Reminder to US expats -form 7162.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Reminder to US expats -form 7162.

Post by rgrowden »

Time to let Uncle Sam know that you're still alive, to keep those SS checks coming. You must send the original to the Philipines Embassy - they no longer accept a copy or fax. DHL will send it overnight for $60. Here you go:

F.B.U., S.S.A.
U.S. Embassy Manila
1201 Roxas Blvd.
Ermita, Manila 0930
Philipines
+63-2-5301-2000
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Reminder to US expats -form 7162.

Post by phuketrichard »

they send out notices to you in June and again in Sept /oct if they dont receive the June form back.

email from Manila last year
The annual questionnaires should be sent to the office in Wilkes Bare PA.If you have not yet received the barcoded 7162 form, please wait until the end of November. There is a second mailing this September/October.
You do not have to send the form via courier service; however, if you wish to do so, you may use the following address for courier service:

Social Security Administration

Wilkes-Barre Direct Operations Center
Attention: FEQ Analyst � Courier Seervice
1150 E. Mountain Dr. Room 341
Wilkes Barre, PA xxx-xx-xxxx
U.S.A.

Do not submit the completed form to the Federal Benefits Unit in Manila or to a U.S. Embassy/Consulate.
I used thai post this year ( 35 baht)

sent it to;
For ss letter verification
Mail to Social Security Administration
PO Box 7162
Wilkes Barre PA 19767-7162
USA

FIrst time in ages i did NOT receive the letter from them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

I've never received a letter from them. For 11 years I've sent the form to the Manila address. Never had a problem. But whatever works for you.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Limey here, why would the US Embassy in PP not handle this, where is the logic in using Manilla - and even more, why the heck is it not digital? I will sit down & have a cup of tea and a biscuit meanwhile!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:18 pm Limey here, why would the US Embassy in PP not handle this, where is the logic in using Manilla - and even more, why the heck is it not digital? I will sit down & have a cup of tea and a biscuit meanwhile!

I’m not sure why they have an embassy , passport middleman ?
it’s very stringent
The only thing the embassy here does consistently is observe all holidays
Both cambrodian and american
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Maybe a stupid question but if you have a bank in the USA w/ direct deposit-- why would it matter where you live?

What am I missing?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:24 am Maybe a stupid question but if you have a bank in the USA w/ direct deposit-- why would it matter where you live?

What am I missing?
who fucking knows, my SS goes direct into my US Citibank account
its not about where you live, BUT if ur alive
Each year they send me letter ( thailand an once to Kep in 2022) to ask if i am alive
which i NEED return

YET if i lived in the states not required to verify I am alive

ours is not to reason why.........
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Agree with it or not it's because in the US deaths are reported. Overseas, maybe, maybe not.
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Kenr wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:02 am Agree with it or not it's because in the US deaths are reported. Overseas, maybe, maybe not.
OK. But how do they know if your living Overseas or not??

Is it simply about having a mailing address? if thats the case, you can use a family member no?
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

BklynBoy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:04 pm
Kenr wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:02 am Agree with it or not it's because in the US deaths are reported. Overseas, maybe, maybe not.
OK. But how do they know if your living Overseas or not??

Is it simply about having a mailing address? if thats the case, you can use a family member no?
Some people don’t have a US mailing address or relatives they can use. I just informed you as to the reason why they require it for expats, not saying I like it or agree with it, it just is what it is.

And I’m sure some people may not want to have a mailing address in the US because of the state they are from. Some states require you to pay taxes on your SS benefits and other retirement benefits.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic