You can drive via KOW first underground road from tomorrow

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: You can drive via KOW first underground road from tomorr

Post by vladimir »

Kampong Spooner wrote:Says the Nit Picking King....

Draw your attention to the black hole in centre of picture, where the road goes..... underground.

The photos posted for Toul Kork look EXACTLY the same as that, with the same design, size and dimensions, even the colour scheme. Plus (I may be wrong, I'll check it out later) but last night there was no sign of the TK bridge being anywhere near ready.
:facepalm:

I was taking the piss at the fool journalist, KS.

Next time I'll spell it out for you, because everyone else got it.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I'm surprised at the speed with which they built that. I passed by it pretty often, probably once a week. Every time something new was up. The Chinese (I assume) foreman had this planned out very meticulously (assuming it's structurally sound). Still, I think we can expect a pileup/crash if some sort within a few weeks... No doubt about it.
This is the 4th overpass built in PP. Perhaps they're getting better with practice. The junction at Stung Meanchey bridge is much more complicated.
Scarier than malaria.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Stung Meanchey is overly complicated, but the worst one by far is Chbah Ampeuh. Dumbest design ever, and I find it hard to believe the Chinese could have designed something so stupid. I almost assume a local who's never been abroad and with no overpass knowledge designed it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

I love the fact that if you're on 271 you have to go 5km south before you can turn around and get back onto Norodom.

The petrol station intersection at the junction of 271 and Monivong is rapidly becoming the city's worst, access from 5 different directions, and on set of traffic lights. Planning genius.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Agreed. And if you want to take the Monivong bridge while heading south on Norodom, you have to go west for 1km, then make a u-turn at that very crazy 5-point "intersection" you talk about. The lack of planning or foresight for that overpass still baffles me to this day. I honestly think you'd have to try to make it that stupid, it couldn't have been an accident. Some Chinese guy decided to troll them knowing full well that none of the Cambodian city planners had ever seen an overpass before (except from afar while shopping with the wife in Bangkok or Singapore).
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Agreed. And if you want to take the Monivong bridge while heading south on Norodom, you have to go west for 1km, then make a u-turn at that very crazy 5-point "intersection" you talk about. The lack of planning or foresight for that overpass still baffles me to this day. I honestly think you'd have to try to make it that stupid, it couldn't have been an accident. Some Chinese guy decided to troll them knowing full well that none of the Cambodian city planners had ever seen an overpass before (except from afar while shopping with the wife in Bangkok or Singapore).
They might have seen some in Singapore, Bangkok or Paris but surely from the back seat of a taxi while not paying attention. There is no fucking way any Cambodian (who isn't an anikitchoun) could drive a car in any of these cities.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

I didn't imply they were driving there. I meant some ministry dude going on holiday with his wife (or mistress) and simply seeing them. Still, I'd say it's the dumbest overpass in the city (and as such, the country). I can't think of another that's a worst design. Stung Menchey is bad in that it's overly complicated and has zero signage, but it's otherwise fine. Oh yeah, and having that market just before the overpass also defeats the whole purpose, but that's another story.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

I was actually trying to emphases your post which I agree with.
I have another theory though; it is hard to advice Cambodians on architecture as they still see themselves as Angkorians and as such natural great builders :fool:
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Despite the fact that it's an Indian design...
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:Stung Meanchey is overly complicated, but the worst one by far is Chbah Ampeuh. Dumbest design ever, and I find it hard to believe the Chinese could have designed something so stupid. I almost assume a local who's never been abroad and with no overpass knowledge designed it.
You originally commented on the speed of construction so I compared the new overpass to SM where the road is curved and beside a canal. The CA bridge should have been the quickest to build since it is merely a bridge and doesn't make any effort to integrate traffic with the road it is bypassing. It seems the designer wasn't concerned with people who might want to turn left and either ignored them or felt that lengthy detours on congested roads would be acceptable.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic