How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

Post by newkidontheblock »

Vietnam has invaded Cambodia in the past . After the Khmer Rouge kept raiding Vietnamese villages and towns claiming stolen land, Vietnam got tired of it and took Phnom Penh and drove out the Khmer Rouge.

Nutshell history, of course.

Of course Cambodia would initially win in invading Thailand and Vietnam because they would be shocked Cambodia would be crazy enough to do such a thing.

Vietnam has the logistical experience of fielding armies for long periods of time that Cambodia lacks.

My opinions, of course.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I am semi-stoked about Cambodia and the future. Son was educated at West Point and wise Dad is covering his six ... what I see from a newbee's on-the-ground observation is this country is poppin' and they are headed in a good direction fo sho.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Lost50 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 am My understanding is Vietnam still has a hold on Cambodia.

You are more than 30 years out of date there.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 am
Lost50 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:54 am My understanding is Vietnam still has a hold on Cambodia.

Rainsy sock gotta Rainsy!
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Spigzy wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 am

Rainsy sock gotta Rainsy!
:D
Vietnamese have always been employed at the higher levels of the Cambodian government since the time of the Khmer kings. There is still a friendship day celebrated every year. And a joint mission to return missing Vietnamese troops.

And of course Khmer value Vietnamese women for their whiter skin and looks.

And yes, I am feeding it. There is always a nugget of truth in the most outrageous statement.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:11 am
Vietnamese have always been employed at the higher levels of the Cambodian government since the time of the Khmer kings.
No they haven't. The French employed quite a few but that's not the same thing. Can you name some Vietnamese in the current government?
There is still a friendship day celebrated every year.
There is no Cambodia-Vietnam friendship day.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I certainly was not out to 'troll'.

Regardless, I do appreciate that some of you gave some interesting info as oppose to just dismissing my comment.

I'm always open to learn & listen to others or to accept being wrong, its a trait a few here need to acquire.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

If Vietnam had this "hold on Cambodia", why would they allow Cambodia to support China in the South China Sea dispute?

http://ph.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/chin ... 160182.htm
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

Lost50 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:35 am I'm always open to learn & listen to others or to accept being wrong, its a trait a few here need to acquire.
It's a trait some 'educated' Khmers need to acquire.
Thedeven
Tourist
Botswana

Post by Thedeven »

I spent a few amazing months in Cambodia last year, and safety was never a major concern for me. Locals are incredibly friendly, and I felt at ease exploring the cities and rural areas. One time, I got a bit lost in Phnom Penh, and a local family not only gave me directions but also invited me to share a meal with them. Just keep your usual travel wits about you, and you'll likely have a fantastic time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic