Vietnam may waive visas for 6-12 months' stay -- eyeing retiree visa!

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Vietnam may waive visas for 6-12 months' stay -- eyeing retiree visa!

Post by ExPenhMan »

Looks like Vietnam is ready to bust out of the visa doldrums -- largely due to heavy local competition. Just a couple of hours ago, this news was just posted at VN EXpress.

Headline: Vietnam considers visa exemption for nationals of wealthy countries
Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh has instructed immigration agencies to consider waiving visas for visits of six to 12 months for people coming from wealthy countries to drive tourism recovery.

The list of countries whose citizens are unilaterally exempted from visas would be expanded from the current 13, he said in a directive Friday.

The list now has Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Britain, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, and Belarus.

The PM also instructed the agencies to consider issuing long-term and multiple-entry visas from 12 to 36 months to attract wealthy foreign retirees from Europe, Northeast Asia, North America, India, and some Middle Eastern countries.
Rest of story is mostly just background:
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vie ... 14848.html

--------

Late last night, Voice of Vietnam wrote a rather stronger story:

Headline: Vietnam to offer long-stay visas to attract visitors from high-end markets
VOV.VN - Vietnam will pilot long-term, multiple-entry visas lasting from 12 to 36 months to attract visitors from high-end markets such as Europe, Northeast Asia, North America, India and the Middle East.

It will expand the list of countries whose citizens can enjoy unilateral visa exemption, and pilot visa exemption for short-term periods from 6 to 12 months for visitors from a number of large, high-spending markets.

These are part of a Prime Minister directive on comprehensive, fast and sustainable tourism development which was promulgated recently.

The PM assigned the Ministry of Public Security in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and relevant agencies to study and propose those preferential policies.

He requested that the Ministry of Public Security examine, propose and apply online exit and entry procedures through the facial recognition system (FaceID) and electronic passport (E-Passport) to create convenience for visitors.
Rest of story has more tourism stuff at link:

https://english.vov.vn/en/travel/vietna ... 078631.vov

Earlier thread: New Vietnam draft law to offer 3-month e-visa

topic54159.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Vietnam may waive visas for 6-12 months' stay -- eyeing retiree visa!

Post by phuketrichard »

anytime i see the phrase "....attract wealthy westerners....." I know there will be a high amount of $$$ required either in the persons home countries bank or in the other countries bank and or a HIGH pension/month
to be approved
so just cause you come from a "wealthy" country does not mean you will qualify.

But of course, i could be wrong

Currently all i see for visa exempt, is 15-45 days,https://www.vietnam-visa.com/vietnam-visa-exemption/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

Bring back the USA 1-year Visa.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

stevenjb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:14 am Bring back the USA 1-year Visa.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Boredom is like a shroud
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

cabron wrote:
stevenjb wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:14 am Bring back the USA 1-year Visa.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Give it a year. As the US companies move more production from China to a Vietnam and the militaries get more cozy defending a new common enemy, views change.

At least that’s the hope.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm currently in Vietnam and I'm seeing many tourists having a great time, BUT I think they should really give visa exempt entry to more countries as planned, because the current list of countries is strangely limited.

I think they could attract quite a few snowbirds if they introduce the long-term visas or exemptions mentioned, and as someone whose favorite retirement destination would be Da Nang, I'm quite happy that they are finally at least seriously considering retirement visas.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I sure as hell hope it comes to pass. As with most issues regarding Vietnam immigration, I'll believe it when I see it.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:I'm currently in Vietnam and I'm seeing many tourists having a great time, BUT I think they should really give visa exempt entry to more countries as planned, because the current list of countries is strangely limited.

I think they could attract quite a few snowbirds if they introduce the long-term visas or exemptions mentioned, and as someone whose favorite retirement destination would be Da Nang, I'm quite happy that they are finally at least seriously considering retirement visas.
Da Nang Lung. Something read about in historical textbooks, never got a chance to see where it came from.

Something for retirement. See all the famous places.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Alex wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:41 am I'm currently in Vietnam and I'm seeing many tourists having a great time, BUT I think they should really give visa exempt entry to more countries as planned, because the current list of countries is strangely limited.

Yes, it is about time VN got off its butt and did something more positive than the 90-day visa. << This doesn't do it for me. Having to leave every 90 days -- four times a year -- would be very frustrating when the timing doesn't work.

Re Da Nang. I have never been. Before COVID saw quite a few videos that gave me a good impression, although it was turning out to be a Little Korea. I would appreciate a short list of Likes. I used to be a Vung Tau fan but it's a shadow of itself these days -- was just there last month. Thanks.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

What is that faint light in the distant night sky over Vietnam? Maybe we will know a little more after next Monday, 18th. Subject is the proposed extensive expansion of the visa waiver policy. However, nothing in this story about the earlier mentioned generous length of stays to be allowed. I actually wasn't expecting any news for months. Maybe the start is near.

From VN Express published Thursday:
Headline: Visa exemption to be discussed at National Assembly next week
Vietnamese tourism promotion and visa exemption will be discussed at the ongoing session of the National Assembly (NA) Standing Committee.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Bui Thanh Son will answer questions related to the issue of visa exemption for citizens of certain countries on March 18, according to the government's portal.

In a report submitted to the committee before the question-and-answer session, Son said his ministry will work closely with the Ministry of Public Security to propose the list of eligible countries for unilateral expansion.

He said his ministry has been increasing promotion campaigns about Vietnam's visa policy and guiding foreign citizens to carry out e-visa applications.

Last month, Prime Minister Pham Minh Chinh ordered the ministries of foreign affairs and public security ministries to expand the list of countries whose citizens are unilaterally exempted from visas from the current 13.
Not much else in the rest of this report:

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/vis ... 22293.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic