Your annoying westerner ways.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Your annoying westerner ways.

Post by ItWasntMe »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:45 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:12 am
Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:09 am A Mexican who lived here for many years told me that he was explaining the word mañana to a Cambodian, who replied that they have a similar concept in Khmer, but it lacks the sense of immediacy.
What is this similar concept you speak of?

Does anyone possess this knowledge? Sounds like what would be my reply to everything.
Same concept as "besok" in Indonesian. Supposed to mean tomorrow, but instead means anytime from tomorrow until eternity, hence the lack of immediacy, unless a a specific date is added.
I hear you, but what's this khmer word then?

Also, the concept of mañana does not mean "tomorrow", it means it can ALWAYS be tomorrow, as in between now and eternity.
In northern Brazil there is this saying "não faça hoje o que você pode fazer amanhã", don't to the things today that you can do tomorrow.
Same concept applies tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:09 pm
Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:09 am A Mexican who lived here for many years told me that he was explaining the word mañana to a Cambodian, who replied that they have a similar concept in Khmer, but it lacks the sense of immediacy.

Does anyone possess this knowledge? Sounds like what would be my reply to everything.
Same concept as "besok" in Indonesian. Supposed to mean tomorrow, but instead means anytime from tomorrow until eternity, hence the lack of immediacy, unless a a specific date is added.
I hear you, but what's this khmer word then?

Also, the concept of mañana does not mean "tomorrow", it means it can ALWAYS be tomorrow, as in between now and eternity.
In northern Brazil there is this saying "não faça hoje o que você pode fazer amanhã", don't to the things today that you can do tomorrow.
Same concept applies tomorrow, and the day after, and the day after.
In German, it is: "Verschiebe nicht auf morgen was du heute kannst besorgen". Don't delay until tomorrow what can be done today. Probably why the German economy is doing a tad better than the Brazilian economy.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

and the boy scott moto:
Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today. <For tomorrow may be too late>

and mark twain said

"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow."
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

I didn't speak of it: my Mexican friend only told me what a Cambodian had purportedly said.

I assumed at the time that it was a joke, and still do. I think he was just saying that Cambodians could even outdo Mexicans in their laid-back lifestyles.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:38 pm
I didn't speak of it: my Mexican friend only told me what a Cambodian had purportedly said.

I assumed at the time that it was a joke, and still do. I think he was just saying that Cambodians could even outdo Mexicans in their laid-back lifestyles.
Fair enough but I'm sure there is a word for it, their must be.

Either way they're in the competition for sure. Doing nothing is a skill one must practice.

To sit down in a chair and guard a door 12 hours a day, every day. That's what's up.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

hanno wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 pm My pet gripe: foreigners speaking Pidgin English to all and sundry. Makes them look more of a moron than the person they are speaking to.
What you say speak true I'm very agree :bow:
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

But "besok" does mean tomorrow! It's just that tomorrow never comes.... :dragonchase:

I'd say "besok" whilst not definitively meaning "I will do that the day after today" does mean "I will do that sometime in the reasonably near future."

"besok besok" however........... :lol:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:31 pm "besok besok" however........... :lol:
I you get a "nanti besok", don't even bother to expect anything anytime soon, or even late ^^
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:01 am
reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:31 pm "besok besok" however........... :lol:
I you get a "nanti besok", don't even bother to expect anything anytime soon, or even late ^^
I always took "nanti besok" to refer to a vague time long after my visa was cancelled and there was no way I could ever verify that was to be done "later tomorrow"...
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

vaginal pain from rough sex with me
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic