This weeks cambodian talking points

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: This weeks cambodian talking points

Post by Bluenose »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:27 am
Bluenose wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:09 am
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:44 am
Bluenose wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:42 pm It's almost like Cambodia Daily bears some sort of grudge against the authorities here...
Not surprising "The Cambodia Daily is a US-based English and Khmer language news site" which tends to print US grudges against the Cambodia authorities. :cry: :D
I take it you understand why it is now a US based website and not a Cambodian based newspaper
Emphasis on "US grudges", since it's obvious that these articles are written at the behest of US benefactors: For example, how many Khmer citizens actually give a shit about Western-style transgenderism, which is viewed as a cultural-bound syndrome at best, greeted with ridicule and laughter at worst?

I can't think of a single average Cambodian (i.e, didn't graduate from some elite institution like American Intercon School followed by Western uni) who actually gives a shit about these issues, so Uncle Sam's pawprints are blatantly obvious on this publication.
Just so we are all on the same page, you aware of the history of the Cambodia Daily aren't you? As in "I take it you understand why it is now a US based website and not a Cambodian based newspaper". I imagine you are but if not...
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:54 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote:
Bluenose wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:42 pm It's almost like Cambodia Daily bears some sort of grudge against the authorities here...
Not surprising "The Cambodia Daily is a US-based English and Khmer language news site" which tends to print US grudges against the Cambodia authorities. :cry: :D
I take it you understand why it is now a US based website and not a Cambodian based newspaper
Emphasis on "US grudges", since it's obvious that these articles are written at the behest of US benefactors: For example, how many Khmer citizens actually give a shit about Western-style transgenderism, which is viewed as a cultural-bound syndrome at best, greeted with ridicule and laughter at worst?

I can't think of a single average Cambodian (i.e, didn't graduate from some elite institution like American Intercon School followed by Western uni) who actually gives a shit about these issues, so Uncle Sam's pawprints are blatantly obvious on this publication.
So are you are saying that the Cambodia Daily is being funded by and told what to say by a US government overseas organization like the CIA or FBI?
The United States has a long history of doing this.. For example, one of my favourite authors growing up was Peter Matthiessen (East of Lo Manthang, The Snow Leopard, etc.), and I grew up wide-eyed and amazed with which the passion he wrote about pursuing such an elusive creature in the Tibetan Plateau, taking inspiration with his love of the exotic and different...so imagine how that idyllic view of the man's writing was shattered when it was revealed when I was still a boy that he didn't give a shit about snow leopards, or discovering lost cultural landscapes, but was using the story as a cover to spy on Chinese positions in the northern Himalayas, with the Paris Review used itself to push US foreign policy interests in a very subtle manner.

When you realise that they go to such an extant to spy on even their own citizens and force their propaganda down their throats, why would it be surprising that a publication which only publishes explicitly negative news about the current leadership and the Party could almost certainly be influenced by the the US government and their apparatchiks?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Whilst criticism from foreign media isn't something governments particularly welcome, (no shit Sherlock) their priority is what their own citizens think / are saying about them. Foreign media can criticise all they like, (what's that saying about getting your own house in order before casting stones..) but unless they begin some kind of orchestrated effort to overthrow the ruling government, which does happen of course, however, I can't envisage that happening in Cambodia, I don't think the government here see media outlets such as Cambodia Daily as that much of of an existential threat to them.

Why? Because not only is it not written in Khmer (as far as I know), and therefore unlikely to be read by your average Khmer, but we all know that Khmers have very limited knowledge or even interest in world affairs outside of their own country. Many can barely name the president of the United States, (to be fair, neither can the President of the United States) let alone any other world leaders (Xi Jinping might be an exception). They generally have no interest in what foreign media are saying about anything, and that includes opinions on their own country. I know many Khmers who have no idea what is going on in Israel / Gaza as an example.

Of course, having a media outlet operating in your own country which openly criticises the government is different. But that's more about having a level of control over the media as a whole, as well as saving face. If you allow one media organisation to be openly critical of the government, you're opening the doors to many media outlets doing it, which would certainly turn into a very different situation for the government.

But I don't think the Cambodian Government are really that bothered about a Substack (name me one Khmer who has ever even heard of Substack) which not only criticises them from the safety of a foreign country, but you could count on two hands how many Khmers will read, and rarely contains anything of any surprise to them - if you're a Khmer who does take an interest in the publication, then you probably already have a good idea of how the government works, and are already familiar with what sort of content it produces.

It's the masses revolting that is the government's main priority. And I don't think the Cambodia Daily is likely to ignite that kind of spark.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

xandreu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:37 pm

Why because not only is [The Cambodia Daily] not written in Khmer (as far as I know), and therefore unlikely to be read by your average Khmer, but we all know that Khmers have very limited knowledge or even interest in world affairs outside of their own country.
Cambodia Daily still publishes content in their Khmer edition, while the English page has almost no original content anymore and merely is an aggregator for anti-Cambodian propaganda from across the internet.
Many can barely name the president of the United States, (to be fair, neither can the President of the United States) let alone any other world leaders (Xi Jinping might be an exception). They generally have no interest in what foreign media are saying about anything, and that includes opinions on their own country. I know many Khmers who have no idea what is going on in Israel / Gaza as an example.
1.) Khmer are actually more intelligent than most peoples in my experience and actually *do* have opinions on these issues; but between a culture that encourages cooperation and consensus and the long history of political violence and reprisal as well as civil war, it's generally considered taboo to talk about political issues except among very close friends, or like-minded, politically-oriented individuals. Khmer are very opinionated people, but they generally do not share this side with people they do not know well (and in fact, if they begin to get uncomfortable with a topic, they will usually say something along the lines of "អត់ដឹងអីផងទេ/I don't know too much about it" so as to politely end the discussion).

2.) They *do* have an intense interest in foreign news and current events...just generally not from Western countries is all. News from Korea, Japan Thailand and Vietnam are considered especially important, and most here follow these foreign stories through the narratives they can relate to (e.g , the Thai migrants being trapped in Israel was a very popular topic on Tiktok);

3.) Many popular podcasts on Youtube and Tiktok exist on a variety of topics, and most Khmer rely on these for information than they would media, due to a long history of distrust: Youtubers like Maorm cover movies and pop culture, Kanitha covers current events (which by the way, all her most popular videos are on NATO vs Russia), science and general topics as does ShareKnowledge etc. Etc. It can't be understated how important these channels are as conduits of information as generally everyone I know listens to them.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:32 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:54 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote:

So are you are saying that the Cambodia Daily is being funded by and told what to say by a US government overseas organization like the CIA or FBI?
The United States has a long history of doing this.. For example, one of my favourite authors growing up was Peter Matthiessen (East of Lo Manthang, The Snow Leopard, etc.), and I grew up wide-eyed and amazed with which the passion he wrote about pursuing such an elusive creature in the Tibetan Plateau, taking inspiration with his love of the exotic and different...so imagine how that idyllic view of the man's writing was shattered when it was revealed when I was still a boy that he didn't give a shit about snow leopards, or discovering lost cultural landscapes, but was using the story as a cover to spy on Chinese positions in the northern Himalayas, with the Paris Review used itself to push US foreign policy interests in a very subtle manner.

When you realise that they go to such an extant to spy on even their own citizens and force their propaganda down their throats, why would it be surprising that a publication which only publishes explicitly negative news about the current leadership and the Party could almost certainly be influenced by the the US government and their apparatchiks?
Please, one of his biggest regrets was being a "spy"
In 1953, Matthiessen co-founded what would become one of the most important literary magazines of the 20th Century, The Paris Review. But he did it as a cover for his CIA activities — the only adventure in his long life that he said he ever regretted.

"I was a spy," he said. "When I went in there, it was the end of the Cold War — Russia was a great menace out there in the distance. It was considered very patriotic to join the CIA. I didn't know my politics were going to veer leftward, and that I would really come to despise the CIA."

Matthiessen's politics led to a lifelong career as an activist. He wrote books about union organizer Cesar Chavez, the American Indian Movement and the disappearing fishermen on Eastern Long Island.
as to what the Cambodian daily writes
every news organization has an agenda
very few, report ONLY the truth without at least a little bias.

its the way things are
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:40 am
Please, one of his biggest regrets was being a "spy"
How do we really know? Everything in his entire career beginning with the Paris Review were cover for his CIA activities (as he admitted in an interview with Charlie Rose); So is it also possible he was looking out for his own posterity, since a lot of his activities may (possibly) have been less than legitimate?

The problem with people who built an identity and career on lying is that they lie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic