Do you drink and drive? Poll.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Do you drink and drive?

1. Never.
29%
2. Rarely.
10%
3. Occasionally.
10%
4. Often.
27%
5. I used to but not anymore.
24%

Total votes: 41
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Do you drink and drive? Poll.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

8th Feb, 2024

Nearly 1,600 people​ died in traffic accidents in 2023, marking an 11 percent increase compared to last year, with experts suggesting strengthening enforcement of licenses and speed restrictions

According to a report by the National Road Safety Committee, in 2023, there were 3,317 traffic accidents, of which 55 percent occurred at night, causing 1,590 deaths and 4,515 injuries.

“Among the fatalities, 80 percent were motorcyclists (1,279/1,590 people),” the report noted.

The biggest cause of accidents ​was speeding (41 percent), followed by disrespecting the road rules (22 percent)

Full https://kiripost.com/stories/almost-160 ... es-in-2023
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:18 am Driving too slowly can cause as many, or more, accidents than road users who speed excessively
The point is that when drunk your responsiveness is greatly diminished and on top of that you take greater risks than you would do when you're sober. So driving slowly greatly reduces the risk of getting into accidents.

I've driven drunk, on speed and ecstasy. Also, smoking weed, but that one just makes you paranoid and makes you don't want to speed.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:15 pm .

8th Feb, 2024

Nearly 1,600 people​ died in traffic accidents in 2023, marking an 11 percent increase compared to last year, with experts suggesting strengthening enforcement of licenses and speed restrictions

According to a report by the National Road Safety Committee, in 2023, there were 3,317 traffic accidents, of which 55 percent occurred at night, causing 1,590 deaths and 4,515 injuries.

“Among the fatalities, 80 percent were motorcyclists (1,279/1,590 people),” the report noted.

The biggest cause of accidents ​was speeding (41 percent), followed by disrespecting the road rules (22 percent)

As a fast car fan, and former motorcyclist, and over the years having seen plenty of stupidity, I always question when the stats suggest speed itself is the cause.

Speed is often only a contributing factor, when the real cause was gross stupidity by the driver. All too often someone whose belief in their own skills was vastly at odds with the reality. Speed in the wrong place, not the speed itself. Bad observation, planning, judgement. But you can’t quantify those things. Speed comes with numbers. Alive and dead are easily established. The analogue in between somewhat more difficult.

Many people, anywhere, barely have the faintest idea of what is happening around them when they’re sober. The phone snatching, money swapping, minor accidents that don’t get reported are sufficient testimony.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:13 am
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:15 pm .

8th Feb, 2024

As a fast car fan, and former motorcyclist, and over the years having seen plenty of stupidity, I always question when the stats suggest speed itself is the cause.

Speed is often only a contributing factor, when the real cause was gross stupidity by the driver. All too often someone whose belief in their own skills was vastly at odds with the reality. Speed in the wrong place, not the speed itself. Bad observation, planning, judgement. But you can’t quantify those things. Speed comes with numbers. Alive and dead are easily established. The analogue in between somewhat more difficult.

Many people, anywhere, barely have the faintest idea of what is happening around them when they’re sober. The phone snatching, money swapping, minor accidents that don’t get reported are sufficient testimony.
I generally chuckle at “speed kills”, because it rarely does. It’s the shuddering sudden stop that kills lol
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hmph wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:00 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:18 am Driving too slowly can cause as many, or more, accidents than road users who speed excessively
The point is that when drunk your responsiveness is greatly diminished and on top of that you take greater risks than you would do when you're sober. So driving slowly greatly reduces the risk of getting into accidents.

I've driven drunk, on speed and ecstasy. Also, smoking weed, but that one just makes you paranoid and makes you don't want to speed.
Do you remember when TV shows would get lads and women to drink 2 pints and drive an obstacle course? Then a third pint and repeat and so on and so forth?

I reckon I'd do 24 cans of Cambodia and still ace the course

Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I often drink and drive … putt too!
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:26 am

Do you remember when TV shows would get lads and women to drink 2 pints and drive an obstacle course? Then a third pint and repeat and so on and so forth?

Exactly.
If they did it with piss heads who regularly drove it would be a crap test!
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

YaTingPom wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:49 am
Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:26 am

Exactly.
If they did it with piss heads who regularly drove it would be a crap test!
Not to mention that was made for TV. They likely drank some colored water (ie cambodia beer) before being instructed to fail hard.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I remember drinking with a bar owner in Sihanoukville many years ago when he mentioned he was quite confident in his ability to ride a scooter while drunk - he ran off the road and hit a tree killing himself a few years later.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

I used to know this guy and I was asking him nicely to not tailgate and speed. He told me if I didn't like his driving, he could drop me off on the side of the road. Before this, he told me a story where he was driving on a freeway and his car flipped over, and the emergency services had to cut him out of his vehicle. According to him, they told him he was lucky to be alive. But he clearly did not learn his lesson. Some people are just dumb AF.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic