Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.

which country do you love in Asia/SE Asia and will always return to?

Thailand
34%
Cambodia
29%
Laos
No votes
Vietnam
17%
Burma
7%
India
2%
Nepal
2%
Sri Lanka
No votes
Malaysia
2%
Indonesia
5%

Total votes: 41
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Okinawa
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Other than where you live, which country in SE Asia/Asia will you always return to

Post by Chuck Borris »

Thailand and Cambodia. Lived there, have many friends there.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:I have a crush on Thailand, ever since I went there in 1995 in my first holiday as a teacher. Never experienced anything like that. So different from everything I was used to.

Truly life changing.

The irony is, my plan was to go to China, but the airline I would go with (Tarom) cancelled my ticket for unknown reasons and the only destination within the budget was Bangkok. I always thought I would be able to plan my life, but when I look back so far major events have mainly been coincidental.
Sorry, they cancelled your ticket.

New Chinese state law mandates all businesses over ten employees be in a partnership with a state company, in this case Air China, with the state company taking the controlling share of the partnership.

All the private airlines are funneling ‘profits’ into state companies keeping the state afloat. Willingly or not. One owner of a private airline is now in prison and his company now run by Air China. Officially, he just left and gave everything he owns to the state.

But yet the foreign ministry encourages visitors to come back to China. Just like the encouraging foreign businesses to return to China and set up shop. But at the same time imprisoning foreign businessmen under the espionage law for doing their jobs.

Sorry for derailing this wonderful thread.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:25 pm
Kammekor wrote:I have a crush on Thailand, ever since I went there in 1995 in my first holiday as a teacher. Never experienced anything like that. So different from everything I was used to.

Truly life changing.

The irony is, my plan was to go to China, but the airline I would go with (Tarom) cancelled my ticket for unknown reasons and the only destination within the budget was Bangkok. I always thought I would be able to plan my life, but when I look back so far major events have mainly been coincidental.

New Chinese state law mandates all businesses over ten employees be in a partnership with a state company, in this case Air China, with the state company taking the controlling share of the partnership.

All the private airlines are funneling ‘profits’ into state companies keeping the state afloat. Willingly or not. One owner of a private airline is now in prison and his company now run by Air China. Officially, he just left and gave everything he owns to the state.

But yet the foreign ministry encourages visitors to come back to China. Just like the encouraging foreign businesses to return to China and set up shop. But at the same time imprisoning foreign businessmen under the espionage law for doing their jobs.

For some reason, I think you are not!

No idea what the point of your rant is. Maybe the reunification of Taiwan with Emperor Xi's China will eventually shut you up.
Last edited by Alex on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Truly life changing.

NKotB, would you mind clarifying what you mean? 1995 was an unfortunate year for Tarom, and there was a lot going on during those years.
Plus- whatever Chinese laws dictate in domestic companies, doesn’t generally apply to companies outside. No matter what the likes of Little Pinks would like us to believe.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Truly life changing.

My experience was back in 1995, China wasn't really on the world map back then. Maybe Deng Xiaoping was still in charge at the time? Have to look it up, but I am pretty sure China was in its' pioneering phase looking for growth.
I don't think you can compare that China to current China.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:37 pm

Truly life changing.

NKotB, would you mind clarifying what you mean? 1995 was an unfortunate year for Tarim, and there was a lot going on during those years.
Plus- whatever Chinese laws dictate in domestic companies, doesn’t generally apply to companies outside. No matter what the likes of Little Pinks would like us to believe.
The ninetees were challenging times for all Eastern European airlines. They had to make the change from state airlines to private companies with a large legacy

But what did I know back then?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Truly life changing.

It ended up being a life changing event for me, in a positive way, so no need for a sorry.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Truly life changing.

Isn't Tarom the Romanian airline? What does that have to do with private airlines in China?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Ong Tay wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:49 pm

Truly life changing.

Isn't Tarom the Romanian airline? What does that have to do with private airlines in China?
It is / was.
Well informed U r.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic