Going to Viet Nam with Cambodian registered motorbike

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Going to Viet Nam with Cambodian registered motorbike

Post by ressl »

Either I am too dumb to use the search function properly, or it is correct, that this question was asked only once 5 years ago, but never got an answer -> here.

So: is it possible, and if so, what is needed or should get prepared in advance (I guess an insurance and IDP or Cambodian DP are part of the game)?
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Going to Viet Nam with Cambodian registered motorbike

Post by newsgatherer »

I still don't understand why anyone would want to get into trouble like that. Unless they want to create some sort of controversy. It's been a while and it never seems to diminish, with the number of people making bad decisions here almost on purpose.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I know that Viet Nam ist very difficult to enter with a foreign registered motorbike, impossible with anything more than 2 wheels. However, there are usually exceptions for neighboring countries (taking China out of the discussion), hence I am asking.
If you are talking about something with political reasons, I have to admit, that I am not that much into this stuff and might miss the essential point you are referring to.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

It looks like nobody has done or attempted this before? A bit hard to believe
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ressl wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:16 pm It looks like nobody has done or attempted this before? A bit hard to believe
Some people don't bother to share their experiences or follow fora.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

It's hit and miss - I know ppl who have been able to go to Phu Quoc but at Ha Tien they are told they have to stay in that province only. Now reports are that it is near impossible to do - some have paid coffee money but had no intention of going far into the country. Also the risk is being stopped by the VN police and they confiscate your bike.

In other words dont think about it - if you want to do a longish roadtrip then buy a Viet plated bike with a blue card and crossing borders is no issue. You can resell it when you get back. Lots of them advertised on FB cheap
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Nice, that the KGB is still active and has valuable information available :good:
Although not the one I wanted to hear, since this is about getting a road trip with a very special bike (hence buying a random one is not an option), but anyway, one option I can now erase from my list
ephebiatrics
Tourist
Swaziland

Post by ephebiatrics »

it is possible to cross the border with a Cambodian plated motorbike, but it may not be easy or legal. Here are some of the things you need to know and prepare in advance:

• You need to have a valid visa for Vietnam, which you can obtain online or at the embassy. You also need to have a valid passport, a Cambodian driving license, and an International Driving Permit (IDP). You may also need to have a vehicle registration certificate, a vehicle insurance, and a customs declaration form.

• You need to choose a border crossing that accepts e-visas and allows motorbikes. There are five international road border crossings between Vietnam and Cambodia, but not all of them are open to foreign tourists or vehicles. The most popular and convenient ones are Moc Bai / Bavet and Song Tien / Prek Chak.

• You need to be prepared to pay some fees or bribes at the border. The official fee for bringing a motorbike into Vietnam is 500,000 VND (about 22 USD), but you may be asked to pay more by the customs officers or the police. You may also need to show some documents or receipts to prove that you own the motorbike or that you have permission to use it
Although it's possible, I still don't recommend you do that because it can cause some unexpected troubles
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

kgbagent wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:17 pm It's hit and miss - I know ppl who have been able to go to Phu Quoc but at Ha Tien they are told they have to stay in that province only. Now reports are that it is near impossible to do - some have paid coffee money but had no intention of going far into the country. Also the risk is being stopped by the VN police and they confiscate your bike.

In other words dont think about it - if you want to do a longish roadtrip then buy a Viet plated bike with a blue card and crossing borders is no issue. You can resell it when you get back. Lots of them advertised on FB cheap
I'll second that. Possible in border regions, but expect to get checked and pay coffee money the more you move away from the border. Just not worth the hassle.

Also keep in mind that officially you need a Vietnamese driving license for anything over 50cc. Another coffee money moment if checked, but a real problem if you get into an accident. An acquantaince of mine last year had an accident near Sapa. He got hit by a car coming onto the main road from a side-street without looking, not his fault. BUT: when police arrived they gave him a fine for driving without a license which immediately reversed the accident into his fault so then had to pay for the damages to the car that hit him (he should not be there driving you know...). Off course had to pay for the damage to the motorbike.

Then had to charter an ambulance to Hanoi (international hospital) as the local hospital was not well equipped for his complicated broken ankle and leg injury with bones sticking out. Hanoi hospital had some Western doctors which made it easier to communicate, they had to put some metal pins in the ankle and all that. After a while he decided to take a flight back to Germany to get treated in his home-country, but the airline only let him fly if accompanied so his brother had to buy a ticket in order to come and pick him up.

In Germany the broken ankle and leg had to be redone with surgery and metal plates, and to top things off he had a dispute with his insurance company to get reimbursed as he was driving without a Vietnamese license obviously. And yes he holds a German motorbike license so is not some inexperienced 'holiday scooter renter'.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Thank you guys for the detailed answers. I made it into Myanmar, Bhutan, China and Thailand with a foreign registered car, so I am used to trouble of this kind. Good to hear that it is possible at all, so to me it is just a bit more time for proper preperation
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic