Your annoying westerner ways.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Your annoying westerner ways.

Post by YaTingPom »

Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 am
IraHayes wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:27 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm One guy said he learned to keep conversations with his girl restricted to basic family, local community, and day to day stuff because going beyond these subjects into topics of the larger world would sometimes elicit a response along the lines of “You think you know everything.”
Isn't the reason in that case mostly a discrepancy in education levels between those partners? As many Westerners essentially date farm girls, that doesn't really come as a major surprise.
And 4 college students in the US couldn't answer a simple maths question. I could see those westerners here that "essentially date farm girls" having the same problems when trying to converse with them.
Agreed.

Or being equally compatible.
The various conversations I have heard over the years from expats with local girls usually goes like this
"I stay here, yes, you go shop"
"Give me money"
"Give already. Tom tom, you not ask for more"
"No hab, buy this and that and medicine for mother"
etc etc

Overheard one English guy at Browns on the phone;
"You lie, you say with friend but I know you with man"
>shouty shouty<
"NO, you lie. Fuck you. Go with another man, I don't care you slag"
>shouty, shouty shout<
"I don't care. You lie!"

He then walks past me with two mixed race kids in tow, both under 10yo! :facepalm:

I wish expats would talk to their better halves in actual English instead of talking to them like they are a 3yo child. Nothing worse than seeing a smoking hot chick until she starts speaking! :plus1:
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

xandreu wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:35 pm
You can't deny that in general, Khmers some of the most laid back, relaxed, easy-going people on the planet, and I think it's largely down to the fact that they generally only care about things that really matter, and don't waste a second of their lives to things that don't. Us westerners do have a habit of fretting over things we have no control over anyway. I think Khmers are much better at realising when something isn't worth bothering with.
For many in the developed world primary concerns are dealt with by retirement pensions, healthcare, to an extent legal institutions and enforcement. This leaves them free to worry about trivial matters hence 'First World problems' and things they can't change. Diseases of chronic stress abound.

In less advanced countries there is so much outwith your control that too much catastrophising has little adaptive value. Living for the day makes more sense, and avoids the pointless additional burden of stress.

Ideally Barangs should focus less on what they can't control and Khmers should focus more on what they can, and is important - and both have the wisdom to know the difference.

A Mexican who lived here for many years told me that he was explaining the word mañana to a Cambodian, who replied that they have a similar concept in Khmer, but it lacks the sense of immediacy.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:09 am A Mexican who lived here for many years told me that he was explaining the word mañana to a Cambodian, who replied that they have a similar concept in Khmer, but it lacks the sense of immediacy.
What is this similar concept you speak of?

Does anyone possess this knowledge? Sounds like what would be my reply to everything.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

YaTingPom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:37 am
Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 am
IraHayes wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:27 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:16 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:40 pm One guy said he learned to keep conversations with his girl restricted to basic family, local community, and day to day stuff because going beyond these subjects into topics of the larger world would sometimes elicit a response along the lines of “You think you know everything.”
Isn't the reason in that case mostly a discrepancy in education levels between those partners? As many Westerners essentially date farm girls, that doesn't really come as a major surprise.
And 4 college students in the US couldn't answer a simple maths question. I could see those westerners here that "essentially date farm girls" having the same problems when trying to converse with them.
Agreed.

Or being equally compatible.
The various conversations I have heard over the years from expats with local girls usually goes like this
"I stay here, yes, you go shop"
"Give me money"
"Give already. Tom tom, you not ask for more"
"No hab, buy this and that and medicine for mother"
etc etc

Overheard one English guy at Browns on the phone;
"You lie, you say with friend but I know you with man"
>shouty shouty<
"NO, you lie. Fuck you. Go with another man, I don't care you slag"
>shouty, shouty shout<
"I don't care. You lie!"

He then walks past me with two mixed race kids in tow, both under 10yo! :facepalm:

I wish expats would talk to their better halves in actual English instead of talking to them like they are a 3yo child. Nothing worse than seeing a smoking hot chick until she starts speaking! :plus1:
Overheard conversation between two late 20s Australians in Kampot:

Her: I don't know how you can have a real relationship with any of these girls, you don't even speak the same language !

Him: But I've got my mates for that.
dirtymacca
Expatriate
Australia

Post by dirtymacca »

On a lighter note:
My dear departed friend Wayne, was married to a local lass.... they often argued in public and one day they are having a yelling match and as parting vocal statement she yelled at him "You think I know fuck nothing!....... Well, I KNOW FUCK ALL"

With that she stormed off thinking she had won that round. We couldn't stop laughing and I nearly spilt my beer! :popcorn:
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

After paying to have all the walls replastered and painted we had multiple fitted cupboards built.
I'm a weirdo for being upset when they scratch my walls whilst carrying wood in and out.
I'm also a weirdo for expecting painters to put dust sheets down instead of ruining my bookshelf.

I have multiple stories like this. According to my wife it is perfectly reasonable for a workman to vandalise our house and make the end result worse rather than put more than the minimum level of effort into their work.
Scarier than malaria.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

My pet gripe: foreigners speaking Pidgin English to all and sundry. Makes them look more of a moron than the person they are speaking to.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:02 am My Khmer wife's brain literally short circuits when I step into the kitchen and take command.
I imagine most folk, anywhere, might have the same rational response.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

YaTingPom wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:37 am Nothing worse than seeing a smoking hot chick until she starts speaking!
I have the same thoughts bout brummie lasses
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

ItWasntMe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:12 am
Stravaiger wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:09 am A Mexican who lived here for many years told me that he was explaining the word mañana to a Cambodian, who replied that they have a similar concept in Khmer, but it lacks the sense of immediacy.
What is this similar concept you speak of?

Does anyone possess this knowledge? Sounds like what would be my reply to everything.
Same concept as "besok" in Indonesian. Supposed to mean tomorrow, but instead means anytime from tomorrow until eternity, hence the lack of immediacy, unless a a specific date is added.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic