How would you invest?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How would you invest?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Tootsfriend wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:41 pm If I had money, I'd invest it all in a Bar. You could make heaps of $$$$ selling ;50 c beers to cheap charlie e-xpats. My second choice of investing money in Cambodia would be to have a Hair Dressing and Beauty Saloon . Again , lots of money to be made putting paint on sexy girls nails and faces.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Grand Barong wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:09 pm How would you invest $100k or $200k in KOW for cash flow? Bank term deposit? or something else?
If the funds are not yet in the KOW, also consider the repatriation risk.
Can you send the money back? (The amount is way beyond 10K.)
If you might want to send the money back to an account in another country, ask the bank(s)/MFI(s) in advance what is needed when you want to repatriate the funds.
Certificate of inward transfer or?
Also, is there a risk that KOW could be downgraded, making international transfers more difficult?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

also if ur old an have that kind of cash in a bank, what about when u die?
how easy is for for someone to access ur accounts

Land cant be in ur name so thats not a good place to park ur cash unless u have a Khmer wife and kids
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

khmerhamster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:51 pm
Roryborealis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:23 pm
khmerhamster wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:22 am
Roryborealis wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:06 am
ressl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:36 am Interesting question. For $200k with a proper interest rate, you can have a very relaxed life here on the interest itself. The problem I see is in the lack of safety mechanisms, so if the Bank or whatever blows up, your money vaporizes as well. Therefore you would need to split up very carefully. However the question remains, if one blows up, is the interest return of the remaining ones high enough to cover this loss in a reasonable amount of time.
Personally I am very conservative when it comes to money and would never, ever go into real estate. But since this bubble has just bursted, this isn't a topic for most any longer anyway.
Splitting up the money too much (or in the wrong way) can dilute the potential for overall compound interest.
Huh? No it won’t. If it you get a guaranteed return rate, having it in one bank or split over 5 banks the return and compound interest will be the same.
$1000 for 10 years at 6% compounded returns £1790 (minus tax)
Five sets of $200 for 10 years at 6% compounded returns $358 each (minus tax)

$358 times 5 is $1790

It’s the same final total, but spreading the risk makes more sense.
I was not assuming a guaranteed rate of return.
I was referring more to equities and index funds with returns that vary annually.
There are opportunity costs to be factored in, and I wasn't making the same assumptions.
And by "wrong way," I meant choosing banks that are not insured in case of risk.
Losing even one chunk of your "split" corpus could change the math.
Yes and if you keep as one lump sum and invest it and lose one chunk - you've lost it all.
A good reminder to choose banks wisely.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

And by "wrong way," I meant choosing banks that are not insured in case of risk.
Please note no financial institution in Cambodia has a deposit guarantee scheme.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:10 pm
Please note no financial institution in Cambodia has a deposit guarantee scheme.
This.
Some people assume that because some banks are part of wider banking groups from other countries that their funds will be safer.
Banks aren't going to guarantee anything more that what is legally required of them in the country they operate. Which in Cambodia is the square root of sod all.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

I read acleda has a blanket insurance for clients deposits safety. But didnt see many details on what exactly that does or protects. Maybe someone else knows more about this.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

Zyzz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:13 pm
I read acleda has a blanket insurance for clients deposits safety. But didnt see many details on what exactly that does or protects. Maybe someone else knows more about this.
I think the insurance they carry is for dishonest employees stealing or embezzling funds.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Zyzz wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:13 pm
I guess you mean this one:

https://www.acledabank.com.kh/kh/eng/ps ... e_facility

It's a guarantee from ACLEDA when a company defaults on a loan which is an insurance one pays for.

ACLEDA has no guarantees for deposits when the bank defaults. They do have all kinds of additional insurances though.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Invest in sneakers.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic