divorced years ago but want to get married in cambodia... have a question

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

divorced years ago but want to get married in cambodia... have a question

Post by Zyzz »

ive been going through my paperwork to bring with me in two weeks and i know one of the things i read online that is needed is proof of divorce. got divorced about 9-10 years ago so couldnt even remember what the paperwork looked like and it just seems like a court document with an official stamp on it. im hoping this is it. im going to try to contact the lawyer i used to see if this is the right paper or if he could send me the correct one. if i have to go through the court there is no way i will get this in the mail on time and im not even living in that state anymore.

in cambodia im wondering ... if i didnt even mention i was divorced or even married before do they even check or verify these things or just file the paperwork? maybe i can avoid problems by just saying i was never married. thank you.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: divorced years ago but want to get married in cambodia... have a question

Post by YaTingPom »

No they do not check but if your marriage goes south it may come and bite you in the arse.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:46 am No they do not check but if your marriage goes south it may come and bite you in the arse.
what can happen?
in usa if a marriage doesnt work your life is pretty much over ... got lucky with ex only cost me 800 to pay the lawyer to get out of it.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Which country are you from sorry - or more importantly where did you get married previously? I used my UK decree absolute when marrying here in Cambodia. It is a one page document and will have blurb along the lines of ...

Referring to the decree made in this case on {date}, whereby it was decreed that the marriage solemnised on {date} at {location} between {Dr. Evil} the Petitioner and {A good bloke} the Respondent ...
be dissolved unless sufficient cause be shown to the Court within six weeks from the making thereof why the said decree should not be made absolute, and no such cause having been shown, it is hereby certified that the said decree was on the {date}, made final and absolute and that the said marriage was thereby dissolved.

For marrying in Cambodia you will need five stamped copies of this document, that's the kicker; so even if you have one, you will need more anyway. In my case I was able to directly email the court where the decree absolute was issued, and they responded (same day) confirming the request. I had to call the court to organise payment over the phone, it was £10 back then (2005).

If you got married in Cambodia, let me know, I have one of those also, but assumed you were married elsewhere. :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:36 am
YaTingPom wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:46 am No they do not check but if your marriage goes south it may come and bite you in the arse.
what can happen?
in usa if a marriage doesnt work your life is pretty much over ... got lucky with ex only cost me 800 to pay the lawyer to get out of it.
What can happen?!
Have you ever been in a relationship with a SE Asian women before? In all seriousness just don't bother to get the certificate. Also, there really is no need to officially get married anyway.

May I ask if you have been dating in person or just online?
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

They don’t check in Cambodia. But one of the required docs is from your embassy to say that they have no issue with you getting married, if anyone is going to check it will be them. You’ll need to satisfy them of your singleness
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

im from usa. i want to marry her. also marriage is a faster path to become a cabodian citizen. i dont want something stupid from 10 years ago to cause me problems.
isnt there also someone you can just pay off to just push things along and make things happen if you dont have all required documents?
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Sure, go pay off someone at the embassy, see how that works out for you.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am im from usa. i want to marry her. also marriage is a faster path to become a cabodian citizen. i dont want something stupid from 10 years ago to cause me problems.
isnt there also someone you can just pay off to just push things along and make things happen if you dont have all required documents?
HUH? ur getting married to a khmer so u can become a Cambodian citizen? What the fuck for?

I dont know nor have heard of any barang that was married to a khmer getting Cambodian citizenship ( without knowing someone high up or putting up $50,000_++++)

all u gain is not having to pay for a extension every year for $300

In the states, divorces are handled in a court and there are county records so go to where ever you got divorced and request the Documents
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Zyzz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 am im from usa. i want to marry her. also marriage is a faster path to become a cabodian citizen. i dont want something stupid from 10 years ago to cause me problems.
I know a guy here (NZ) who has been here for 14 years, knows all the rules on marriage and still can't get citizenship. it is very, very difficult and will cost an arm and a leg, and your mind.

Don't get married if that is your only reason.

You did not answer my question. Are you in a real relationship of just online?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic