How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

How old were you when you first visited Cambodia?

Under 18
3%
19-24
16%
25-29
14%
30-34
21%
35-39
10%
40-44
10%
45-49
3%
50-54
9%
55-59
7%
60+
7%

Total votes: 58
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: How old were you when you first visited Cambodia? Poll.

Post by Sheepdog »

I was 27 - seems like a long time ago!
I guess it kinda is.. back in 2013 🍻
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

First visit was i April 2001. I was in Kuala Lumpur and got bored and decided to visit a friend in Bangkok. However, when I reached the airport all the flights to BKK was full for days. I got on a plane to PNH ( the plan was to take a bus to Bangkok), but I ended up in Walkabout Hotel. Not a boring place. After five days I got in a taxi to Sihanoukville where my friend from Bangkok met up with me. I spent a full week in Sihanoukville and fell in love with the place.

Have been visiting Sihanoukville every year since, untill the covid thing happened.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

I was 27. It was back in 2013. Good times! Some crazy ones! Still here time flies eh🍻
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

I visited first time for a 2 week program related to "TAB" Teachers Across Borders. My dad knew someone who was running the program and figured would be a change of life type of experience ( i think)..
That was in 2010 and came back every year since. In 2011 or 2012 I stayed for 2/3 months - summer trip and got an apartment thru someone I met in 2010. Right near "The lost room restaurant" on street 21.

That was definitely before Aeon Mall opened. I loved the little community in that area and get an apartment every year in same area.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

A manufactured incident, I'm still not sure what anyone was trying to achieve.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Age 35 in 1996. Loved the "wild west" anything goes atmosphere. Seems kind of bland now.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I retired at age 62, 11 years ago. Had been working in Riyadh for 5 years. I figured Cambodia was about as far removed from Saudi Arabia as I could get, and I was right. Day after I landed, I went to Riverside, stopped at a Happy Pizza. Bought a bag of weed, took it back to the hotel, caught my first buzz in years. Ahhh. Still here. Aaaaaaaannnnnnnd loving it.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

I know a guy who first came to Cambodia in about 2012. He now tells everyone he has been in Cambodia for 12 years.
What he fails to mention is he only comes here for 4 - 6 months and wasn't even here for two years over Covid but still tells everyone "Been living in Cambodia for 12 years" etc etc

In my eyes if you are not "all in" then Cambodia is not your home. You are a tourist.

In that case I have been living in SE Asia since 1992. :wink: :( :plus1:
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Arrived in June 2009 at 32 years old and didn't step foot outside Cambodia until July 2021 and haven't been back since.

Will return for visits once the sprogs get a bit older.

That is one regret I have though, I wish I had traveled the region whilst there. I would have loved to have spent some time in Burma and Laos.

But Cambodia kept me plenty busy, so I never got around to it.

Cambodia, she's a fickle mistress.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I'd like to hear from the guys that voted under `18?
did u come with ur parents?

I didn't get to asia/se asia till i was 25 :-)

I am a member of the fb group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/1702950456599867
some great stories/photos
it was an amazing time to be around this area.
I know a guy who first came to Cambodia in about 2012. He now tells everyone he has been in Cambodia for 12 years.
What he fails to mention is he only comes here for 4 - 6 months and wasn't even here for two years over Covid but still tells everyone "Been living in Cambodia for 12 years" etc etc
My brother is law is like that ( married to my partners sister)
he first came in 2011 and only spent 1 month /year till 2021when he finally moved over, yet tells people 10 years back than :facepalm:

when people i meet in person that i dont know, ask how long i have been here , i tell them about 1 month.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic