putin interview

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: putin interview

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

The BBC's article is atrocious propaganda that somehow comes off as more polemic and less credible than something out of 1940s China. Look at this:
In one episode, he advocated for the US invasion of Canada. In another, he called the metric system the "yoke of tyranny".
Does the editor of BBC News have Aspergers or something? This was obviously not a segment meant to be taken seriously.;
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:54 pm Image
Seriously: What different questions would you have had him ask? I thought his questions (e.g, "Why invade the Ukraine now, why not earlier?") Were actually decent, and people seem to think unless you're obnoxiously adversarial like some BBC Newsnight host, then you are not conducting a decent, thorough interview.

Why does every interviewer have to hammer home Western geopolitical talking points? We already know them all, since they are ridiculously, sophomorically simple to memorise anyway ("Putin invaded Ukraine because he is evil and hates Gay Marriage")
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 pm Watching the interview at the moment. The first 20-30 minutes is a history lesson.
Tucker Carlson has been an outspoken defender of Mr Putin since the war began. Just before Russia's invasion, he claimed that "hating Putin has become the central purpose of America's foreign policy", but urged his viewers to ask themselves why.

"Has Putin ever called me a racist? Has he threatened to get me fired for disagreeing with him?" Carlson said as Russian troops started to mass on Ukraine's border. "These are fair questions, and the answer to all of them is: No. Vladimir Putin didn't do any of that."
That is not defending Putin but questioning American power and foreign policy. There is a difference.
I have a feeling that those in Russia who disagree with Putin don't so much get fired as get fired at. That's assuming they haven't already had a balcony related accident.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Journalism is dead … welcome to 1984 … again
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bluenose wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:38 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:39 pm Watching the interview at the moment. The first 20-30 minutes is a history lesson.
Tucker Carlson has been an outspoken defender of Mr Putin since the war began. Just before Russia's invasion, he claimed that "hating Putin has become the central purpose of America's foreign policy", but urged his viewers to ask themselves why.

"Has Putin ever called me a racist? Has he threatened to get me fired for disagreeing with him?" Carlson said as Russian troops started to mass on Ukraine's border. "These are fair questions, and the answer to all of them is: No. Vladimir Putin didn't do any of that."
That is not defending Putin but questioning American power and foreign policy. There is a difference.
I have a feeling that those in Russia who disagree with Putin don't so much get fired as get fired at. That's assuming they haven't already had a balcony related accident.
More people have been arrested for online dissent in the UK than have been arrested in Russia in almost 10.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:24 pm

More people have been arrested for online dissent in the UK than have been arrested in Russia in almost 10.
Translation anyone?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:50 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:24 pm

Translation anyone?
Little red book of mind manipulation?
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 pm He's still a ruthless leader who either kills or imprisons his political opponents
This is a common nonsensical argument I hear all the time. If he has an 80% approval rating, why would he imprison or kill his political opponents? Of course, if you are a political opposition party that knows you cannot win, you will cry foul to win outside sympathy. Maybe even get the CIA to try to impose a coup, like they did in Ukraine.
Roryborealis
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Roryborealis »

hmph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:13 am
xandreu wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:00 pm He's still a ruthless leader who either kills or imprisons his political opponents
This is a common nonsensical argument I hear all the time. If he has an 80% approval rating, why would he imprison or kill his political opponents? Of course, if you are a political opposition party that knows you cannot win, you will cry foul to win outside sympathy. Maybe even get the CIA to try to impose a coup, like they did in Ukraine.
Your take on political opposition in Russian is quite sympathetic to the incumbent mafia.

Is there even any political opposition still alive there?
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Roryborealis wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:28 am Your take on political opposition in Russian is quite sympathetic to the incumbent mafia.

Is there even any political opposition still alive there?
Yes, the largest opposition party in Russia is the Communist Party. The second largest is an ultra-nationalist party. Compared to them Putin is a moderate and rational person. But of course, your lying Western media will never mention this. Instead opting to call Navalny an opposition leader when at most he had 2% of support nationally in Russia.

As for calling the current government government "mafia", I would have to disagree. After the Soviet Union collapsed people in Russia were in dire straits and corruption was rampant. Sure, corruption is still a big problem in Russia to this day. But for the average Russian, things have improved considerably and corruption has also decreased. Which is why they support Putin. That is my point.

And speaking of mafia. You have Biden and his son making shady dealings that would fall right into that category as well. Far more than what Putin has ever done (that we know of).
Last edited by hmph on Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic