bank charging 3% to pay off loan

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

bank charging 3% to pay off loan

Post by phuketrichard »

has anyone come across this
we are selling a piece of land we brought and had borrowed form the bank some $$
the loan is 3 years Old
wife has told me the bank is charging us 3% more to pay it off
is this for real?
what a SCAM
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: bank charging 3% to pay off loan

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Banks in many countries charge an early repayment fee, or 'break cost', it is a penalty charged if you pay back more than your fixed monthly repayment or pay the whole loan off too early...its a shit policy, you get penalised for early repayment because the bank is losing out on all the potential interest, but it would have been stated in the T&C's of your loan agreement so you shouldn't be surprised.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Very real and not a scam. The 3% seems higher than most, but given what these banks give out on interest rates for term deposits it’s probably in line.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

That's quite a thing even in (some? many?) Western countries.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am has anyone come across this
we are selling a piece of land we brought and had borrowed form the bank some $$
the loan is 3 years Old
wife has told me the bank is charging us 3% more to pay it off
is this for real?
what a SCAM
Normal globally unless one takes credit from a Credit Union or other less-predatory-than-industry-standard institution
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:24 am Banks in many countries charge an early repayment fee, or 'break cost', it is a penalty charged if you pay back more than your fixed monthly repayment or pay the whole loan off too early...its a shit policy, you get penalised for early repayment because the bank is losing out on all the potential interest, but it would have been stated in the T&C's of your loan agreement so you shouldn't be surprised.
i was led to believe that if we paid it off in the first year there was a penalty which i understand, but after 3 years??
Not like this in the states or Thailand ( both where i have had loans)
I never got to see the T&C before we got the loan<
My mistake

so i take it, its 3% of monies owed?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I think it’s more dependent on how long the loan was for and when you decide to pay off in full.

I’ve paid two (2) 5-year vehicle loans off early, between 6-9 months, and was never penalized.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:47 am I think it’s more dependent on how long the loan was for and when you decide to pay off in full.

I’ve paid two (2) 5-year vehicle loans off early, between 6-9 months, and was never penalized.
5 year loan already paid 3 1/2 years
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am
Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:47 am I think it’s more dependent on how long the loan was for and when you decide to pay off in full.

I know in the U.S. they use compound interest on home/auto loans and the majority of the interest is paid early in the loan, the principal and interest paid is not the same every month. That’s why when I paid those two (2) vehicles off it was mainly principal with very little interest left.

Don’t know how Cambodian banks determine how much of the payment each month goes towards the principal.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:06 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:57 am

I know in the U.S. they use compound interest on home/auto loans and the majority of the interest is paid early in the loan, the principal and interest paid is not the same every month. That’s why when I paid those two (2) vehicles off it was mainly principal with very little interest left.

Don’t know how Cambodian banks determine how much of the payment each month goes towards the principal.
Any loan I've had here also works on that principle
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic