Masala Dosa Street Kitchen

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Re: Masala Dosa Street Kitchen

Post by Stravaiger »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 am
A menu the size of a packet of cigarettes is a miserable soulless husk of what a menu can be and should be. I wonder if these tech pioneers have thought about that? I wonder if they have ever seen one. I suspect they see a great menu as one that costs nothing and seamlessly integrates with their POS, online ordering, delivery and payment systems. It's a sad fucking rabbit hole we are going down.
They have probably only ever eaten cold food from polystyrene containers ordered online from their workstations.

Totally agree although I just worked out that by POS you meant Point Of Sale. I think.

It won't be long before we will be asked to order, pay and then tip online. For any questions or complaints about the food please contact AI-powered customer services via Telegram.

The Vietnamese will love this, letting you order from one menu and then with the press of a button bill you from another one with significantly increased prices. Although admittedly they have already been known to do this with printed menus.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Some people are being dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming...
Stravaiger
Expatriate

Post by Stravaiger »

hanno wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:41 pm Some people are being dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming...
I won't deny it - I've been called a technophobe and a Luddite.

I notice that at Lucky and Mini C I'm often asked if I can pay with my phone instead of cash. I finally asked a cashier why, and she said it was easier for her if she didn't have to count money.

I do agree that it is progress - just in the wrong direction.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

If I have to fill in forms or whatever to order, then I'm keeping part of the tip or service charge for myself, seems fair.
mikeukt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by mikeukt »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:23 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:41 pm Some people are being dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming...

I notice that at Lucky and Mini C I'm often asked if I can pay with my phone instead of cash. I finally asked a cashier why, and she said it was easier for her if she didn't have to count money.

So I'm in my 70s and I'd rather pay in cash (coz I learnt how to count!) than trust some digital gadget, maybe we oldies should just go die and leave this to the.... the whats???????
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pretty sure our parents complained how TV's were going to make us all stupid (though they were probably right), our grandparents saw radio as the end of the world, and our grandparents the telegraph as the coming of the apocalypse.

All the people here complaining about cash-less payments and digital payments: you are hacking out your comments on what exactly? Pen and paper?
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

I think previous developments were to ease up the life of people, while development today is to maximize profit and bind as many people as possible. Items you bought get useless after a while, because the required cloud services are getting shut down or the required app is no longer available. It goes that far, that you don't even own anything any longer, everything is made available "as a service" by subscription. Sustainability as become obsolete with this, as long as you are willing to spend continuously money into this system. If not, you are put on cold turkey. Life starts to get seriously complicated not just because the alternatives have become rare or do not even exist any longer, but society is putting serious pressure on you as well.
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I am one of those:
ate a few weeks ago at a shaba restaurant , ( all u can eat hot pot where items go around and you take what you want) here in Kamala>
gave me the menu an i said, ok an ordered for the two of us>
she than came back with a receipt with a qr code, telling me to download it on my phone, ( which i didn't have with me) an order what items i wanted> I told her no phone so she gave me hers and i said what i wanted> and she told me i had to order>>
WTF>>>

Never will go back

I want a menu, I want pay in CASH

as to many using phones to pay, 80% of them it takes 2.3x as long to pay as they dont know what the fuck they are doing or something goes wrong....and they have to start all over !!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

And they can collectively shove their self order kiosk up their asses. I want to go to a counter, order from an actual human (who is actually getting paid, I"M not!) and pay with cash. I don't give a fuck if this makes me old school or a luddite. It is simply my preference.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Stravaiger wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:23 pm

Just so I am not branded as a complete Luddite, I will always chose the digital payment over cash. Cash is messy, I like my ABA QR or paying in USD or THB or whatever with my Wise account via a mobile wallet. So there! I am a technie!! ;-)

Furthermore, I have been happily using McDonalds electronic menu, it is great and I tap and pay with my mobile wallet. I am ordered and paid with 2 mins. The difference is this electronic menu is the size of a 60" TV mounted on its side, and it is easy to use, not some tiny thing on my small phone.

Compare that with a visit yesterday to a KFC, which was overrun by Indians who were debating and pontificating over which bargain bucket deal was better and asking the poor Thai girl a million questions which she couldn't understand. That lot need one of those big electronic menus so they don't hold up the line for others who think about their purchase before the reach the front of the line.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic