No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

This is something that always leaves me perplexed ... why is it that so many people drive these crazy streets and highways without putting a brain-bucket on their crumb-grabbers ... I would love to hear from some Khmer perspectives on this question ... please forgive me if it's been covered before.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

Post by ItWasntMe »

The law used to be that only the driver has to wear a helmet.
As multiple helmets costs multiple times of X, your typical village family would opt for buying minimum sets of helmets.

The law has changed, but it's rarely enforced, and only between larger hubs -- never within villages or smaller towns.

Obviously, helmets are not traditionally part of the local culture.
The roads used to be complete shit, the bikes old and slow, they would ride around in slow-mo not needing helmets to stay safe.

Times have obviously changed, but habits stay the same.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If you ask the average Khmer, seemingly the primary reason for wearing a helmet is to avoid paying a fine. The rather fatalistic attitude towards safety meaning that road safety isn’t really a main thinking point. In fact, safety in general.

Which means the authorities have failed in delivering the safety message. The emphasis is on financial punishment, not avoidable injury prevention. And local helmets are generally trash, which serve the purpose of establishing an appearance of safety.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

ItWasntMe wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:25 pm The law used to be that only the driver has to wear a helmet.
As multiple helmets costs multiple times of X, your typical village family would opt for buying minimum sets of helmets.

The law has changed, but it's rarely enforced, and only between larger hubs -- never within villages or smaller towns.

Obviously, helmets are not traditionally part of the local culture.
The roads used to be complete shit, the bikes old and slow, they would ride around in slow-mo not needing helmets to stay safe.

Times have obviously changed, but habits stay the same.
Khmers don't have any concern about laws and regulations, free for all.
Boredom is like a shroud
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Despite the law saying that people have to wear helmets when riding a Moto, there are no standards or safety regulations in place which dictate a level of quality of the helmets sold.

This is why you can easily pick up a helmet for $10 which offers you little more protection than an eggshell. The legal obligation to wear a moto helmet is largely meaningless if there are no laws in place which ensure that the helmet will actually protect you in the event of an accident.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

As this is just another general chatter type topic, rather than a serious question by the OP, this thread is changing zip-code to the appropriate subforum. Hold onto yer helmets…
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:34 pm This is something that always leaves me perplexed ... why is it that so many people drive these crazy streets and highways without putting a brain-bucket on their crumb-grabbers ... I would love to hear from some Khmer perspectives on this question ... please forgive me if it's been covered before.
It has been ( covered ) before , I thought I remembered commenting
so I looked and found it : general-chatter/wearing-helmet-t55968.html
I’m surprized yours was not moved there 👆🏽
My new $2.50 helmet allready needs a staple to hold the strap buckle on .
I saw a few checkpoints before I got it , they let me go .
But I dint want to irk them so got a new helmet and don’t see them anymore.
No matter , I never see an old post I started regarding “ donations “
I wonder if it just disappeared ? I still have that big rice cooker ..
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

They don't want to put helmets on kids because it hinders the growth of the skull.....or so some believe.

Thus in adulthood some adults have baby sized heads but fully formed bodies, all because their parents put safety first.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

If they're your kids, buy a quality helmet for them. Or even better, buy a car.

If they're NOT your kids, mind your own business.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

When I was a kid, my dad took me out for rides on his CBR600F and I was always wearing a(n integral) helmet and leather jacket. In a recap I am actually not exactly sure if all of that would have helped a lot, since he drove that thing on the limits of the purpose it was built. At least neither of us ever told mum about it...
Anyway, if I see families with kids wearing a helmet, always give them a Thumbs Up sign. Just to give a bit of mental support to them and hopefully others to see and copy (I know...).
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic