Car and Motorcycle permits to exit Cambodia to Laos

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Car and Motorcycle permits to exit Cambodia to Laos

Post by orichá »

When travelling from Cambodia to Laos one is supposed to have a temporary export permit for the vehicle. But, I have forgotten which bureau issues this permit. I think it may be the Customs and Excise office, or the Motor Vehicle License bureau.

When you enter Laos with a car or moto, you register your vehicle and get a receipt from Laotian customs at the border. One is supposed also to have a temporary export permit in hand from the Cambodian government before arriving at the border. This document is only available somewhere in Phnom Penh.

Can anyone recall the name and address of the correct office to obtain the exit permit/vehicle (customs?) registration permit/form?

I know this is required, because I was asked for my temporary vehicle export permission document upon my RETURN to Cambodia by motorcycle from Laos before COVID by Cambodian customs at the border... For a motorcycle, they were not strict because as I did not have it, and I paid only 10 dollars.

However, by car, I imagine it is necessary to have the correct paperwork before heading off to the border.

If anyone can recollect the office, please let me know.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Car and Motorcycle permits to exit Cambodia to Laos

Post by orichá »

As I thought, none of you actually live here in Cambodia, or stray much farther than Pattaya, Phuket or the riverside bars, lol...

I've been to Laos twice by bicycle and motorcycle...

Hasn't anyone else crossed the border in a car with the correct paperwork?
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Car and Motorcycle permits to exit Cambodia to Laos

Post by ressl »

I did, but long ago (2018) and with an ATA Carnet De Passage. The Cambodian side was a bit costly, the Laos side easy and straight forward.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic