Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

which country do you love in Asia/SE Asia and will always return to?

Thailand
34%
Cambodia
29%
Laos
No votes
Vietnam
17%
Burma
7%
India
2%
Nepal
2%
Sri Lanka
No votes
Malaysia
2%
Indonesia
5%

Total votes: 41
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Post by phuketrichard »

the poll "how long in Cambodia " got me thinking.
other than the country ur living in, which country in Asia/ SE Asia have you visited more than once and will always return back to>
choose 2

for me its
Burma
Nepal

I wanted to add
Philippines
South Korea
Japan
China
Singapore
but limited to 10
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Post by ressl »

+1 for Bangladesh
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Being an Australian eighteen year-old with a new passport Bali was almost a rite of passage for the first sojourn abroad. Little did I know then how that first foray overseas to Indonesia would shape much of my future and the love affair which would follow over the following forty years.

It’s hard to articulate my fondness for the country as describing the food, beaches, people, lifestyle, and the many other aspects I enjoy about the place, seems to be inadequate. I feel I've got a deeper connection to Indonesia, and at the risk of sounding like some pretentious knob or hippie dipshit - it’s become a state of mind.

As soon as I arrive there’s a sense of relief, a feeling that everything before, the frustrating tumult of existence that once was, has evaporated and I’m reduced to my simplest and best self.

I haven’t travelled as much as some, but those places I have seen don’t affect me in the way Indonesia does. I’m rather pleased to be heading there again soon for a couple of months, and with any luck a more permanent move isn’t too far beyond the horizon.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:23 pm the poll "how long in Cambodia " got me thinking.
other than the country ur living in, which country in Asia/ SE Asia have you visited more than once and will always return back to>
choose 2

for me its
Burma
Nepal

I wanted to add
Philippines
South Korea
Japan
China
Singapore
but limited to 10
I appreciate the poll, but it's a pity the Philippines aren't in there. They are the second most populous country in South East Asia and have thousands of islands.
I don't want to knock Sri Lanka but..
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I have a crush on Thailand, ever since I went there in 1995 in my first holiday as a teacher. Never experienced anything like that. So different from everything I was used to.

Truly life changing.

The irony is, my plan was to go to China, but the airline I would go with (Tarom) cancelled my ticket for unknown reasons and the only destination within the budget was Bangkok. I always thought I would be able to plan my life, but when I look back so far major events have mainly been coincidental.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Cambodia for me. From the moment I first landed in the country back in 2002, I somehow knew that my connection to the country would be long-lasting. At first, the grip was like a vice and I literally felt I couldn't leave. I remember being on a plane a couple of times,leaving for one reason or another and being reduced almost to tears (sad, I know 🧐). Later, that grip loosened and I no longer live there, but feel compelled to return at least every couple of years, now with my family in tow. Plans change we all know and if you'd have asked me at one time, I would have said that I would spend all of my days in Cambodia, but that wasn't to be. I will return though - definitely my retirement plan!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

‘Would that I knew in the moments of my life what to do . It is always so. I know when it is too late, or I never know. Alas, alas, why was I born a fool and a coward as well?’
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

+1 Singapore
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:14 pm Being an Australian eighteen year-old with a new passport Bali was almost a rite of passage for the first sojourn abroad. Little did I know then how that first foray overseas to Indonesia would shape much of my future and the love affair which would follow over the following forty years.

It’s hard to articulate my fondness for the country as describing the food, beaches, people, lifestyle, and the many other aspects I enjoy about the place, seems to be inadequate. I feel I've got a deeper connection to Indonesia, and at the risk of sounding like some pretentious knob or hippie dipshit - it’s become a state of mind.

As soon as I arrive there’s a sense of relief, a feeling that everything before, the frustrating tumult of existence that once was, has evaporated and I’m reduced to my simplest and best self.

I haven’t travelled as much as some, but those places I have seen don’t affect me in the way Indonesia does. I’m rather pleased to be heading there again soon for a couple of months, and with any luck a more permanent move isn’t too far beyond the horizon.
Yeah, Bali for me. Away from the obvious tourist spots, there are still plenty of beautiful areas.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Living in Thailand, it's Cambodia (I was there last week) and Vietnam (that's where I'm right now) for me, hands down.

I tend to avoid Muslim countries (Malaysia and Indonesia); unless I have to go there, those inbred goat fuckers won't get any money from me. Laos is too boring, "Burma" aka Myanmar too unrest-y, India and Nepal are dirty shit holes. Sri Lanka, no idea and not really interested.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic