Smith's Texas BBQ Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Smith's Texas BBQ Phnom Penh

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

https://m.facebook.com/smithtexasbbq?wt ... gb707rqTpX

Went to eat Smith's Texas BBQ tonight. Pretty good. Not cheap.

Authentic American-style wood-smoked BBQ meats. Not sure what wood, but you can smell it a block away on approach in Tuk Tuk.

Nice menu with many options. Beef, pork, chicken. Outdoor open picnic table style seating and smaller indoor with AC. Casual.

We ordered pork ribs, pork belly, and brisket. Ribs were the best, if not perfect. The others were good, but not as juicy as it could be. The coleslaw was really good. Also had BBQ pineapple and zucchini. They give free side dishes: sweet pickles, pickled banana peppers, peanuts. House BBQ sauce really nice, but on the sweet side.

It is a Korean-friendly spot, with plenty of soju on the menu. $1.50 for two draught beers during happy hour 5-7pm.

Clean, prompt friendly service. K-pop videos on the jumbotron. Kid friendly.

Would go again.

700 grams of meat, coleslaw, grilled zucchini, pineapple, two beers, small soju $43 usd. Filling. Took home about half the meat.

Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Smith's Texas BBQ Phnom Penh

UPDATE: Took the wife second time on a Friday night … place was empty … raised my suspicion immediately … welp, we ordered the brisket and it seemed a tad dry … sides were on point but the star of the show was a let down … will give this place one more try, but I will not hold my breath.

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I noticed on a video, that although they have a huge sexy ass offset smoker, they weren't actually using it as it should be, they had connected a smokai type device and were using pellets....the fire chamber was empty, no wood or charcoal, so no heat, just smoke (cold smoking)...seemed odd, or maybe the video was just poorly edited.

I will check the place out when I'm back in town, not going to write them off based on a video I saw on FB.
HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

I'd say give it another chance. A lot of barang restaurants that serve pretty authentic food have been popping up lately (shout out to Itacate Siem Reap), and they are trying to adjust and troubleshoot their businesses to the realities of doing business locally.

If the bbq is still like this a month or two later though, it may just be a dud, which happens sometimes (by contrast with Itacate Siem Reap, another one, Maybe Later Mexican Grill, just doesn't cut it in terms of quality).
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

The pit master may have been on holiday or something. I really want this place to succeed. First time around it was awesome. Service is excellent, atmosphere, everything is great ... but dry brisket is a sin. I grew up in Texas and I know my BBQ very well. Great menu, fair prices too. Hope they can figure it out.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm The pit master may have been on holiday or something. I really want this place to succeed. First time around it was awesome. Service is excellent, atmosphere, everything is great ... but dry brisket is a sin. I grew up in Texas and I know my BBQ very well. Great menu, fair prices too. Hope they can figure it out.
Have you tried Lonestar on street 23? It was once owned by a Texan who set the place up with a smoker and got the recipe right and they still use the smoker and make ribs a few times a week and always fresh on Sunday. Sunday is Ribs special day, you get about 3 or 4, plus 2 sides and a beer for about $8 if I remember correctly.

It sounds a whole load cheaper than Smith's.

They look like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lon ... ?entry=ttu
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm The pit master may have been on holiday or something. I really want this place to succeed. First time around it was awesome. Service is excellent, atmosphere, everything is great ... but dry brisket is a sin. I grew up in Texas and I know my BBQ very well. Great menu, fair prices too. Hope they can figure it out.
Have you tried Lonestar on street 23? It was once owned by a Texan who set the place up with a smoker and got the recipe right and they still use the smoker and make ribs a few times a week and always fresh on Sunday. Sunday is Ribs special day, you get about 3 or 4, plus 2 sides and a beer for about $8 if I remember correctly.

It sounds a whole load cheaper than Smith's.

They look like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Lon ... ?entry=ttu
I got banned at Lone Star ... but I agree they have got the food/menu right!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:37 am
I got banned at Lone Star ... but I agree they have got the food/menu right!
How did you get banned from Lone Star?
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I got banned at viva , it took a few times tho , of christening the floor with my margarita glasses .
Every time I would do it I told them to put my drink in a glass that don’t tip so easily ..
The 1st couple times they thought it was an accident Maybe because I opted for the $10 “ special “ margarita
vs, the $1.50 happy hour’s special but the 3rd time I got the boot ..
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Lone Stars ribs are bang on 😋

@Fridaywithmateo what on earth did you do to warrant a ban from Lone Star, share your story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic