First They Killed My Father: Directed by Angelina Jolie

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Therapist
Expatriate

Re: First They Killed My Father: Directed by Angelina Jolie

Post by Therapist »

flying chicken wrote:This is my favorite part:
Ung even has the audacity to claim that her father was so gentle that "during his life as a monk, wherever he walked he had to carry a broom and dustpan to sweep the path in front of him so as not to kill any living things by stepping on them" (Ung 12).
She read about Jainism and embellished her recollection of her father.
I take it that you are not a fan?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Interesting take on the book. Has anyone here read it ?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE:
Jolie’s film set for Siem Reap debut
Thu, 12 January 2017
Alessandro Marazzi Sassoon

The world premiere of Angelina Jolie’s highly anticipated film First They Killed my Father is set for February 18 in Siem Reap, seven months before its release on Netflix.

The premiere date and location were confirmed yesterday by longtime Jolie friend and acclaimed filmmaker Rithy Panh, who is also co-producing the film. Panh declined to provide any further detail about the exact location and time of the screening. “We will keep you informed,” he wrote by email.

The Jolie-directed and produced film was shot partly in Battambang and partly in Siem Reap last year.

It is a cinema adaptation of Loung Ung’s Khmer Rouge memoir First They Killed My Father and is being produced for Netflix. A worldwide release date for the online platform has not yet been set but is scheduled for this year...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle/ ... reap-debut
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

finally,
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I hope she can direct better than she acts. She doesn't strike me as being skilled or intuitively gifted enough. Without her more visible ASSets she's another Hollywood has been.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote:I hope she can direct better than she acts. She doesn't strike me as being skilled or intuitively gifted enough. Without her more visible ASSets she's another Hollywood has been.
That movie "Unbroken" that she directed was pretty good. She is still the highest-earning female actor.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"She is still the highest-earning female actor."
Not According to this survey and others.
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/mo ... -1.8615002

No survey ranked her among the top 20 best paid.

She added to her fame by her philanthropy and marriage, but she didn't get fame from acting ability and martial arts skills. Maybe you're confusing her with Jacky Chan. By the way what is a "female actor", a cross dresser.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote:She is still the highest-earning female actor.
Not According to this survey and others.
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/mo ... -1.8615002

No survey ranked her among the to 20 best paid.
Fair enough, I was going from this, which was dated 2016 on top but actually refers to 2013. For what it's worth I don't think she's much good at acting either.
Maybe you're confusing her with Jacky Chan.
No, Jackie Chan is a Chinese man, they don't even look remotely alike.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

taabarang wrote:I hope she can direct better than she acts. She doesn't strike me as being skilled or intuitively gifted enough. Without her more visible ASSets she's another Hollywood has been.
Have a look round and see if you can pick up a set second hand, must have had two or three by now. There's gotta be a vial of Billy-Bob Thornton's blood kicking about somewhere, too. You could open the Jolie Museum of Natural History.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

King Sihamoni and Her Majesty Queen Watch Angelina Jolie's Khmer Rouge Film Premier

18/02/2017 23:13
Siem Reap (FN), Feb 18 - King Sihamoni and Her Majesty Queen Monineath joined na Hollywood actress and director Angelina Jolie in opening the premier of new film about Khmer Rouge regime.
The film, "First They Killed My Father," was screened at the Elephant Terrace, Angkor Wat complex, Siem Reap on Saturday night.

The film was "not made to focus on the horror of war, but to celebrate the resilience, kindness and talent of the Cambodian people," said Angelina at the screening of the film.The film is dedicated to all the people who died under the Khmer Rouge regime, and those who survived.
Fresh News.

Q&A: Behind the camera of First They Killed My Father
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... -my-father
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic