Do you drink and drive? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you drink and drive?

1. Never.
29%
2. Rarely.
10%
3. Occasionally.
10%
4. Often.
27%
5. I used to but not anymore.
24%

Total votes: 41
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Do you drink and drive? Poll.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

It wasn't that long ago most people I knew had no problem getting on a scooter or behind the wheel after a drinking session to trundle off home. I remember the night very clearly when I decided to never do it again - it was a close call.

Have attitudes changed much toward this behavior? Do you drink and drive? Have you ever?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Do you drink and drive? Poll.

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I do. But only when I am certain of the route and I feel clear headed. Some people at .08 are idiots ... some people at .08 are super straight ... when it comes to booze, one size does not fit all ... genetics matter. #itsscience
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Jesus , if I do drink I still drive , but not anymore . quit drinking saves wet pants
Sihanoukville yes , but not here , and definitely would not drive Pp .
I never did wear a helmet either and the cops been letting me have a pass for it
but Recently they start having alots of police around so I did break down and got a $2.50 helmet .
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Well, no.
I mean, after a beer or a glass of wine, could happen. Not drunk, and fine by ethylotest. Add another glass, positive on test, and i don't want that.
Used to go home by bike (Kawasaki GPZ 750 and else) after partying all night 20 years ago, but then, a bit of fresh air under the helmet helped to sober-up, or at least sharpen the tools before hitting the road, but that was over when i moved to asia, taxis are cheap.
Now back home, driving a car, there are more controls based on the looks of the driver and his vehicle, and all penalties tend to be tighter when controlled, so no more of this.
But i smoke and drive, and i'm fine since decades, no accidents or else.
Last edited by Ghostwriter on Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Of course not. You'll just spill your drink
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I did (admittedly, too often) when I was a college student. Not anymore! In places where I drink nowadays, there's just no need and it would be idiotic to take the risk.

Let's take my frequent visits to Phnom Penh as an example, where I drink quite often. I can either walk back or take Grab.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

Driving drunken on a bicycle I can impossible count. However, for the car/motorbike I have always kept it absolutely strict. No alcohol ever so far behind the wheel. Never drove stoned as well. But to spoil the perfect image: once I drove a friend home, while my trip on magic mushrooms had not yet fully ended. I only realized that when realizing that although it felt like driving 100km/h, it was just 40km/h - on a 4 lane highway...

Just realized: HIGHway. Nice one...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

ressl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:57 pm it felt like driving 100km/h, it was just 40km/h - on a 4 lane HIGHway...
Yeeah, not so great compared to the "no limit" potential of German autobahns...
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

ressl wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:57 pm Driving drunken on a bicycle I can impossible count. However, for the car/motorbike I have always kept it absolutely strict. No alcohol ever so far behind the wheel. Never drove stoned as well. But to spoil the perfect image: once I drove a friend home, while my trip on magic mushrooms had not yet fully ended. I only realized that when realizing that although it felt like driving 100km/h, it was just 40km/h - on a 4 lane highway...

Just realized: HIGHway. Nice one...
I also had to drive someone home once while I was on mushrooms. I thought they'd be worn off by then, but I was mistaken. It was a strange drive. We thankfully made it back okay. At least the odometer and other gauges were fully functioning while my internal gauges were in flux.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

There is drinking and then there is drinking.
I’d drive after 1 beer, but do not if I have had any more.
I don’t know what the limits are - I’m confident I’m within them - but I don’t want to test them.

Incidentally I rarely drive at night, because of all the half pissed drivers on the road.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic