Smith's Texas BBQ Phnom Penh

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Smith's Texas BBQ Phnom Penh

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:37 am
Doc67 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:08 am
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:51 pm The pit master may have been on holiday or something. I really want this place to succeed. First time around it was awesome. Service is excellent, atmosphere, everything is great ... but dry brisket is a sin. I grew up in Texas and I know my BBQ very well. Great menu, fair prices too. Hope they can figure it out.
Have you tried Lonestar on street 23?
I got banned at Lone Star ... but I agree they have got the food/menu right!
See this even Kenr can believe :lol:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Not sure. Did a 20-minute joke at open mic, great convo with super cool customers and other folks at the mic. Next time I went the boss lady said I am not welcome. Head scratcher.
LamarFreddie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LamarFreddie »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:27 pm Not sure. Did a 20-minute joke at open mic, great convo with super cool customers and other folks at the mic. Next time I went the boss lady said I am not welcome. Head scratcher.
Have you had this reaction to your material before? Sounds like you really read the room and killed.
Tough crowd. Maybe they prefer one liners.
I already regret asking this, but what was the joke?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Super corny joke about a Chinese guy and a Jewish girl arguing about the name of the baby girl ... short version ... they try therapy and reach compromise and name the girl Julie. I did the long version alba Norm MacDonald style (my comic hero).

My best joke, and tested many times ... it does kill and got some great laughs ... but the problem with open mics in some venues is people are there not for comedy, (talking, texting, eating) so I figure likely, if it was the joke, it was somebody (Karen type) who took it wrong and complained. But I really have no idea what it was. Mystery.
Phnom Krom
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Krom »

About 1 year ago I went to LS for the first time in a long time with my gal during the day. We took a couple of bar stools and I ordered 2 drafts.

The Khmer waitress/owner? immediately informed us that "if we were there to have fun. then this aint the place for you"

I was stunned, stood up with my hands surrendering high in the air, and we left to never return.

Veey strange indeed and absolutely unprovoked.

Sounds like the same gal Mateo.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ya never know the whole story sometimes … in different cultures it is easy to have misunderstandings … have a million stories like that in Japan. Saving face thing too can be complicated.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:27 pm Did a 20-minute joke. Head scratcher.
With material of that kind...
post620922.html#p620922
There's a whole scene awaiting for your talent between 1915 and 1940 in europe, when people were so down to their knees they had lame comical features like farting on scene to make them laugh, the actual funny people being dead at the wars.
I bet you can blow a few candles too ^^
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:05 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:27 pm Did a 20-minute joke. Head scratcher.
With material of that kind...
post620922.html#p620922
There's a whole scene awaiting for your talent between 1915 and 1940 in europe, when people were so down to their knees they had lame comical features like farting on scene to make them laugh, the actual funny people being dead at the wars.
I bet you can blow a few candles too ^^
Yeah, still trying to find my voice/style … but I about a good 90 minutes … gotta get the reps in, learn crowd work, beats, etc. But laughter is the best medicine, and this crazy world needs more laughter.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Phnom Krom wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:17 pm About 1 year ago I went to LS for the first time in a long time with my gal during the day. We took a couple of bar stools and I ordered 2 drafts.

The Khmer waitress/owner? immediately informed us that "if we were there to have fun. then this aint the place for you"

I was stunned, stood up with my hands surrendering high in the air, and we left to never return.

Veey strange indeed and absolutely unprovoked.

Sounds like the same gal Mateo.

I've been going to the place occasionally for years but have a different experience.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic