Getting a loan

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Getting a loan

Post by Big'n »

[*]
My wife is Cambodian and she owns some property and I inquired that getting a short term loan using it as collateral. She said it would be a year long process and that I don't understand how the banking system works here in Cambodia. I said I guess you're right because it doesn't work that way in any other country that I am aware of.

Am I just totally ignorant or is she mistaken?
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Getting a loan

Post by YaTingPom »

What is the loan for?
She can get approved in a day, although the interest rate is high.

It's more likely there are already loans on that property and/or she either does not own it (have you seen the hard title?) or it is co owned by another family member and they have fallen out!
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Big'n wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:34 am [*]
My wife is Cambodian and she owns some property and I inquired that getting a short term loan using it as collateral. She said it would be a year long process and that I don't understand how the banking system works here in Cambodia. I said I guess you're right because it doesn't work that way in any other country that I am aware of.

Am I just totally ignorant or is she mistaken?
The bank will want to at least see, and maybe hold, the title to the land. Don't just assume she has one. Getting one can be a drawn-out process.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

the bank loan process is super easy if you have the proper land docs. took one out a few years back and the i rate was about 7.99%. bank will however keep it in their possession but you can request official copies or such when doing other stuff e g. tax/registration.

cam land/home docs can be a pain to deal with so as long as she has the title its painless with the bank.

if the docs questionable then she'll have to navigate the incompetent fixers and bureaucrats %)

this new land reg a painful process imho
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

Thanks for your help folks. She has the hard title so that is not the issue here. I think that this was the wife's way of saying, "No, I don't want to do this!"
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

She will need the Hard Title to her land, steady income, proof of employment/business ownership, and a Guarantor....tick all those boxes and loan can be approved same day. Bank will keep the original Hard Title as collateral.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:04 pm She will need the Hard Title to her land, steady income, proof of employment/business ownership, and a Guarantor....tick all those boxes and loan can be approved same day. Bank will keep the original Hard Title as collateral.
Do they want a third party guarantor on top of land securitisation? I thought the whole point of offering land/real property was this provides the necessary bank guarantee of being paid in the event of a loan default.

Is the guarantor perhaps used to provide additional leverage to ensure the performance of the loan?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic