Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by John Bingham »

I don't even have an embassy here, the nearest one is in Hanoi. Embassies are their for diplomacy and trade. Of course they also function to help any of their citizens who need passports or help in cases of wrongful incarceration. They are not capable of looking after all of their citizens. Especially in the case of UK citizens, and there are a lot of them here. The UK embassy here isn't even a proper embassy as far as I know. It's just a consulate or something similar.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Shirtless white guy found near the British embassy looks to be in rough shape

Post by Freightdog »

xandreu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:26 pm Good point. I can't find the FB post now. I think I read in the post that he was British, but I may have just read 'found near the British embassy' and assumed he was British.

Doesn't take away the fact that British Embassy are a bunch of useless c***s tho.
In fairness to the UK Embassy, they are inline with general gubbinsment treatment of UK citizens, both abroad and at home. Basically, derelict in their care and treatment in their eagerness to pander to any other fucker and their xenophobia.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

In fairness to the UK Embassy, they are inline with general gubbinsment treatment of UK citizens, both abroad and at home. Basically, derelict in their care and treatment in their eagerness to pander to any other fucker and their xenophobia.
[/quote]

Exactly! Look how they allow suffering of millions, homelessness, poverty, starvation, the return of scurvy. There is 0 care for any British citizen, anywhere.
RedBull
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RedBull »

Random Dude wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:48 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:10 am What a way to end up.

Imagining more than a few bad decisions in this man's life led him to this point.
Looking like he hasn't known where his hotel is for a while now.

Wonder how he came here, and what was the brilliant plan?

Wish him the best.
There's a YouTube channel I follow, it's called Soft White Underbelly. The dude who has the channel interviews various down-and-out types - criminals, addicts, the homeless, those with mental issues etc.

When these people start telling their stories, something you come to see pretty quickly is a background of trauma, and/or addiction. Sometimes they're born into a shit situation, sometimes they just fall into it through getting involved with hard drugs or something. Often you get the impression it would be a miracle if they'd turned out to be anything other than what they are.

Sometimes though, it's just a combination of bad luck that leads to more bad luck, and it can be hard to come back from that.
Guy loses his job for whatever reason - can't pay the rent so ends up on the street - within a week he's filthy, he stinks, and he's probably never had to deal with something like that before so it hits him hard psychologically - he gets robbed - the cops 'move him on' every time he tries to rest somewhere and get some sleep - nobody will give him a chance or any help because there's a stigma about being homeless - it gets harder and harder to get a job and climb out of the hole because how can you go to a job interview straight from living on the street?

Don't know this guy's story, but I also wish him the best.
In SEA, go to a pagoda. In most western countries you can also find help for free. But in the end there's only one person who can help you, and that's you.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm I don't even have an embassy here, the nearest one is in Hanoi. Embassies are their for diplomacy and trade. Of course they also function to help any of their citizens who need passports or help in cases of wrongful incarceration. They are not capable of looking after all of their citizens. Especially in the case of UK citizens, and there are a lot of them here. The UK embassy here isn't even a proper embassy as far as I know. It's just a consulate or something similar.
Yep, did my Irish passport all online. Very efficient and not sure why other countires can't do it.
I got a new passport in 21 and the DHL fee to Kampot was $30. I had something sent this year (birth certificate) and they wanted $65!

One question, why do you have a mid Atlantic drawl?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

John Bingham wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:19 pm I don't even have an embassy here, the nearest one is in Hanoi. Embassies are their for diplomacy and trade. Of course they also function to help any of their citizens who need passports or help in cases of wrongful incarceration. They are not capable of looking after all of their citizens. Especially in the case of UK citizens, and there are a lot of them here. The UK embassy here isn't even a proper embassy as far as I know. It's just a consulate or something similar.
It is an Embassy, with an Ambassador.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 am
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

I saw this on a few FB groups and everyone also getting into the embassy.

It is not clear if he is homeless or just had too much sun.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

I dont agree with your assessment of The British Embassy. I am interested why you think this? Is it based on experience or hearsay?

I found myself in a similar state to this guy in 2015. I was living out of dustbins at the airport in Bangkok with no luggage, no passport and in a pair of shorts with no shoes. Im not going to bother explaining how I ended up in such a state but I was suffering from psychosis; I thought the world had ended, the dead had risen, etc. I didnt know what country I was in and I was also hallucinating.

I did 2 months in Thai prison followed by several months in The IDC in Bangkok. I had been reported as a missing person and when the British Embassy finally located me they were extremely helpful. Not only did they visit me once a week, they provided me with money so I could buy food and water in the prison and they also expedited my release and return to England. As well as this, they kept in regular contact with my family. They got me out of The IDC far quicker than any other nationality languishing in there.

Disclaimer:

I fully recovered from this and have gone on to lead a productive and normal life. This guy can turn the corner. Anyone can if desire meets the right type of help.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:08 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:02 am
I wonder when it changed. It used to be just a consulate - that's in relatively recent history.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic