A shower thought that I don't think many expats give much consideration

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A shower thought that I don't think many expats give much consideration

Post by Kenr »

Why would learning english be a priority for Cambodia when it’s visitors from Thailand, Vietnam, and China that dominate the tourism industry here?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:50 am Why would learning english be a priority for Cambodia when it’s visitors from Thailand, Vietnam, and China that dominate the tourism industry here?
English will still allow you to communicate with a proportion of those tourists, otherwise you need to learn three languages instead of one.
Next week I will be in a meeting that will consist of maybe 10 Cambodian, 3 Vietnamese, 3 Thai and 3 Malaysians, and myself being the only native English speaker. Even if I wasn't there, they would still conduct the meeting in English.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:11 am
Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:50 am Why would learning english be a priority for Cambodia when it’s visitors from Thailand, Vietnam, and China that dominate the tourism industry here?
English will still allow you to communicate with a proportion of those tourists, otherwise you need to learn three languages instead of one.
Next week I will be in a meeting that will consist of maybe 10 Cambodian, 3 Vietnamese, 3 Thai and 3 Malaysians, and myself being the only native English speaker. Even if I wasn't there, they would still conduct the meeting in English.
I’m speaking of the tourism industry, which others mentioned. Why would the locals care about learning to speak english when the majority of tourists are from other Asian countries?

There are more Khmer I know who want to learn the Chinese language over english, apparently that’s where the money is.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:38 am Growing up as a kid everywhere we went in Europe people spoke English. They even speak it to each other to communicate - not every Euro speaks multiple languages.
In business (as well as airlines, shipping etc) every one uses English to communicate.

Native English speakers have the disadvantage of people wanting to speak to them in English and going through life not needing to learn another language.

I make no apologies for not knowing other languages.
I have always loved language ... I learned basic Japanese from locals in countryside snack bars ... ojisans mostly ... they would buy me beers in exchange for singing old Sinatra, Elvis, Tony Bennet songs. My accent is native level. Speak Spanish (poorly) since my ex-wife born and grew up in Quito. Two years of high school French, a bit of Thai, Vietnamese ... I imagine I will get pretty good with Khmer inside a few years. Magyar is also on my radar, but is considered one of the most difficult languages of all. My uncle (Atilla Flink) (RIP) was one of the world's top linguists. Great inspiration to me. He once said to me ... "I can learn a new language in the time it takes for someone to eat lunch." I'll never forget that.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:34 am
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:38 am Growing up as a kid everywhere we went in Europe people spoke English. They even speak it to each other to communicate - not every Euro speaks multiple languages.
In business (as well as airlines, shipping etc) every one uses English to communicate.

Native English speakers have the disadvantage of people wanting to speak to them in English and going through life not needing to learn another language.

I have always loved language ... I learned basic Japanese from locals in countryside snack bars ... ojisans mostly ... they would buy me beers in exchange for singing old Sinatra, Elvis, Tony Bennet songs. My accent is native level. Speak Spanish (poorly) since my ex-wife born and grew up in Quito. Two years of high school French, a bit of Thai, Vietnamese ... I imagine I will get pretty good with Khmer inside a few years. Magyar is also on my radar, but is considered one of the most difficult languages of all. My uncle (Atilla Flink) (RIP) was one of the world's top linguists. Great inspiration to me. He once said to me ... "I can learn a new language in the time it takes for someone to eat lunch." I'll never forget that.
No offence meant but you are either the most interesting person in SE Asia or the biggest bull shitter.

:plus1:
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:54 am

No offence meant but you are either the most interesting person in SE Asia or the biggest bull shitter.

I'll take biggest bull shitter for $200.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

It's a shame that you can't even spell your alleged uncle's name correctly.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:00 am

I usually ignore negative Ned type replies ... but when there is money on the table, I will let it go ... In any event ... show me the money Mr Ken.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:04 pm

In all of my years of living here, I have never ever felt that any Khmer has taken the attitude of "Oh, you expect ME to speak English, even though we're in Cambodia, you clearly live here, and we speak Khmer here??!!" as you would find in the west.

I have; but then again I speak decent technical Khmer & have spent years working on sites here without another English speaker

The apologetic tendency you describe is prevalent in those working in service & hospitality industry; helps make customer feel special, at ease etc
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:53 am
Kenr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:00 am

I usually ignore negative Ned type replies ... but when there is money on the table, I will let it go ... In any event ... show me the money Mr Ken.
LOL. You tell so many bullshit stories that you have even contradicted yourself before.

You are on here bashing the VA and the government for what they don't do for you when they have apparently given you everything.

You are able to fly half way around the world from country to country, play golf at a competitive level, shoot skeet, you are on the internet claiming to be a chef, and those are the things right off the top of my head, yet you collect SSDI because you are too disabled to work. So sad.

For someone who claims to suffer from memory loss you sure are able to remember a whole lot. But then again I don't believe anything you say so who really knows what your real situation is.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic