Tub project

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Tub project

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

I want to DIY build a wooden bath for my place. Is there any good lumber yards to buy some good quality wood for such a project. Can be repurposed ... no need for anything fancy, but has to be of sufficient quality to hold water without rotting out. Oak, cedar, or ??? I am not sure what some of the timber in Cambodia is like. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Tub project

Post by ItWasntMe »

All I know is stay away from ABA. Shit looks cool though
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

I would imagine that you would want a wood that would expand when wet to seal the joints. Looks like a Japanese soaking tub.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

stevenjb wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:28 pm I would imagine that you would want a wood that would expand when wet to seal the joints. Looks like a Japanese soaking tub.
Zackly
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

That could be rubberwood, as it's the most porous and less dense wood in the area, holding enough structural strenght to keep strong, and cheapest with pinewood.
I don't know how it would react to water, but a harder local wood wouldn't dilate more in my opinion, as they are much harder / dense, although less prone to deterioration over time.
Available in 1 meter lenght more or less, easily.
Other than that, pine wood, often from discarded pallets, or from a wood dealer (some in Toul Kork)

Best would be teak, as it's oily and very stable in water, but not too sure about availability in Cambodia. Didn't see any fresh cuts.

Other woods, more expensive, heavier, harder, sometime forbidden (Rosewood) international species (Douglas, Oak, Beech etc...) available in Vietnam with MOQ, but overall : available.

Beware of wood cosmetics when buying a big log / slate ^^
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Looks good but...
1/ make sure it doesn't become an insect breeding place
2/ make sure the floor beneath it is good. 1 cubic meter of water weighs 1 ton.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Arigatogozaimasu
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic