Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by Jerry Atrick »

khmerhamster wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:01 pm
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:08 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 am
John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm I don't even have an embassy here, the nearest one is in Hanoi. Embassies are their for diplomacy and trade. Of course they also function to help any of their citizens who need passports or help in cases of wrongful incarceration. They are not capable of looking after all of their citizens. Especially in the case of UK citizens, and there are a lot of them here. The UK embassy here isn't even a proper embassy as far as I know. It's just a consulate or something similar.
It is an Embassy, with an Ambassador.
I wonder when it changed. It used to be just a consulate - that's in relatively recent history.
It's both Embassy & consulate
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by Ong Tay »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm I don't even have an embassy here, the nearest one is in Hanoi. Embassies are their for diplomacy and trade. Of course they also function to help any of their citizens who need passports or help in cases of wrongful incarceration. They are not capable of looking after all of their citizens. Especially in the case of UK citizens, and there are a lot of them here. The UK embassy here isn't even a proper embassy as far as I know. It's just a consulate or something similar.
I wonder when it changed. It used to be just a consulate - that's in relatively recent history.
According to Wikipedia, there's been an embassy with proper ambassadors since 1994 - not all that recent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... o_Cambodia
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Ong Tay wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:11 pm
According to Wikipedia, there's been an embassy with proper ambassadors since 1994 - not all that recent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... o_Cambodia
I don't think that is correct.
Just because there has been an ambassador doesn't mean that it is an embassy. AFAIR they used to use the Bangkok embassy for anything other than the most basic activities. The distinction became less obvious when they started using VFS for passport/visa services.
Anyhow, it's not important.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

And just because it is an embassy doesn't mean that there has been an ambassador - the recent car crashes of the past 20 years have proven that, luckily the new chap seems a bit more like an ambassador ought to be; although he hasn't offered me any Ferrero Rocher yet, so the jury is out ...
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Looks like he just needs some beer money and to be left alone.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
SiemReapLOL
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SiemReapLOL »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:09 pm Looks like he just needs some beer money and to be left alone.
Don’t we all
:beer3:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic