ABA App possibly hacked

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: ABA App possibly hacked

Post by Kenr »

kritsana77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:26 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:28 am Sorry but your account wasn't hacked, it was accessed through the app on your phone.
Thank you. That is a constructive response. However, why did they not go into the other banking apps on my phone? To all of the other responses, I was not mugged by a gang nor under the influence of any substances legal or illegal. I went to ABA and they denied my screenshot was from their app. Then I had another supervisor come over and I opened it. It was their app. It is weak and they attempted and failed to get a dollar from me. ABA denied any responsibility and I will deposit 20 USD in that account for tuk-tuk rides.

All of the rest of you who have made false assumptions, I am going to assume you are sad and miserable people I like to avoid. Goodbye.
My response wasn’t directed at you because you don’t even know, by your own admission, if you were hacked or not.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

FYI, cell phones, in particular my two (2) IPhones, turn off then restart on their own after an update has completed.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:47 pm
kritsana77 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:26 pm
Kenr wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:28 am Sorry but your account wasn't hacked, it was accessed through the app on your phone.
Thank you. That is a constructive response. However, why did they not go into the other banking apps on my phone? To all of the other responses, I was not mugged by a gang nor under the influence of any substances legal or illegal. I went to ABA and they denied my screenshot was from their app. Then I had another supervisor come over and I opened it. It was their app. It is weak and they attempted and failed to get a dollar from me. ABA denied any responsibility and I will deposit 20 USD in that account for tuk-tuk rides.

All of the rest of you who have made false assumptions, I am going to assume you are sad and miserable people I like to avoid. Goodbye.
My response wasn’t directed at you because you don’t even know, by your own admission, if you were hacked or not.
Hold on a minute... the OP said their App "MIGHT" have been hacked and they had a panic attack and ran to the ATM and emptied their own account as a precaution. Now the story seems to have changed and we are now told:

However, why did they not go into the other banking apps on my phone?

So the OP is now claiming the hackers DID get into the ABA App, but no other banking apps.

We now also learn that the OP actually visited a branch (why? no money was stolen) and had an encounter whereupon:

I went to ABA and they denied my screenshot was from their app. Then I had another supervisor come over and I opened it. It was their app. It is weak and they attempted and failed to get a dollar from me. ABA denied any responsibility and I will deposit 20 USD in that account for tuk-tuk rides.

What screenshot? What was the complaint? That you were worried that you might have been hacked? I wish we could all hear that conversation.

Who attempted and failed to "get a dollar" from you? ABA? The non-existent hackers?

ABA denied any responsibility
ABA denied responsibility for what precisely? What was your accusation?

Your story has so many holes it is that it makes no sense whatsoever. I pity ABA for having to deal with crackpots like you who see their phone flashing and their befuddled brain take an unsubstantiated fear and it then metamorphises that fear into a 'fact'.

I would rather be a sad and miserable realist than a paranoid fantasist.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

He said he took a screenshot of the 2 suspicious favorites, then shuts off the phone. For the rest I am too lazy to comment, since this whole BS goes nowhere anyway
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Jimbean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:55 pm Lol .Very funny .waiting just the court issue in Pp and Siam Reap jugement of the thief we caught 4 months ago .If you want to meet and share a drink please just tell me time and place .I will show you documents photos answers of ABA bank and proof of police slackness
We will just wait for you to share on here.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

To the OP, (which quite possibly might be to Jimbean, too)

The ABA app fairly recently was updated, and looks quite a bit different. I just looked at mine to see if there were any obvious parallels to your ‘situation’. At a guess, you either accepted an app update, or iOS update which was triggered by you trying to do something which required one or both to be updated, or an automatic update was initiated which you weren’t expecting.

My list of favourites looks different from the previous version of the app- they’ve simply made it visually easier. It’s just the old favourites in pictorial form, each with its own icon, for quick access. You can easily edit/delete these if you don’t need them,

I think you should check whether you have automatic updates selected on, and then possibly turn it off. Especially if you need to feel more in control. The rest of this bizarre exchange reads so very similar, albeit less incoherent, to a couple of other contributors that have prior substance/alcohol issues, and whose contributions are just surreal at best.
Jimbean
Expatriate

Post by Jimbean »

I am not trying to convince anyone under influence oh alcohol ..lol.the story is still going on .I just wanted to share our experience and pain of the last 4 months and to tell everybody to be careful .We will know better when there will be a sentencing of one of the thief we caught in Siam Reap and when the municipal court in Pp will give a decision on a money transfer made in my case to another account at ABA bank .
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Why did you wait so long to share your experience?
Jimbean
Expatriate

Post by Jimbean »

It s not so long .We have been very busy the last 4 months to try to find out others victims and to understand what was going on .It is a very professional gang and they are very smart too .On the last 2 years many of us complained to Sangkats but nothing was done .We are still try to understand a bit.Do you want i tell you what happened without my knowledge after my phone was stolen .I just learned about it 6 days ago .
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Jimbean wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:37 am It s not so long .We have been very busy the last 4 months to try to find out others victims and to understand what was going on .It is a very professional gang and they are very smart too .On the last 2 years many of us complained to Sangkats but nothing was done .We are still try to understand a bit.Do you want i tell you what happened without my knowledge after my phone was stolen .I just learned about it 6 days ago .
yes, please do, always love a good yarn

PS:
how do u know it was stolen vs lost? did someone grab it while you were walking with it in ur hand along the road?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic