Great news for CEO golfers ...

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Great news for CEO golfers ...

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm Golf is ridiculously overpriced in Cambodia. This will.br another $100 plus tax plus tips plus caddy plus cart plus plus a round.

With course lifetime membership available for $40,000 plus.
And membership doesn't even let you play for free, just for a reduced price. Back home I had annual memberahip of a local, very good course for about £1500 a year, this allowed me free access to the course anytime. I'd call in on the way home from work in the summer time for 9 holes a few times a week. And also played nearly every weekend.

Golf is more than twice as expensive here than in UK. I really enjoy it but I just can't justify the expense of playing regularly here.
City Golf in Russey Keo is just $10 per nine holes weekdays and never busy ($15 after noon) ... they do a good job of keeping up the grounds ... 100 on the range balls just $5. I think I read that City Garden has 5-rounds of 18 for $275. Some courses in Pattaya are under $50 for 18. I think the prices will eventually have to come down. Vietnam has about 100 courses with 100 under construction (seems).
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Seems Singapore has some Eco-friendly courses ...

https://golfmatters.com/index.php/play- ... olf-awards
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:59 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm Golf is ridiculously overpriced in Cambodia. This will.br another $100 plus tax plus tips plus caddy plus cart plus plus a round.

And membership doesn't even let you play for free, just for a reduced price. Back home I had annual memberahip of a local, very good course for about £1500 a year, this allowed me free access to the course anytime. I'd call in on the way home from work in the summer time for 9 holes a few times a week. And also played nearly every weekend.

Golf is more than twice as expensive here than in UK. I really enjoy it but I just can't justify the expense of playing regularly here.
City Golf in Russey Keo is just $10 per nine holes weekdays and never busy ($15 after noon) ... they do a good job of keeping up the grounds ... 100 on the range balls just $5. I think I read that City Garden has 5-rounds of 18 for $275. Some courses in Pattaya are under $50 for 18. I think the prices will eventually have to come down. Vietnam has about 100 courses with 100 under construction (seems).
City golf can be fun but it's a pitch and putt course. The biggest club you need is an 8 iron - if the wind is against you.
It's not really a good substitute for a big course.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:50 pm

City golf can be fun but it's a pitch and putt course. The biggest club you need is an 8 iron - if the wind is against you.
Short game is king … putt to win on Sunday afternoon.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:21 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:50 pm

Short game is king … putt to win on Sunday afternoon.
It's fine for practice. But at City Golf, you with your 350 yard drives will be playing 4 holes in one go.

But given that you must use a tee - from 60 yards it doesn't really give you a real game scenario for the short game.
Don't get me wrong, i play it from time to time, and have fun. But it is a poor substitute for a proper course.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Not everybody use tee … and getting one’s up & down percentage to 60 or more is important to play well.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

“I regard golf as an expensive way of playing marbles.”
― G.K. Chesterton
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:03 pm Not everybody use tee … and getting one’s up & down percentage to 60 or more is important to play well.
Yes, like I said. It's fine for practice.
But IMO its not a good substitute for a proper course
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:54 am This is great news for those who can afford it.

I guess they can work on alleviating poverty some other time.
It does seem a long way for Americans to fly to play a round of golf when they could be cleaning up San Francisco I have to agree. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Khmerican
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmerican »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:29 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:21 pm Just growing a decent all year green lawn will be major expensive hurdle in that part of the world.
Yes, but you could also employ 15 Khmer staff for the cost of one junior green keeper in the UK.
Greenskeepers in Snooky in 2001

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic