Drive times and Prices: PP - Ha Tien Border.

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Drive times and Prices: PP - Ha Tien Border.

Post by Doc67 »

Does anyone know this journey well and can give travel time estimates and taxi prices, perhaps even some recommendations of drivers or where drivers hang out in the mornings waiting for passengers?

Thanks...
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drive times and Prices: PP - Ha Tien Border.

Post by kgbagent »

Seen private cars quoting $45-55 to Ha Tien on FB

Alternately, if a visa run, take the morning train to Kep and tuktuk to the border maybe 7-8$, have lunch at the border and then the 4pm train back to PP
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

kgbagent wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:54 pm Seen private cars quoting $45-55 to Ha Tien on FB

Alternately, if a visa run, take the morning train to Kep and tuktuk to the border maybe 7-8$, have lunch at the border and then the 4pm train back to PP
Not a visa run, it's a trip to Pho Quoc.

Thanks.
Is this the correct booking portal for Royal Railways? Because if so, it hasn't worked for a while. Do you just go to the station these days?
https://royalrailway.easybook.com/

Edit: Hmm, it's nearly 30km from Kep station top the border so I reckon any taxi would want almost as much as the trip from PP. I doubt I'll be spoilt for choice at Kep station.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:06 pm
kgbagent wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:54 pm Seen private cars quoting $45-55 to Ha Tien on FB

Thanks.
Is this the correct booking portal for Royal Railways? Because if so, it hasn't worked for a while. Do you just go to the station these days?

Edit: Hmm, it's nearly 30km from Kep station top the border so I reckon any taxi would want almost as much as the trip from PP. I doubt I'll be spoilt for choice at Kep station.
I’d been looking at that for later this year.
Several travel agencies in Kampot can organise the whole journey for you. Minibus, minibus/taxi, ferry.
I can’t remember how much but it seemed reasonable to me at the time (maybe $40-50 per head)
What we will do if we decide to go is travel to Kampot, stay a night there and leave the car, do the journey to Phu Quoc organised by travel agency, come back to Kampot, stay a night then return to PP.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Thanks.

Whoever is doing the trip should beware the Tet Offensive (from next Saturday) and its aftermath.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

As someone who does not like minibuses in Cambodia, I would go to Psar Daemkor and negtiate a front seat in a decent-looking Highlander (or the whole car). I'd expect to pay about $50 for the whole car, or $15 for the front seat.
Vietnam has good ride hailing apps but I don't know if you can get a pick up at the border to go to Ha Tien. I have done it in reverse and it worked fine and cost peanuts. Once at Ha Tien pier you simply buy a ticket on the next boat to depart (also inexpensive) and then ride hailing app again from your pier in Phu Quoc to your hotel (also inexpensive). You will likely be asked for small tea money by the immigration at Ha Tien and you will be assailed mightily by touts at the border and again at the Ha Tien ferry port. I advise you to say nothing to them as once they know your destination, it can get tricky.
Buy dong in advance in PP.

Google says 3 hours 30 mins drive time to the border.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:01 pm As someone who does not like minibuses in Cambodia, I would go to Psar Daemkor and negtiate a front seat in a decent-looking Highlander (or the whole car). I'd expect to pay about $50 for the whole car, or $15 for the front seat.
Vietnam has good ride hailing apps but I don't know if you can get a pick up at the border to go to Ha Tien. I have done it in reverse and it worked fine and cost peanuts. Once at Ha Tien pier you simply buy a ticket on the next boat to depart (also inexpensive) and then ride hailing app again from your pier in Phu Quoc to your hotel (also inexpensive). You will likely be asked for small tea money by the immigration at Ha Tien and you will be assailed mightily by touts at the border and again at the Ha Tien ferry port. I advise you to say nothing to them as once they know your destination, it can get tricky.
Buy dong in advance in PP.

Google says 3 hours 30 mins drive time to the border.
Did the trip 4x last year but from Kampot

Grab is geoblocked at the Ha Tien border and around the ferry terminals it seems. On the Cambodia side a moto tout will take you thru the borders and to the ferry terminal for about $6 and well advised to save a shadeless 500m walk thru no-mans land - same price in reverse to the border. A taxi from PQ ferry to the town area is $6-7 but cheaper going back as the Grab app works and is cheap.

If you offer $6-7 dollars then they wont be an issue the tout guys. On PQ u can taxi back to the pier for the same price but make sure you choose the right pier as they take you to the furthest one and then add a surcharge for the correct pier. Don't be late the boats leave bang on time. I prefer PQ Express boats as they are faster and newer and you can go upstairs and have a smoke or just take a seat in the VIP area - nobody cares.

Immigration on both sides have stopped asking for tea/coffee money for over a year but maybe cos they have seen all my stamps - however the Cambodian side actually has signs on the counters saying no money to be paid here.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Thanks.

The tuktuks will do $15 from Kampot to the border so I would expect maybe $10-12 from Kep - there will be heaps of tuktuks waiting and desperate for business.

Yes pop round to the station for a ticket but apart from weekends you should be able to get a ticket before departure
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Have they finished with the road between Kampot and Kep? Last July we took a ride in a PassApp from Kampot to Kep and that was the absolute worst ride I have taken in my life.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Kenr wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:36 pm Have they finished with the road between Kampot and Kep? Last July we took a ride in a PassApp from Kampot to Kep and that was the absolute worst ride I have taken in my life.
Haha - 50% complete 4 lanes OK daytime hazard at night and dusty

If u want worst road take the trip from Kampot to Snooky
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic