How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How old were you when you first visited Cambodia?

Under 18
3%
19-24
16%
25-29
14%
30-34
21%
35-39
10%
40-44
10%
45-49
3%
50-54
9%
55-59
7%
60+
7%

Total votes: 58
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Were you a wide-eyed young thing on a gap year adventure when you first visited Cambodia? Or maybe you were a disillusioned middle-aged escapee fleeing conventions and the sterility of a boring life in the west? Were you somebody in between looking for work in an exotic land? How old were you when you first washed up on the shores of Cambodia?

We've been talking, and we want to know.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

Post by ItWasntMe »

I was living on and island not too far away. Wanted a change, but somewhere with a little bit of infrastructure to carry on my work.

A good bar friend recommended Kampot, and wanted me to send his love to the lady boss over where pita pita is now. Never found her.

It was a while ago
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

should go along with
what year did you first visit Cambodia?
for me 1988, voted 35-39
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was touring the region, went to Thailand and Laos first but Cambodia was my main target. I was 31 in 1999.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I was 30. I had just moved to Thailand and went to explore Thailand's neighboring countries, including Cambodia (first visit in 2006).
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

Was in my early 20s when I first visited PP and Sihanoukville in 1999. Didn’t return until 15 years later, but must have made over 50 trips there since 2014.
Only that very first trip was for pleasure/adventure. All others were on business.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

I was 23. I'm 40 this year 😬
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I will have to say over 60. , when they said ,” you got a year ( or so ) to go , son . “
How do you vote and comment on the same “submit “ click ?
That’s my problem lately , submitting . Other forms
I was watching “2 1/2 men” and charley harpers bar in sihanoukville popped up from somewhere somehow .
I messaged to Tony at CHARLEY HARPERS in sihanoukville. Asked for directions to get there and came PDQ
Right off the plane to Charly harpers poker games ..
I really did think I died and went to heaven , now I feel like I am in purgatory .
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Wednesday marks my 1-year anniversary living in the kingdom. Came here at 56. First time in Southeast Asia was Cobra Gold '98 in Kanchanuburi, Thailand. Got to play on Tiger Woods home course, where his mom comes from. So many adventures/memories from that trip.
Last edited by Fridaywithmateo on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

First passport, my 50th birthday my mate was working here and we flew to Singapore with wives ,then on birthday landed in Cambodia. Travelled to the Goldiana in BKK1 and we were to meet my mate and missus for a drink in 20 mins. one hour and half later we went to their room and they wondered why so long. Fact was my UK born wife was in shock and wanted to go home already. Took a while to convince her to stay .

The tank tracks on street 63 from the Thai issue started by the Thai actress claims about Angkor Wat.
The actress, the temple and the alleged remark that brought two nations to the brink of war
Jan McGirk
Friday 31 January 2003 01:00 GMT

Been coming her since then and retired here 10 years ago :hattip: :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic