How would you invest?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

How would you invest?

Post by Grand Barong »

How would you invest $100k or $200k in KOW for cash flow? Bank term deposit? or something else?
diesel
Expatriate

Re: How would you invest?

Post by diesel »

Buy 100 cows and find 100 girls/boys to take care them. In Some years you have a lot of cow for sell.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

diesel wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:28 am Buy 100 cows and find 100 girls/boys to take care them. In Some years you have a lot of cow for sell.
In one year you have no cows because "they wandered off/were stolen/got sick" (ie aforementioned girls/boys' parents sold or ate them)
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Interesting question. For $200k with a proper interest rate, you can have a very relaxed life here on the interest itself. The problem I see is in the lack of safety mechanisms, so if the Bank or whatever blows up, your money vaporizes as well. Therefore you would need to split up very carefully. However the question remains, if one blows up, is the interest return of the remaining ones high enough to cover this loss in a reasonable amount of time.
Personally I am very conservative when it comes to money and would never, ever go into real estate. But since this bubble has just bursted, this isn't a topic for most any longer anyway.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

I heard that argument in 2014 when I stuck money in AMK, ACLEDA and Prasac. "What if the banking sector collapses!" etc.
If that did happen then no matter where your money was in Cambodia you would have lost it.

Personally I would buy some land in Kampot or SHV or secondry stick it in ABA 6% account. $200k would be about $880 per month.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

ressl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 am Interesting question. For $200k with a proper interest rate, you can have a very relaxed life here on the interest itself. The problem I see is in the lack of safety mechanisms, so if the Bank or whatever blows up, your money vaporizes as well. Therefore you would need to split up very carefully. However the question remains, if one blows up, is the interest return of the remaining ones high enough to cover this loss in a reasonable amount of time.
Personally I am very conservative when it comes to money and would never, ever go into real estate. But since this bubble has just bursted, this isn't a topic for most any longer anyway.
Splitting up the money too much (or in the wrong way) can dilute the potential for overall compound interest.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:44 am I heard that argument in 2014 when I stuck money in AMK, ACLEDA and Prasac. "What if the banking sector collapses!" etc.
If that did happen then no matter where your money was in Cambodia you would have lost it.

Personally I would buy some land in Kampot or SHV or secondry stick it in ABA 6% account. $200k would be about $880 per month.
I am horrible w/ this stuff but had a question. If I understand correctly, if you invested 200k, you can withdraw $880 per month and wont lose anything on the principal?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

With interest rates now, bank term deposit.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

BklynBoy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:10 am
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:44 am I heard that argument in 2014 when I stuck money in AMK, ACLEDA and Prasac. "What if the banking sector collapses!" etc.

I am horrible w/ this stuff but had a question. If I understand correctly, if you invested 200k, you can withdraw $880 per month and wont lose anything on the principal?
If you had $200k at 6% PA (ABA) you will get $1000 per month less tax, around $880 per month, and either withdraw it monthly or let it add to your principle.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The fact it didn't happen since 2014 doesn't mean it won't happen. The problem is the likeliness of it happening is very hard to quantify, but if it happened and someone's life savings would be in there the effects would be devastating.
YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:44 am Personally I would buy some land in Kampot or SHV or secondry stick it in ABA 6% account. $200k would be about $880 per month.
How is land going to generate a a cashflow?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic