bank charging 3% to pay off loan

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: bank charging 3% to pay off loan

Post by Kenr »

Then that 3% sounds a little steep.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Put the money you got from the land on the bank and probably you get more then 3% for it, and you just keep on paying the bank-loan, without losing anything, then you "scam the scammers" if you look to it as a a scam . . .
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:19 am has anyone come across this
we are selling a piece of land we brought and had borrowed form the bank some $$
the loan is 3 years Old
wife has told me the bank is charging us 3% more to pay it off
is this for real?
what a SCAM
This is extremely common. Most long term loans will have conditions like this, unless it's a very flexible one. Usually they will allow you to pay off a maximum extra percentage of the original loan-sum per year (5% for instance) without any penalties but they will charge you a penalty for missed income if you pay off more. Info will be in the fineprint of the contract.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:29 pm Put the money you got from the land on the bank and probably you get more then 3% for it, and you just keep on paying the bank-loan, without losing anything, then you "scam the scammers" if you look to it as a a scam . . .
that is NOT a good idea
interest rate is 10% on the loan<
interest rate on savings is , what about 6-7.5%?
.... Info will be in the fineprint of the contract.
yea, i never even saw the contract as wife's sister got the loan for us while we were still in Phuket
big Mistake!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Question for the OP.

Would paying the 3% to pay the loan off early cause you to pay more than if you kept the land and continued to make payments for the next 1 1/2 years?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

All depends on the loan terms and length.

In the US, 20-30 year fixed loans on a home (and land) is common.

Paying off the loan in 5 years or less robs a bank of the compounded interest rate on that loan, hence the tacking on the 3% charge. And yes, loans are loaded with interest payments at the start of the loan.

But on average, paying off a loan early is still cheaper than paying the loan off over time. Most just can’t afford to do so. (Me included).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kenr wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:49 pm Question for the OP.

Would paying the 3% to pay the loan off early cause you to pay more than if you kept the land and continued to make payments for the next 1 1/2 years?
LESS
if its only 3% of the balance ( $6,750) $202
to keep paying off the loan, interest would be about $525

the land we are selling is another piece that we dont really need, ( at least i dont) the loan is for the land we built the house on which we are keeping.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:24 pm

LESS

the land we are selling is another piece that we dont really need, ( at least i dont) the loan is for the land we built the house on which we are keeping.
Without sounding like a smart arse; why didn't you just sell the land in the first place to build the house?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YaTingPom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 am

LESS

Without sounding like a smart arse; why didn't you just sell the land in the first place to build the house?
well seems u have it in for me with ur constant picking on my posts without knowing anything about me
but since i am a better person, I'll respond

Land in Svay Rieng is not nearly worth what land in Kep is
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:23 am
YaTingPom wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:04 am

LESS

well seems u have it in for me with ur constant picking on my posts without knowing anything about me
but since i am a better person, I'll respond

Land in Svay Rieng is not nearly worth what land in Kep is
How is my question picking on you, it was a genuine question? Just curious.

Amusing you say I know nothing about you then you claim you are a better person than me, without even knowing anything about me! Bravo. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic