putin interview

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: putin interview

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:36 pm
Honestly, all I'm getting at from these sort of posts in this thread is that many Europeans have been gone so long as expats they now seem to lack self awareness of just how totalitarian their own countries are by comparison, particularily in Northwestern Europe; Russia and most (if not all) EU countries have similar laws on the books, the only difference is that the places like the UK are far more brutal and unrelentless in application to the point where people living in the Free World read off the country as some sort of parody of (to paraphrase Huxley) a totalitarian police state disguised as a democracy:

(If you read the fine print, the only reason why he was spared jail is because the emoji wasn't posted in a "public space"--i.e, had he done it in a public space he'd be arrested)

Arguably, the UK is not even Russia tier (since afterall, one can read British state media in Russia, but the obverse is not true) but in the same tier as China or Turkmenistan or Iran where there is a complete grasp on information and any dissent that actually harms the political structure. So why then so much finger pointing at Russia with dirty, unclean fingers (or maybe that explains all of the venting towards Russia)?
Last edited by HaifongWangchuck on Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kenr wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:58 pm So a Russian state-owned news agency is going to provide what exactly?
My point being, I can read BBC po-Russki in Moscow, but I cannot read RT or PressTV, etc. In London
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kammekor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:48 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:43 pm

Meanwhile, I can't even access RT News anywhere in the European continent...
Really? They block it or they don't broadcast it?
Yes. Ofcom bigwigs at Whitehall unilaterally decided that the British public weren't allowed to see it, with nary chance for an appeal...so hip hip for Democracy™, I guess?
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Yes. Ofcom bigwigs at Whitehall unilaterally decided that the British public weren't allowed to see it, with nary chance for an appeal...so hip hip for Democracy™, I guess?
Why are you spending so much time and energy trying to persuade strangers about Russia's position on everything?

Seriously, dude, if Russia is as free as you say, then why must you work so hard to persuade others?

The Russians I spoke with in Türkiye expressed ideas that conflict with the ones you advance on a regular basis.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Roryborealis wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:19 pm
Seriously, dude, if Russia is as free as you say, then why must you work so hard to persuade others?
He has convinced me that the UK and Western Europe are all much worse than Russia. :lol:

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Roryborealis wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:19 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:10 pm

Why are you spending so much time and energy trying to persuade strangers about Russia's position on everything?
"Why are you so interested in a topic that makes global news every day"

Could it be current events? Family ties in the region? There are a lot reasons, and my reasons for discussing this are just as valid as yours.
I really don't think Russia is free at all if you read my posts (frankly, no country really is): I just can't stand the glaring hypocrisy of people from borderline totalitarian states criticising the affairs of others. In fact, the whole world outside of the EU/US/AU etc. Hates it, so I'm hardly alone in my sentiment.
The Russians I spoke with in Türkiye expressed ideas that conflict with the ones you advance on a regular basis.
As they would, because they are expats; It's kinda like me and bitching about the UK/IE I suppose, you'll always hear the worst from people who feel like they had to practically escape from somewhere.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

We may disagree on much. But I can appreciate your response on this.
phlezk
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by phlezk »

Snooze fest. But was funny to see the interactions. I watched on 1.5x speed.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Jon Stewart mocking Tucker's trip to Russia:
“The difference between our urinal-caked, chaotic subways and your candelabra, beautiful subways is the literal price of freedom,” said Stewart.
Weird line, dude.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... t%20better.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic