Vaccines requirements to visit Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
DaraU.
Tourist

Vaccines requirements to visit Cambodia

Post by DaraU. »

Hello,
We are a family with 2 children of 5 and 7 years old. We would like to visit Cambodia for 1 week in February: Phnom Penh, Siem Reap with the temples, Sianoukville...
What are the vaccines you think it s a must to do? If you look at the official websites they re a lot to do so I would like to have your feedback..

Thank you!
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Vaccines requirements to visit Cambodia

Post by YaTingPom »

Honestly I would not bother to get any and there is no requirements anyway. You are more at risk of having a traffic accident.
If you plan on doing all that in a week you will be exhausted!

For a week I would just do Siem Reap (the kids will be bored after an hour) and then to Kampot and Kep for the beach. Don't bother with Sihanoukville or PP unless you like crowded cities and S21 death camps.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

YaTingPom wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:13 pm Honestly I would not bother to get any and there is no requirements anyway. You are more at risk of having a traffic accident.
If you plan on doing all that in a week you will be exhausted!

For a week I would just do Siem Reap (the kids will be bored after an hour) and then to Kampot and Kep for the beach. Don't bother with Sihanoukville or PP unless you like crowded cities and S21 death camps.
This would be my advice as well, as a non medical practioner.

There is malaria, dengue, covid and a fair bit of everything else. But I imagine you're not going into the wild west or even st 172.

Think more of sunscreen and good places to eat, good luck and have fun!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

None are required but Typhoid, Tetanus and Hepatitis A are advised.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Agree with folks above - don't bother with most vaccines, worry more about sunscreen, road safety and not getting bitten by mosquitoes, especially in the morning. (Dengue fever)
My kids are just a bit older than yours and admittedly born here, but they only have vaccines given at, and shortly after birth and COVID shots (which were pretty much mandatory.)
Get them up to date on Tetanus shots and maybe Hep A
Them clinics and whatnot will try and sell you all sorts of bs that you don't need. Tried to make me pay for a Japanese Encephalitis shot among others when I first headed to Asia. In 20 years have never even heard of anyone having that.

I should be clear that I am also not a physician so y'know, caveat n all that. Have fun!
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Hepatitis A and B if you travel often.

From uncle Google: How long does it take for hepatitis vaccine to work?
Clinical trials of hepatitis A vaccines measured antibody response at 2 and 4 weeks after vaccination. However, studies investigating early seroconversion found that the vast majority of vaccinees develop antibodies within 2 weeks of vaccination, some as early as 12 days after vaccination.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:06 pm None are required but Typhoid, Tetanus and Hepatitis A are advised.
Which have you had?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

All, but not recently.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont worry , just bring DEET for mosquitoes, only drink bottled water, skip the fruit juices with ice on the street, dont let them wander off
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

Dont shoot their poisons
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic