No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: No helmet kids on motos ... #WTFO?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:42 pm Not to justify not wearing helmets or anything, but it wasn't that long ago when safety measures we take for granted today in Western countries were more of a suggestion.

You could smoke anywhere - if the kids in the back of the car whined about Dad smoking he'd tell them to open a bloody window. Nobody wore bike (bicycle) helmets, high visibility vests didn't exist, sunscreen was called suntan lotion and was actually oil designed to fry you and make you tan, you could throw the kids on the back of the ute or trailer and drive through town, driving drunk wasn't 'all that' bad as long you didn't think you were too pissed to drive, kids walked or rode their bike to school because people weren't worried about perverts snatching kids back then. Workplaces like farms, fishing boats, forestry etc were much more dangerous and with none of the regulations we have now because back then you were expected to use your common sense. School kids were allowed - even encouraged - to play rough, full-contact games during lunchtime at school and when the kids sometimes broke an arm or something it was just boys being boys. After school you could buy firecrackers and blow shit up - just don't blow your fingers off or chuck them at your brother ya silly wee bugger! Kids went to the river, lake, or beach and swam wherever they wanted, there were no lifeguards or 'swim between the flags' areas. We climbed trees and sometimes fell out of them. Life was more dangerous, but at the same time, people were ok with it.
^ Apart from smoking ban and less drink driving; it's still just like that around where I come from - which IS from the middle of rural nowhere
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:46 pm
Random Dude wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:42 pm Not to justify not wearing helmets or anything, but it wasn't that long ago when safety measures we take for granted today in Western countries were more of a suggestion.

You could smoke anywhere - if the kids in the back of the car whined about Dad smoking he'd tell them to open a bloody window. Nobody wore bike (bicycle) helmets, high visibility vests didn't exist, sunscreen was called suntan lotion and was actually oil designed to fry you and make you tan, you could throw the kids on the back of the ute or trailer and drive through town, driving drunk wasn't 'all that' bad as long you didn't think you were too pissed to drive, kids walked or rode their bike to school because people weren't worried about perverts snatching kids back then. Workplaces like farms, fishing boats, forestry etc were much more dangerous and with none of the regulations we have now because back then you were expected to use your common sense. School kids were allowed - even encouraged - to play rough, full-contact games during lunchtime at school and when the kids sometimes broke an arm or something it was just boys being boys. After school you could buy firecrackers and blow shit up - just don't blow your fingers off or chuck them at your brother ya silly wee bugger! Kids went to the river, lake, or beach and swam wherever they wanted, there were no lifeguards or 'swim between the flags' areas. We climbed trees and sometimes fell out of them. Life was more dangerous, but at the same time, people were ok with it.
^ Apart from smoking ban and less drink driving; it's still just like that around where I come from - which IS from the middle of rural nowhere
Me too, for the most part. But over the years workplace health and safety has become a real thing, if you get hurt and the safety laws weren't being followed the employer is in deep shit. If a kid gets hurt at school and the proper safety protocols aren't being observed - same thing. A customer slips on a wet floor and there wasn't a sign warning them about it... well you know how it goes.

That brings in a culture of 'cover your arse' which I suppose raises awareness and eventually our daily habits. It's obviously a good thing that people aren't being needlessly killed or maimed at work, but at the same time it can be over the top and pisses people off, and probably encourages us to do things like not wear helmets occasionally, just because.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s a fine balance. The more laws, regulations, and rules in place can, I think, lead to complacency. The common sense aspect having been replaced by ‘someone is to blame’, with a law to follow. So, people seem less inclined to take steps to avoid, because of course there’s a law about that.

A young relative had an accident pulling out of a parking space. The other driver was deemed to be at fault, the insurance paid out. The other driver wasn’t paying attention. But, my relative was always minimally aware of what was going on around him. What he failed to appreciate was that with a little more effort, he wouldn’t have been hit. His brand new car wouldn’t have had accident damage. They would have been less likely to be in harms way.

Back to Cambodia; I’ve had the discussion more times than I can remember, about wearing a helmet. The standard excuse for not doing so is that they’re only going a short distance. But rather like the acceptance of woefully inept healthcare, there is a cultural resignation to whatever outcome happens, oblivious to the idea that one small act might change that outcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm
Back to Cambodia; I’ve had the discussion more times than I can remember, about wearing a helmet. The standard excuse for not doing so is that they’re only going a short distance. But rather like the acceptance of woefully inept healthcare, there is a cultural resignation to whatever outcome happens, oblivious to the idea that one small act might change that outcome.
Not confined to Khmer/Asians. I was on the ferry this morning and got chatting to a foreigner on a bike that was bringing his two lovely kids to school. He had a helmet, the kids did not.....
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I see a couple of well-known barangs around my neighborhood driving without helmets on themselves or their kid or woman. I seriously doubt they have enough money to cover any head trauma/serious medical treatment that might incur in the event of an accident. And even if they do have insurance, no one wants a vegetable for a child or parent because that's what will happen to you when the Khmer doctor at the nearest clinic shovels your brain back into your cranium with a used soup spoon, as opposed to a country with healthcare workers who know their ass from their elbow

I also know that should either of those dudes die, their wife and kids will be inheriting the square root of fuck all

My opinions, of course :bong:
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Captain Bonez wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:47 pm I see a couple of well-known barangs around my neighborhood driving without helmets on themselves or their kid or woman. I seriously doubt they have enough money to cover any head trauma/serious medical treatment that might incur in the event of an accident. And even if they do have insurance, no one wants a vegetable for a child or parent because that's what will happen to you when the Khmer doctor at the nearest clinic shovels your brain back into your cranium with a used soup spoon, as opposed to a country with healthcare workers who know their ass from their elbow

I also know that should either of those dudes die, their wife and kids will be inheriting the square root of fuck all

My opinions, of course :bong:
I'm pretty sure one of the first things the insurance company will do is check whether a helmet was being worn, easy way or rejecting the claim, the injury is the result of an illegal activity
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

newsgatherer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:12 am It really doesn't make any difference. If you stay off the roads after 7 p.m., that's when drunk drivers start showing up. During the day, traffic is slow. If you are an experienced local, the accident rate will be zero or less if you have a good scooter.

In my opinion, foreigners should not be allowed to drive anything here. I'm always surprised by the aggressive foreigners who drive SUVs here.

The know-it-alls with little experience here must stuff it IMHO.
I dunno where you're driving, but it's mostly the locals who drive like idiots with 0 situational awareness, driving skills and a "fuck the rules and everyone else, as long as I make it to my destination in the next minute" mindset.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I haven’t seen any w/o a helmet on but the various food delivery drivers are a breed of their own
They cut corners all the time , barely slow down for stop signs or red lights .
I can barely turn a corner that one of them is not dive bombing at me in my lane .
I got kickedoff a myface group for complaining about them and will not won’t order any food to be delivered to me
Everybody knows where the checkpoints are anyway (about helmets )And why they are there .
Traffic police are glorified welfare recipients .
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

I have over 10 years of moto experience here. Zero accidents. The flow is different here. I noticed few aggressive drivers. Often strangers show up as the culprits, The problem is that locals sometimes lose concentration when they see a white person. I still have the same scooter that I bought in 2010 but I stopped using it for the same reason. I like riding here, but I don't recommend doing it. I guess I'm being hypocritical.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

10 years riding experience with the scooter bought in 2010 that you stopped using. So you drove from 2010 to 2019? 🤔
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic