How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: How safe do you feel in Cambodia in the modern world?

Post by ceoreg123 »

Yobbo wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:18 pm The conflict will most likely ignite in the South China sea with the Philippines, newly built airfields & naval bases by the Chinese in Cambodia will be in a direct firing line. The good guys will take out the road then go for the belt.....I reckon :good:
The most likely scenario for escalated conflict right now is in the middle east, with the US and Iran escalating. The second most likely scenario is the US escalating the conflict with Russia.

Either way I feel safer in SEA than I would living in EU right now.

Just my 2 cents.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:22 am I think the 10th Crusade is more likely than WWIII - my X feed is just awash with Europe being overrunwith Sharia idiots. Yesterdays news was an article about how Muslims are having deformed kids with their 1st cousins so they can claim benefits in the UK, $1.5/m per kid, etc and how the NHS is at breaking point (when is it not?) trying to deal with such cases & a whole host of diseases & ailments that hadn't been seen since the black plague. Grim stuff.
:ROFL:

That sounds like utter bollocks made up by people who have never worked a day in their lives, or it's a DailyMail story or you follow retards on X.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:22 am I think the 10th Crusade is more likely than WWIII - my X feed is just awash with Europe being overrunwith Sharia idiots. Yesterdays news was an article about how Muslims are having deformed kids with their 1st cousins so they can claim benefits in the UK, $1.5/m per kid, etc and how the NHS is at breaking point (when is it not?) trying to deal with such cases & a whole host of diseases & ailments that hadn't been seen since the black plague. Grim stuff.

The biggest problem in the World is the lack of strong western leadership; all these tinpot dictators & terrorists have no qualms on actions while the President of the USA cannot even navigate some stairs. Look at how pathetic Rishi Sunak is in the UK, and his inevitable replacement Starmer isn't even worthy of a "Blair Lite" title, it is dreadful. Who from Europe is strong - Macron? The guy could get an extra role in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Germany - Merkel's legacy isn't terrific, caving to the greens & ruining it's nuclear power options so now it is at the whim of Putin & gas imports.

Sadly the last time this happened, WWII, our little Austrian chum saw the same and took his chance. Neville Chamberlain was a godawful PM, FDR was disinterested in anything European. Daladier was an appeaser like Chamberlain, giving up the Sudetenland, rather than stand up to Hitler. And here we are again with a world of "peace keepers" and tree huggers who just don't see that that approach leads to men like Putin (I gotta find that song!) just riding roughshod over the world. USA cannot get rid of Biden soon enough, the UK better be looking for some new Churchill too.

that Putin song ...
Yes, we all get our breaking news on X (formerly Twitter).

Putin is running roughshod over the world? He can’t even handle Ukraine much less the world.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kenr wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:17 pm that approach leads to men like Putin (I gotta find that song!) just riding roughshod over the world. USA cannot get rid of Biden soon enough, the UK better be looking for some new Churchill too.
Putin is running roughshod over the world?
[/quote]

Come on, Kenr, he didn’t say that. He said men like Putin.
A sentiment I fully share.

The major powers with any semblance towards reasonable thought are sadly lacking in any credible political leadership, which will be needed.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

lets see; New chinese ( or Cambodian which Chinese can use) naval base in Ream>
access to the South China seas
is Cambodia safe?

IF and i pray its only IF, the shit hits the fan, no where is save and life as we know it now, might be very different when Trump get in and China & Russia flex their muscles.

Trump wants no more $$ for Ukraine
Out of the UN
maybe wont back Taiwan

America FIRST
and the last guy out, shut off the lights
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I don't get the hate on X to be honest. It is by far the most useful source of live news in the World. If you set it up properly you can get a decent balanced view on the news; e.g. I follow both Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer; and I have discerned that I wouldn't vote for either of them. If your follows are balanced, the feed is also - including things you don't want to believe, yet there they are from multiple sources. The whole Israel/Palestine thing is perfect example; some folks just blindly put out a flag for which one they support, and probably couldn't last 2 minutes in a debate on the subject before they'd be destroyed by the opposition (both ways). I frankly don't care, but it is intriguing to see more experienced duellists on the matter duke it out & make their counterpoints.

If I read BBC News, Trump is evil, Netanyahu is Hitler reincarnated, and men can menstruate - even when pregnant.

I'll be sticking to X thanks :)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:33 am For those in Cambodia worrying about conflicts in Ukraine, battles in the Middle East and the possibility of China invading Taiwan, don't overlook the fact the Iron Man is getting older and older, and one day he will disappear from the stage. That moment comes closer everyday.

Only then will become clear if the measures he and his clan have taken will be sufficient for a smooth transition into the new era for Cambodia. I am not 100% convinced that's the case, and if shit hits that fan, it might impact all of us in Cambodia in a big way.
I think the transition has been smooth as silk - the new man is adored by the military guys as he is one of them, some very good thinking by HE decades back to ensure that his son would not face a military coup a la Thailand/Burma, etc. If there was a chance for the military & any of the families involved therein, I would say it has passed & we're back into 'business as usual' territory. Given his overseas experience, I also tend to think that Cambodia finally had some luck & the new guy in time will seal a pretty tremendous legacy, the only way is up in the KoW, and they will love him for it.*
:hattip:

* could be wrong!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

There is a part of the westerner / foreign community who is here for convenient reasons regarding the lack of control, lack of cooperation with other countries forces / Interpol etc, the lack of other destinations to escape the situation they were in before landing here.
Not forgetting the ones who got in trouble here too, and are still staying there.

I'd be curious to read their answer about how they feel secure in (evolving) Cambodia in an (evolving and more cross-databased) modern world ?

HaifongWangchuck
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by HaifongWangchuck »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:21 pm Unless China plants the idea for Cambodia to reclaim stolen lands and starts a war with Thailand and Vietnam, Cambodia is quite safe from war.

But Cambodia gets lots of imported goods that could be affected by a major regional war.

Get used to eating traditional foods and lack of western products and everything will be fine.

Still a good place to retire for me.

US, Europe (including Italy) are all targets for conflict.

My opinions, of course.
I feel like it would be a golden opportunity for Thailand and Vietnam to further industrialise and export these goods to the rest of the world (as most of the "Western" goods we get here from Heinz ketchup to Gilette razors already are manufactured in Thailand).

Europe is certainly the worst place to be in any forseeable conflict, since the UK and US fully intend on sacrificing the rest of NATO into the pit of fire. With that said, I feel like Cambodia is quite possibly the safest place to be right now if only because Cambodia is in the rare position of having good relations with literally almost every country on earth, thus the incentive to attack or harm this country remains very low.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:20 pm There is a part of the westerner / foreign community who is here for convenient reasons regarding the lack of control, lack of cooperation with other countries forces / Interpol etc, the lack of other destinations to escape the situation they were in before landing here.
Not forgetting the ones who got in trouble here too, and are still staying there.

I'd be curious to read their answer about how they feel secure in (evolving) Cambodia in an (evolving and more cross-databased) modern world ?

Yo u won't read anything from these individuals that you mentioned, I know a few of them, all paranois.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic