ABA App possibly hacked

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: ABA App possibly hacked

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:37 am
Jimbean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:12 am For the last 2 years in Pnom penh and Siam Reap a gang of thieves operated.They drugged 20 foreigners took control of ours phones and were able to get our Pin numbers .Many of us on a ABA account .The amount for each of us of the stolen money was between 5k and 56 k.ABA asked us to report to police .We did for many of us even with the extra amount of money to pay to make the police take ours complaints .ABA did nothing to help us like customers .Sure the ABA application seems nice but its very easy to hack it and they don t even ask for a password to protect the money transfer out of your account .
Not sure they found out the PIN codes. My guess is most people use 'thumb print approval' with the app. Can be used when your drugged.

I switched off the 'thumbprint approval service' after reading all those drugged phone owners horror stories. Now if they drug me at least they have to make me remember my PIN code. Makes the use of the app less user friendly, but it is what it is.

And when I venture for the darker side of town, I bring cash.
I did that too for the execution of payments, and the fingerprint for entry to the app. But it is also possible to have your PIN entry overlooked by someone else close to you. Once they have the PIN, they don't need the fingerprint to access the app, the fingerprint prompt can be bypassed by pressing cancel and then it offers you the PIN option.

If they steal your phone, and they know your PIN, they can be into your ABA account and the money will be out long before you can put a block on the account. A stranger can do this, but it's much easier for someone you know to learn your PIN and steal your phone at an opportune moment (perhaps shortly after you ended the relationship!)

Both methods of entry and withdrawal execution are nowhere near 100% safe, so it is best not to leave large sums sitting on the basic current account.

You can put them in a 1/2/3 month TD and earn (slightly) better interest, and I think there is no way of getting your TD's cancelled early without going into the bank. The TD's should be a 'return principle to account' at maturity, and not a 'rollover principle' so you can either redeposit them back into a TD if they are not needed right away, or spend it when it appears back into your current account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

ABA is incredible convenient. I haven't carried cash now for over a year. Everything is done through ABA.

However, never have too much money in the main ABA account that you use. Just keep enough for daily expenses. You can open separate accounts on the app very easily which use different PIN codes and you can also keep them hidden. If that's still not enough, open another account with a different bank (ACELEDA for example) and transfer money into ABA as and when you need it. If you're clever about QR codes, it doesn't cost you anything to transfer from one bank to another.

There is nothing you can do to keep yourself 100% secure, but you can minimise your risks immensely with just a few simple steps.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

The APP is world class. Compared to my Natwest APP it is far superior.

Modern ATM's cannot dispense fake money. In fact you can't even load it up with fake money because it is checked and triple checked by multiple people before it is loaded. They don't just grab some cash lying on the counter. It is sorted elsewhere specifically for loading of ATMs and is wrapped and sealed. If some fake money does happen to get past it is rejected into a bin, same for damaged notes.

It is 100% impossible to get fake or ghost money out of an ATM.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:49 am ABA is incredible convenient. I haven't carried cash now for over a year. Everything is done through ABA.

However, never have too much money in the main ABA account that you use. Just keep enough for daily expenses. You can open separate accounts on the app very easily which use different PIN codes and you can also keep them hidden. If that's still not enough, open another account with a different bank (ACELEDA for example) and transfer money into ABA as and when you need it. If you're clever about QR codes, it doesn't cost you anything to transfer from one bank to another.

There is nothing you can do to keep yourself 100% secure, but you can minimise your risks immensely with just a few simple steps.
"Ay-cee-leeda" or "Ak-lee-da"?

I say the former and many expats scoff but that s how the locals say it and the bank staff. "Welcome to 'Ay-cee-leeda' bank"
Jimbean
Expatriate

Post by Jimbean »

I never went on this forum too much because my native language is not english like you can guess.But we need to share soon this big story about a gang drugging and stealing foreigners for the last 2years .You will be surprised ..
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

YaTingPom wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:36 am
xandreu wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:49 am ABA is incredible convenient. I haven't carried cash now for over a year. Everything is done through ABA.

"Ay-cee-leeda" or "Ak-lee-da"?

I say the former and many expats scoff but that s how the locals say it and the bank staff. "Welcome to 'Ay-cee-leeda' bank"

It can be seen from the Khmer spelling of the name that it's pronounced "Ay-cee-lee-da"

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:16 pm

It can be seen from the Khmer spelling of the name that it's pronounced "Ay-cee-lee-da"

Not everyone is an accomplished polyglot like you.

(I read your reply with a really nasally voice, hope you don't mind)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jimbean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:46 am But we need to share soon this big story about a gang drugging and stealing foreigners for the last 2years .You will be surprised ..
Eagerly anticipating the upcoming anticlimax
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:57 pm
Jimbean wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:46 am But we need to share soon this big story about a gang drugging and stealing foreigners for the last 2years .You will be surprised ..
Eagerly anticipating the upcoming anticlimax
Indeed.

We will be surprised if we hear anything further apart from the paranoid nonsense you have already posted.
Jimbean
Expatriate

Post by Jimbean »

Lol .Very funny .waiting just the court issue in Pp and Siam Reap jugement of the thief we caught 4 months ago .If you want to meet and share a drink please just tell me time and place .I will show you documents photos answers of ABA bank and proof of police slackness
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic