Power of attorney letter ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Power of attorney letter ?

Post by Jlucas »

Trying to get power of attorney accomplished and everywhere iv tried I get a confused look and a reply that it's not possible in cambodia

And suggestions would be appreciated,

I didnt think this should be this difficult to do , it's a simple letter

I'm in sihanoukville, if that helps

Very much appreciated for any direction offered πŸ™
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Power of attorney letter ?

Post by Doc67 »

1. Who do you want to empower with this letter and,
2. who do you want to respect and act on that empowerment, e.g. banks?

The circumstances of your needs may well throw up better solutions than a POA.

You also need to find out if such a legal concept is even recognised here. That's job #1. Have you been to a proper law firm yet and made inquiries there?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I think here it is called "general procuration", not PoA - I'd hope any law firm would understand from that, sometimes they can't make the leap if the language used isn't spot on.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

Doc67 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:50 pm 1. Who do you want to empower with this letter and,

You also need to find out if such a legal concept is even recognised here. That's job #1. Have you been to a proper law firm yet and made inquiries there?
I'm trying to submit on behalf of my mother her survivor pension application to Canada, they are requesting I include a power of attorney authorizing me so that I may complete the application for her

Perhaps I'm confused ? πŸ˜•
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Jlucas wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:06 pm
Doc67 wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:50 pm 1. Who do you want to empower with this letter and,

I'm trying to submit on behalf of my mother her survivor pension application to Canada, they are requesting I include a power of attorney authorizing me so that I may complete the application for her

So you are Canadian, submitting a Canadian application to Canadian authorities about her Canadian pension. Wouldn't they want to see a Canadian POA? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding the facts so far, but the only Cambodian aspect of this appears to be your physical location). All I'm saying is the POA, the designation of signatory authority, would need to be valid for the Canadian purposes and jurisdiction you need it for. Ideally you'd want a firm familiar with Canadian law (or at least with what sufficiently constitutes a valid POA for that Canadian pension agency's purposes). Are you sure the agency itself doesn't have some standardized form for that?
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

Roryborealis wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:34 pm

So you are Canadian, submitting a Canadian application to Canadian authorities about her Canadian pension. Wouldn't they want to see a Canadian POA? (sorry if I'm misunderstanding the facts so far, but the only Cambodian aspect of this appears to be your physical location). All I'm saying is the POA, the designation of signatory authority, would need to be valid for the Canadian purposes and jurisdiction you need it for. Ideally you'd want a firm familiar with Canadian law (or at least with what sufficiently constitutes a valid POA for that Canadian pension agency's purposes). Are you sure the agency itself doesn't have some standardized form for that?
My stepmother is khmer , father was canadian , sorry for my ignorance I'm trying to navigate this without much help , I'm only 38 so this is fairly unknown paper work for myself

My mother isn't able to come to Canada to get the paperwork done so I'm stuck inbetween trying to get something drafted here for her where we can sign it together ... and then mail off the application

The canadian pension program isn't very detailed in what I need to do ... iv spoken to them and they seem oblivious to cambodia and the difficulty obtaining paper work here , they simply said - include a power of attorney if I'm to fill out the application for her
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Jlucas wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 pm

My stepmother is khmer , father was canadian , sorry for my ignorance I'm trying to navigate this without much help , I'm only 38 so this is fairly unknown paper work for myself

My mother isn't able to come to Canada to get the paperwork done so I'm stuck inbetween trying to get something drafted here for her where we can sign it together ... and then mail off the application

The canadian pension program isn't very detailed in what I need to do ... iv spoken to them and they seem oblivious to cambodia and the difficulty obtaining paper work here , they simply said - include a power of attorney if I'm to fill out the application for her
I see. Perhaps the general procuration document that Spigzy mentioned above might suffice. It sounds like the agency just wants to make sure you have express legal authority to sign on her behalf, so that they can process the application.

If you end up drafting a POA letter, you might consider including an express statement that the delegation of authority is specifically (i.e., narrowly) for this particular purpose/application (as opposed to overly broad language regarding scope of authority).
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

Roryborealis wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 pm
Jlucas wrote: ↑Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:53 pm

I see. Perhaps the general procuration document that Spigzy mentioned above might suffice. It sounds like the agency just wants to make sure you have express legal authority to sign on her behalf, so that they can process the application.

If you end up drafting a POA letter, you might consider including an express statement that the delegation of authority is specifically (i.e., narrowly) for this particular purpose/application (as opposed to overly broad language regarding scope of authority).
Any suggestion where or who might be able to do this ?
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

I have used this kind of POA before,
PS:not a lawyer

To: Entity name
Entity address

Attn: name of Person in charge at entity
Person’s position

POWER OF ATTORNEY

Date: xxxxxxxxx
Ref No.: xxxxxxx

I, YOUR MOM NAME, ID No. XXX dated XXX, Cambodian citizen, do hereby authorize

Mr. YOU, ID No. XXXX dated XXXX, Canadian citizen,

to execute the following duties for the process of XXXX at ENTITY XXXX
- To sign the forms XXX, attached letters and documents, etc, ..;
- To sign letters, exchange documents with the XXXX, including requests for clarification documents and letters for clarification;
- To participate in the negotiation and fulfilment period of the contract;
- To sign contract with XXXX and all documents related to contract implementation.

The above authorized person shall execute work in the authorized scope with eligibility as the lawful representative of YOUR MOM. . YOUR MOM. takes entire responsibility for the works executed by YOU in the authorized scope.

This power of attorney is effective from XXX up to XXX.

This power attorney is made into three originals having equal validity, the authorized person shall keep one original, the authorizing person shall keep one original and the ENTITY shall keep one original.

Authorized person
YOU

Authorizing Person
YOUR MOM
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

This draft letter seems to hit the right notes. Also, to the extent Cambodia has a Notary Public function (and Canada even cares), you might consider having it properly notarized or sealed (or whatever the local version of that is called) for identity verification purposes. Good luck.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic