China's birth rate is dropping

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

China's birth rate is dropping

Post by YaTingPom »

"The National Bureau of Statistics said that the total number of people in China dropped by 2.08 million, to 1.4 billion, in 2023 and is likely to continue dropping to just around half a billion by 2100."

"The government is even going as far as calling and texting women to “encourage” them to have more children. One woman, who hid her second pregnancy a decade ago, and was fined $10,000 when officials found out, now gets text messages from government officials encouraging her to have more children. She deletes them in anger."

"In 2023, The New York Times reported there were 35 million more men than women in China."

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2024/ ... ild-policy"

Good, you might say. Most of the western countries are in the same situation.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Re: China's birth rate is dropping

Post by truffledog »

Chinese tend to spend a fortune on the education of the children. Many probably dont have the funds anymore to educate 2 or 3. So they concentrate on the one they can afford.
work is for people who cant find truffles
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The same could be said for most developed countries. Kids are expensive and the type of people who have lots of kids generally can't afford them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:16 am The same could be said for most developed countries. Kids are expensive and the type of people who have lots of kids generally can't afford them.
That's what I said.
Japan seems to be the worst off now, not in 10 years, now.

If I was 30 years younger I would go over there and do my best to help the population reduction. Japan or China, or both. I'm sure they don't mind a few hundred mixed long nose Asian babies.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

With regards to the decline in the western birth rate, I always thought that the movie "Idiocracy " rather hit the proverbial nail on the head in the opening scenes.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'm on the fence on this one, can't be convinced it is good or bad. I don't subscribe to it leading to the extinction of mankind, but feel that this sort of thing will go in cycles. The current environment whether political, economic, etc don't really add up for folks to have lots of kids. Resources whilst abundant in general if we maximised the full potential of the planet, typically aren't so freely available, so we've grown to this size which seems to fit. maybe radical changes in efficiency of power, food resourcing etc will change that & we can grow more, but for now we're at "max". Fast forward a century, maybe a thousand years and the population is dwindling there will an absolute abundance of everything cheaply due to the lower consumption, thus the barriers to having kids are removed & we start growing again. Add in multiplanetary expansion & all is good for the species right?

The only downside I hear is from economists or Musk types where "growth is king, anything else is a disaster" - aging population, nobody to do the jobs, etc. But then I would look at Japan and think - less people, but the folks there are automating just about everything with robots, etc - so how many people do you actually need? Technology potentially offsetting any productivity drop, because again the situation demands it. When humans are pushed into a corner, they find ways to overcome, I don't think this issue is any different.

I don't lose sleep over it, I've done my bit anyway (4 & counting..) :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:06 pmBut then I would look at Japan and think - less people, but the folks there are automating just about everything with robots, etc - so how many people do you actually need?
A lot. That is why Japan, traditionally very restrictive, lets in lots of foreigners now. When I was there last year, I came across foreign taxi drivers, hotel, and restaurant staff. A friend of mine, who went to uni in Japan, told me that demographics have changed dramatically in the last few years. Not everything can be automated. Sure, meals can be served by robots, but it is more of a gimmick than anything else.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Robots don’t get paid a salary, so can’t be taxed, which is the primary means governments use to fund pension, healthcare, and everything else.

The population boom of a country leads to dramatic economic growth, as evidence by the ‘Tigers’ of East Asia. The opposite happens when the population shrinks, and is tilted towards the elderly.

Western countries have been using immigration from high birth rate countries to stabilize population numbers and the curve.

China has it especially bad with the one child policy for decades. Enforced by a homogenous society (aka communist government) that isn’t open to multiple cultures and ideas that doesn’t encourage foreigners to become Chinese citizens.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

True, but somebody has to make said robots - corporate taxes can offset any losses from workers, and again the budget needed to support pensions, healthcare, etc would be less and less as the population decreases. And to be honest with some of the "retirement community" worker videos popping up on my X feed, fair to say a robot would be a much better option than random strangers beating your old grandma to death!

I'm just thinking back to medieval times & folks started recording this stuff, there is an explosion in growth across Europe due to better agricultural tools, etc. and then bam, the Black Death wipes out 50% of the population - and yet, here we all still are. Probably not a pleasant journey for recovery, but it didn't cause the human race to be wiped out like some of the Musky doomsayers. The world will change, humans will adapt, etc.

I will continue to drink tea & have a biscuit until I see a real reason for hysterical panic.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

What we really need is a decrease of birth rates in Africa and India. Having fewer Chinese on this planet is all good and well, but not enough of a reduction.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic