Skeet & Trap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Skeet & Trap

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

Looks like I am SOL in the KoC ... and dang, no more dog stew in Korea ... -2
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:26 pm
Fridaywithmateo wrote:Do they have any ranges in Cambodia?
As far as I know, Cambodian citizens are forbidden from owning firearms. Unless they are RCAF, Police, or just plain special. I would be very surprised if shooting sports are popular.
Your near complete lack of understanding never fails to amaze, Is that what your wife told you, or did you come up with an original thought (dream up some nonsense as it were) on your own?

I know quite a few Cambodians who have fired shots at shooting ranges in and around Phnom Penh. Go figure. Shock horror.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Owning a firearm and renting one at a range (and the ammunition per round at high prices - scarcity drives up price) are different.

[URL] https://www.jics.or.jp/jsac/Reports_Spe ... aw.pdf[URL]

Unless all these ordinary Cambodians you know bring their own guns and ammo to the range all the time to enjoy shooting.

Please let me know if the laws has magically changed.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

So it's Sunday,, I'm bored, so I'm making my first post on CEO for 2024.

Skeet, Trap or Clay bird , whatever you want to call it still beats the boring sports like rugby, cricket and hobbies like golf.

My life with guns started back in the late 1950,s when I bought my first Volke .177 air rifle. I think it may have been a German brand. Actually my mother had to buy it as I was too young, but I paid for it with money I had saved from selling beer bottles and Grey Menzies and Innis soft drink bottles. Can any Kiwi's here remember those ? Those were the days long before aluminium cans. Learning to shoot with only one shot at a time made you remember, you only get one chance to hit your target before it runs / flies away.
The gunshop owner was very strict with his instructions before allowing me to take the gun away. Like , only ever point the gun up at the sky , down at the ground or the target you are going to shoot. NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you have clearly identified your target. Judging by the way the IDF fire their weapons they were never told that. Also you and only you are responsible for your weapon and the damage it does, and every bit of ammunition you fire, wether it be a knife, stone from a slingshot , spear or arrow. I remember this well as I can remember having to pay for a broken window that jumped out in front of my slingshot.

By the time I was 13 yo, I was going duck shooting with my older brother and used his single barrel 12 gauge shotgun , as the 100 acres of land we lived on had a tidal river almost right around it. By the time I had left school at 15 y I had bought my own single barrel shotgun and as it had a full choke and 30 inch barrel it had a good range making it able for me to hit ducks that would normally be out of range. This was if you had a number 3 or 4 shot in the chamber.
I progressed to a double barrel shotgun, but never did like the width of the side by side system so I sold that and went to a U/over and my target rate improved a lot.
In the later years having a farm made it easy for me to invite a neighbour or friends over for some clay bird shooting as I had my own bird thrower and often had a day when we had target practice using .22 rifles. I had a variety of .22 at one stage and my best gun was a Bruno , made in Czechoslovakia, which convinced me to buy a Bruno 243 hunting rifle of a German tourist that had come on a hunting expedition to the Southern Alps and decided not to take it back to his home country. It had a 32 ? inch extra long barrel and came with scope and modifier, in a nice wooden case and I think it was made as a WW11 snipers rifle. Only used it once on a deer hunting trip in South Island . No deer, but wiped out a few wild pigs at hundreds of meters away .
EOS
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:48 pm
khmerhamster wrote:And for $30 you can blow up a cow with a RPG.

Or so some would have you believe.
Is that available again?

It was banned by the Queen mother some time back.

Something about not in accordance with the Buddhist values of Cambodia.

Same as the ban on openly spit roasting whole cows on the sidewalk.
The Queen mother has never banned anything. :please:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Back in the day I was on 11thMarRegt Skeet & Trap team … once shot a 94/100 … had invite to join the Marine Corps team and train for Olympics … but since I was a critical MOS (engineer mech) … my unit could not let me go. Would love to get back into it. Great sport!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

I'll let someone else handle this one :please:
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

@Fridaywithmateo all the girls want him, all the guys want to be like him.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

To answer the OP's question.

There are NO Skeet or DTL or Clay target ranges in Cambodia and certainly not so for the general citizenry or visitors to Cambodia. More is the pity.

I used to enjoy DTL - Down The Line - clay target shooting and ranked well and have a few break badges to prove it- ditto for Skeet, but not so well ranked, and really did well at Olympic Trench. But the best sport and fun of the day was "Sporting Clays".

And as Cambodia does not permit private citizens to own sporting firearms nor to buy reloading components for reloading shot gun cartridges, a weekend shooting clays would become very expensive, very quickly.

OML
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:34 am To answer the OP's question.

There are NO Skeet or DTL or Clay target ranges in Cambodia and certainly not so for the general citizenry or visitors to Cambodia. More is the pity.

I used to enjoy DTL - Down The Line - clay target shooting and ranked well and have a few break badges to prove it- ditto for Skeet, but not so well ranked, and really did well at Olympic Trench. But the best sport and fun of the day was "Sporting Clays".

And as Cambodia does not permit private citizens to own sporting firearms nor to buy reloading components for reloading shot gun cartridges, a weekend shooting clays would become very expensive, very quickly.

OML
I used to be good at DTL, but really enjoy wobble trap better ... more of a challenge.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic