Breaking News: CPP wins Senate races

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Breaking News: CPP wins Senate races

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm I think that as westerners, we sometimes place too much emphasis on democracy and we fail to understand that, let's say, different types of democrocies work better for different types of countries.

You only have to look at the state of American politics since Trump arrived on the scene, or British politics ever since Brexit, to know that we have lost the torch-bearer status of democrocy that we once held around the world. You might say that countries where there is only one party which is guaranteed to win every election by whatever means possible is a negative thing, and doesn't truly represent the will of the people, but let's face it, in most 'first-past-the-post' electoral systems like the US and the UK, we only have one more choice than those countries anyway.

In the UK, only the Conservatives or Labour ever win elections. Yes we have smaller parties, but because of the way the system works, they don't have a hope in hell of ever gaining power. The same goes for the US. Only the Democrats or the Republicans will ever win an election. Can we honestly put our hands on our hearts and say that these systems truly represent the will of the people?

It's not so much how governments gain their power, it's what they do with that power that counts. Since the fall of the Khmer Rouge, the CPP (and it's former names) have offered Cambodia a level of political stability that took a while to take hold, but now that it has, foreign investors largely see Cambodia as a pretty safe bet when it comes to investing here, which is transforming the Cambodian economy in ways Cambodia could not do on its own.

But more importantly, is the way autocratic governments treat their citizens. Of course, a lot more can be done to solve the poverty issues here, as well as social services, healthcare and state education, all of which are serious issues which I'm not simply brushing under the carpet, but people generally aren't fearful of their government, so long as they don't cross certain lines, namely being too critical of them publicly.

The government don't seem to have any interest in exerting unnecessary control over it's people. Citizens aren't routinely stopped in the streets and asked for their papers, or treated with suspicion. The government don't seem to give two hoots about what people do, where they go, who their friends are, where that large questionable bank deposit came from. Despite the odd rogue police officer, (which you get in any country) the police aren't known for being overtly corrupt on a day-to-day basis. I'm talking about things like 'discovering' a bag of drugs in your car which leaves you with the option of paying the corrupt officer a large bribe or facing some jail time. From what I hear from the Khmer friends I know and have known, the police have a pretty good reputation here, which is more than can be said for my country.

People often ask me why I choose to live in Cambodia, and whilst the honest answer is that there is no one single answer, one of the main reasons is that I feel a hell of a lot freer in Cambodia than I do back home. I don't feel like the government is breathing down my neck all the time, either wanting my money, or wanting to know what I'm doing with my money. I'm not constantly tracked and spied on by CCTV every time I set foot out of my door. I feel free to do whatever I like, whenever I like and with whom I like, within laws that I feel are generally reasonable, not repressive and don't infringe on my freedoms, so long as I use some common sense when speaking about the government publicly, which to me, is a pretty good trade off.

Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm much more concerned with political stability, reasonably low crime rates, especially when it comes to serious crime, a sense of freedom, nobody abusing my human rights, and the right to go about my own business without having to explain myself at each and every step.

Cambodia pretty much ticks those boxes for me. So to be honest, I couldn't care less how those in power got there.
It's all freedom and justice for all, until someone high up eyes something that's yours. The sheer impunity of those make the system unsustainable in the long run I think.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

xandreu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm I think that as westerners, we sometimes place too much emphasis on democracy and we fail to understand that...

It's not so much how governments gain their power, it's what they do with that power that counts.

...free to do whatever I like, whenever I like and with whom I like, within laws that I feel are generally reasonable, not repressive and don't infringe on my freedoms...
Uhhm, you are not aware that the family has accumulated 3 to 4 billions in riches courtesy of the average poor Cambodian?

And as to your sense of "freedom" here in Cambodia. Is it REAL? Or, is it based merely on your extraordinary wealth compared to the locals? Seriously, how does your sense of freedom compare to the "freedom" of actual ordinary citizens of a nation which does not tolerate any public general strike for better wages or land justice or any form of free speech or criticism, etc, etc, etc ...?

Generals and dictators from Myanmar to Thailand to Vietnam and China are "free" to deposit large fortunes in the pure-minded banks of incorruptible Singapore, and rich Arabs and Japanese art collectors -- anyone -- can freely deposit their treasures -- gold bars, diamonds, Picassos -- in a commercially operated private vault underground right beside Changi International Airport in Singapore, too. No questions asked ...

That's freedom in Asia. It belongs exclusively to the rich. That means you too, bro!
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm
Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be. I'm much more concerned with political stability, reasonably low crime rates, especially when it comes to serious crime, a sense of freedom, nobody abusing my human rights, and the right to go about my own business without having to explain myself at each and every step.
Don't forget, your freedom is someone else's freedom as well.

When there's large scale corruption and barely any law enforcement, combined with some with impunity, other people can seriously lower your quality of life without much you can do. Of course you could move house if it happens, if you rent.....
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

orichá wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 am
xandreu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm I think that as westerners, we sometimes place too much emphasis on democracy and we fail to understand that...

It's not so much how governments gain their power, it's what they do with that power that counts.

...free to do whatever I like, whenever I like and with whom I like, within laws that I feel are generally reasonable, not repressive and don't infringe on my freedoms...
Uhhm, you are not aware that the family has accumulated 3 to 4 billions in riches courtesy of the average poor Cambodian?

And as to your sense of "freedom" here in Cambodia. Is it REAL? Or, is it based merely on your extraordinary wealth compared to the locals? Seriously, how does your sense of freedom compare to the "freedom" of actual ordinary citizens of a nation which does not tolerate any public general strike for better wages or land justice or any form of free speech or criticism, etc, etc, etc ...?

Generals and dictators from Myanmar to Thailand to Vietnam and China are "free" to deposit large fortunes in the pure-minded banks of incorruptible Singapore, and rich Arabs and Japanese art collectors -- anyone -- can freely deposit their treasures -- gold bars, diamonds, Picassos -- in a commercially operated private vault underground right beside Changi International Airport in Singapore, too. No questions asked ...

That's freedom in Asia. It belongs exclusively to the rich. That means you too, bro!
My entire post was written from a very subjective point of view, as I assumed was obvious from the outset. Of course I'm aware of the political issues that continue to plague Cambodia, I haven't lived under a rock in all the time I've been here. I was going to end my post with something along the lines of "of course I'm aware that I'm speaking from my very priveledged position as a relatively well-off foreigner living in a country that has huge issues with poverty and corruption", but I decided against it as I thought that much would be obvious, and didn't need to be said.

As someone who isn't particularly politically active, I was speaking purely from my own personal, day-to-day experience of living in Cambodia and how it differs from my own, personal, subjective experience of living day-to-day in my own country. I don't deny that a Khmer would have written something entirely different given the same topic, but I'm not Khmer and can only speak of my own personal experiences.

Perhaps I should have stated the obvious after all, as it clearly wasn't as obvious as I assumed.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

xandreu wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:22 pm I think that as westerners, we sometimes place too much emphasis on democracy and we fail to understand that, let's say, different types of democrocies work better for different types of countries.
That is true and stability some times should be valued more then democracy, as we seen in the middle east.

But do you remember before when HE got sick and he said that he would step down if he lost as long as the new leadership wouldnt try to pinch him?

Cambodians seem to rather turn the page and move on then to retaliate just as with Pol Pot. The problem is not democracy and instability among the people but that those who are in power today know that they gained their wealth by illegal means which makes them scared what would happen if they lost the power.

One day they might have to give up the power but withoút guarantees for themselves they wont go down without a fight.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

[
orichá wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 amUhhm, you are not aware that the family has accumulated 3 to 4 billions in riches courtesy of the average poor Cambodian?
Cool, now do Duke of Westminster, or perhaps the Clintons? I'm sure they got their fortunes through sheer hardwork and luck, and certainly not corruption and graft, since a British-manufactured corruption study says that there is relatively no perception of corruption and thus we don't have a valid source to say such a thing! Checkmate!
And as to your sense of "freedom" here in Cambodia. Is it REAL?
It's relatively real, with obvious exceptions that we all in this society are well-aware of, unlike the West where it changes every two years.

The fact that I see nine year olds ride their own motorcycles to school, I can hang out at a bar 'til the crack of dawn without mandatory last call, pay no sales tax on most things and can build a fucking skyscraper in my backyard if I wanted to without some planning commission telling me how to use my own property says it is. Also, no one is going to sack you from your job if you tell a female coworker she is pretty, no one is going to expel your kids from school for "misgendering" their teacher, no one is going to force you onto buying mandatory insurances (or pay into a pool) you don't need.
Or, is it based merely on your extraordinary wealth compared to the locals? Seriously, how does your sense of freedom compare to the "freedom" of actual ordinary citizens of a nation which does not tolerate any public general strike for better wages or land justice or any form of free speech or criticism, etc, etc, etc ...?
...But enough about the United Kingdom and Canada!

And yet Singapore never shoulders any blame because the family dictatorship simply legalised corruption. You can't be perceived as corrupt if corruption is codified in law!
Whereas freedom in the West only belongs to a select, well-connected few regardless of income or status. Just ask Kanye West how it went when he stepped out of line.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

You only have to look at the state of American politics since Trump arrived on the scene, or British politics ever since Brexit, to know that we have lost the torch-bearer status of democrocy that we once held around the world. You might say that countries where there is only one party which is guaranteed to win every election by whatever means possible is a negative thing, and doesn't truly represent the will of the people, but let's face it, in most 'first-past-the-post' electoral systems like the US and the UK, we only have one more choice than those countries anyway.

In the UK, only the Conservatives or Labour ever win elections. Yes we have smaller parties, but because of the way the system works, they don't have a hope in hell of ever gaining power. The same goes for the US. Only the Democrats or the Republicans will ever win an election. Can we honestly put our hands on our hearts and say that these systems truly represent the will of the people?

It's not so much how governments gain their power, it's what they do with that power that counts. Since the fall of the Khmer Rouge, the CPP (and it's former names) have offered Cambodia a level of political stability that took a while to take hold, but now that it has, foreign investors largely see Cambodia as a pretty safe bet when it comes to investing here, which is transforming the Cambodian economy in ways Cambodia could not do on its own.

But more importantly, is the way autocratic governments treat their citizens. Of course, a lot more can be done to solve the poverty issues here, as well as social services, healthcare and state education, all of which are serious issues which I'm not simply brushing under the carpet, but people generally aren't fearful of their government, so long as they don't cross certain lines, namely being too critical of them publicly.

The government don't seem to have any interest in exerting unnecessary control over it's people. Citizens aren't routinely stopped in the streets and asked for their papers, or treated with suspicion. The government don't seem to give two hoots about what people do, where they go, who their friends are, where that large questionable bank deposit came from. Despite the odd rogue police officer, (which you get in any country) the police aren't known for being overtly corrupt on a day-to-day basis. I'm talking about things like 'discovering' a bag of drugs in your car which leaves you with the option of paying the corrupt officer a large bribe or facing some jail time. From what I hear from the Khmer friends I know and have known, the police have a pretty good reputation here, which is more than can be said for my country.

People often ask me why I choose to live in Cambodia, and whilst the honest answer is that there is no one single answer, one of the main reasons is that I feel a hell of a lot freer in Cambodia than I do back home. I don't feel like the government is breathing down my neck all the time, either wanting my money, or wanting to know what I'm doing with my money. I'm not constantly tracked and spied on by CCTV every time I set foot out of my door. I feel free to do whatever I like, whenever I like and with whom I like, within laws that I feel are generally reasonable, not repressive and don't infringe on my freedoms, so long as I use some common sense when speaking about the government publicly, which to me, is a pretty good trade off.

Cambodia pretty much ticks those boxes for me. So to be honest, I couldn't care less how those in power got there.
1.) Do not insult or ridicule Angkor Wat;
2.) Do not attribute Cambodian cultural institutions (e.g, Angkor Wat, Khmer traditional dancing, etc.) to other countries;
3.) Do not insult or ridicule the Buddha, or Buddhism as an institution;
4.)Do not insult or ridicule the King;
5.)Do not insult or ridicule politicians on a personal level, or the Party as an institution (though in my experience, one can be critical), as Anglo-style satire is not tolerated nor appreciated here;
6.) Do not comment on the personal life/lives of the King and politicians.

In all my years of living in Cambodia, these are really the only rules I have ever noticed to be concrete; everything else in society is fair game and open for discussion, and you won't get arrested for stupid shit like folding money the wrong way as you would in Thailand (not to mention, prison sentences tend to be far shorter than Thailand, let alone most other countries in the nation).
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

xandreu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:39 am
orichá wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:56 am

Uhhm, you are not aware that the family has accumulated ...
My entire post was written from a very subjective point of view, as I assumed was obvious from the outset. Of course I'm aware of the political issues that continue to plague Cambodia, I haven't lived under a rock in all the time I've been here. I was going to end my post with something along the lines of "of course I'm aware that I'm speaking from my very priveledged position as a relatively well-off foreigner living in a country that has huge issues with poverty and corruption", but I decided against it as I thought that much would be obvious, and didn't need to be said.

As someone who isn't particularly politically active, I was speaking purely from my own personal, day-to-day experience of living in Cambodia and how it differs from my own, personal, subjective experience of living day-to-day in my own country. I don't deny that a Khmer would have written something entirely different given the same topic, but I'm not Khmer and can only speak of my own personal experiences.

Perhaps I should have stated the obvious after all, as it clearly wasn't as obvious as I assumed.
I understand, and my apologies. You do make several valid points and express them honestly.

I am merely obsessed with trying to understand the motivation of expats ... And the contradictions of being an expat in a poor country...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

SiemReapLOL's comment about the king was funny.
SiemReapLOL
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SiemReapLOL »

LamarFreddie wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:47 pm SiemReapLOL's comment about the king was funny.
I think I was modded.

But there is nothing wrong with supporting the arts. Plenty of manly men are ballet dancers
:banana:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic