Gay Tourist Robbed by Masked Grindr Date in Cambodia Hotel, Has Suspect's DNA

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gay Tourist Robbed by Masked Grindr Date in Cambodia Hotel, Has Suspect's DNA

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A gay man who travels to Cambodia often says he had a date at his hotel room with another man he met on Grindr, and the masked man used his toothbrush and stole his Samsung phone.

He'd like to know if he could get the DNA info from the toothbrush and take it to police.

From social media: "My mobile phone was stolen by a date from grindr (gay dating app) in my hotel room, Phnom Penh riverside 28jan2024. Circumstances lead me to believe he does this regularly. He wore a mask, footage from security camera in hotel cannot identify him. He blocked me on grindr and telegram, and I have no contact details. He brushed his teeth in my bathroom and left the toothbrush (single-use, provided by hotel), which means I have fingerprints and a DNA-sample. But where I can I get the fingerprints lifted and DNA analyzed, and how would that help to find him? I would be willing to spend some time and money to get him into prison. I'm a frequent traveler to Cambodia. I had no experience with Khmer police, where would I report such a case (officer who speaks English and knows this type of crimes)?

Update: Thanks for your replies. I tried to set up a new account, but ran into technical difficulties, and now running out of time. The phone was a Note20Ultra that I bought for 600 USD a year ago and is now sold second hand for 450 in Phnom Penh. The issue is not so much to get my phone back, but to stop him from continuing."

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freebirdzz
Expatriate

Re: Gay Tourist Robbed by Masked Grindr Date in Cambodia Hotel, Has Suspect's DNA

Post by Freebirdzz »

He has the suspect's DNA. He also has his saliva on a toothbrush.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Gay Tourist Robbed by Masked Grindr Date in Cambodia Hotel, Has Suspect's DNA

Post by John Bingham »

Do they even do DNA testing here?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

>met on Grindr, and the masked man used his toothbrush and...<

He let a masked man in (was that part of the meet-up details) the masked man brushed his teeth (undeclared reason) and then made off with a mobile phone.

Was there an identifiable headshot on Grindr to refer to.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Did this man really just post his name and picture along with this sorry-assed tale and idiotic request for a DNA lab? In Cambodia, for a stolen phone? Pathetic.

I wonder what adverts the FB algos will serve him up?
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

His date was a real pain in the ass.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I still don't get the part how a masked man can shovel a toothbrush in his mouth. And why is he in need to brush his teeth, if he is after the phone? And that Christian is a frequent traveler to Cambodia can be put in question, I have never seen anyone getting identified by DNA for a stolen phone
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Contact ‘Cambodia CSI’

Best to drop them a message on Facebook. As per most places here, they never check emails.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:36 pm Did this man really just post his name and picture along with this sorry-assed tale and idiotic request for a DNA lab? In Cambodia, for a stolen phone? Pathetic.

I wonder what adverts the FB algos will serve him up?
Haha, right, what a plonker!

"Frequent visitor to Cambodia. Have never opened my eyes to anything beyond the local talent such as the fact that DNA testing a toothbrush might be a bit of a stretch here."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Even if he managed to extract the DNA profile of the guy, I'd be surprised if there was any kind of DNA database in Cambodia he could use to try to match it with someone. I've never heard of anyone having their DNA taken after being arrested here?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic