putin interview

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Re: putin interview

Post by SINUS »

hmph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 am This is a common nonsensical argument I hear all the time. If he has an 80% approval rating, why would he imprison or kill his political opponents?
those aren't honest percentages, they're rigged.
Besides, many Russian people have long been convinced that it is not Putin who sits in the Kremlin, but his double. or triple.
When I watched this interview, I was once again convinced of this.
Roryborealis
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Roryborealis »

SINUS wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:44 am
hmph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 am This is a common nonsensical argument I hear all the time. If he has an 80% approval rating, why would he imprison or kill his political opponents?
those aren't honest percentages, they're rigged.
Besides, many Russian people have long been convinced that it is not Putin who sits in the Kremlin, but his double. or triple.
When I watched this interview, I was once again convinced of this.
Hmm, he did kind of look a little puffy and bloated. But I just thought that was from his prior illness. There must be some interesting conversations about the doppelgangers.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

hmph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:43 am But for the average Russian, things have improved considerably and corruption has also decreased.
Oh, don't make my slippers laugh! :)
Apparently for this reason of prosperity in Russia, everyone wants to leave it at least somewhere else.
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

Roryborealis wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:46 am Hmm, he did kind of look a little puffy and bloated. But I just thought that was from his prior illness. There must be some interesting conversations about the doppelgangers.
Grandaddy Google to the rescue! :)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

hmph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 am
xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 pm He's still a ruthless leader who either kills or imprisons his political opponents
If he has an 80% approval rating, why would he imprison or kill his political opponents?
Maybe the answer is in the question?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

xandreu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:32 am Maybe the answer is in the question?
Well yes, the answer is in the question. Putin would have no reason to do any of that. Incidentally, he is up for re-election soon and he's going to win by a landslide.

The reason for that is quite simple. He has transformed Russia from being a completely failed state to one where Russian people are well off.

As I mentioned, the opposition parties are the Communist Party and this nationalist party which are both more radical than Putin.

This whole notion that if we don't stop Putin from taking over Ukraine then he will continue to try to conquer the rest of Europe is ridiculous. Long before the Russian intervention in the Ukrainian civil war Putin made it clear to them it was a red line when it comes to NATO expansion.

We first had the Minsk agreements that Ukraine signed but never implemented that would have kept the Donbass region a part of Ukraine.

Then we had the Istanbul agreements that would have ceded control of Crimea and Donbass to Russia in exchange for peace.

But no, the Ukrainians refused all of that. Thinking the "West" would help them win a war against Russia. Right after the US pulled out of Afghanistan.

Ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries in the world. But obviously, they are also ruled by the dumbest leaders ever.
Roryborealis
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Roryborealis »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:22 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:54 pm Image
Seriously: What different questions would you have had him ask? I thought his questions (e.g, "Why invade the Ukraine now, why not earlier?") Were actually decent, and people seem to think unless you're obnoxiously adversarial like some BBC Newsnight host, then you are not conducting a decent, thorough interview.

Why does every interviewer have to hammer home Western geopolitical talking points? We already know them all, since they are ridiculously, sophomorically simple to memorise anyway ("Putin invaded Ukraine because he is evil and hates Gay Marriage")
Surely you can recognize the irony in your railing against "talking points." I've read your prior posts. Talking points are your wheelhouse. I still love how you earnestly employed the terms "screed" and "apparatchik." Those were gold.

Perhaps that which you erroneously ascribe to "Western geopolitical" scripts is in reality just good old critical thinking and non-state sponsored factual development, research, and journalism?

That monologue by your mafia boss was well performed, Mr. Talking Points.

As to memorization, congratulations on your obvious skill in that department. Mimicry is apparently well rewarded and incentivized in certain circles. Critical thinking and independent analysis? Not so much. That'll get you a view from the balcony, if you know what I mean.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

It's only sort of related, but I was reading the comments after a post about how Putin mocked Tucker during the interview and people started talking about when John Oliver burned Tucker too. I almost spit my coffee out laughing...

Tucker, the sentient croquet mallet. He's the answer to the question 'what if the sound thud grew a face'?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Random Dude wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:31 am It's only sort of related, but I was reading the comments after a post about how Putin mocked Tucker during the interview and people started talking about when John Oliver burned Tucker too. I almost spit my coffee out laughing...

Tucker, the sentient croquet mallet. He's the answer to the question 'what if the sound thud grew a face'?
This is one of the best critiques of TC I've seen.

"He looks like a constipated turtle doing a man impression"...

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic