Shipping to Cambodia (custom nightmare)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hmph
Expatriate

Shipping to Cambodia (custom nightmare)

Post by hmph »

I'm currently going through the same nightmare as this guy: post612436.html#p612436

DHL says I have to go them, pay 16 USD for documents. Then print some more documents. Then go to customs at PP airport and give them the documentation and pay import fees.

And when I asked them to return it to the sender. They said, sure that takes 21 days and that will be 300 USD in processing fees.

Doing a bit of google search, I can't find much about this. Is this a new thing? It seems to only apply for anything above 50 USD in value.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Shipping to Cambodia (custom nightmare)

Post by Spigzy »

Yes I was also quoted $300 by DHL to return to sender - and that was for a $20 item that I "needed a medical import license for"; turns out I didn't need a license, was purely cosmetics (for Mrs Spigz of course), & the customs folks put it through with the rest of the delivery.

The customs process actually isn't too bad once you know the ropes;
1. get the docs from DHL (that $16 fee doesn't sit well..) - you can choose for DHL to still deliver to your home, or if you want to pick the item up yourself (this means you will need to go to the cargo terminal twice, same day pickup isn't an option)
2. Take it to the cargo terminal/customs office over the road
3. Stick you head in the first door on the left, and be told to wait very abruptly (no English signs, it is 100% khmer language type of place, but they speak good English)
4. wait (on a busy day this took me maybe 30-45 mins.
5. Sit with customs folks with documents; they will advise you there is a 20% 'personal import' tax you need to pay on top of the value of the item(s)
6. Take customs docs to the broker at the other end of the hall (on the right as you get in (Sela Theng is his name)
7. He will explain how you left it a bit late so now there are some storage fees to take care of; these are tiny compared to the 20%, so just be nice at this stage.
8. If you ticked DHL deliver; he will give it back to them & they deliver, if you chose to pickup yourself, he'll tell you when to come back.

Make sure you have digital copies of you passport and the invoices to hand so you can Telegram them to the broker dude; he won't accept other comms, only Telegram. You can pay by QR code scan, so any bank that is on Bakong and definitely ABA which most expats have anyway.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

After a couple of run-ins with DHL (fees for a pair of shoes would have been in excess of $400), I have since bought a couple of items through Camboquick. No fuss, no muss and DHL can go and %@$# off.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

As mentioned before - DHL here are owned and operated by DHL Group, and the employees are DHL employees. UPS and FedEx are actually local companies that act as agents.
Local companies/employees can happily do things that a DHL company/employee can't because of their compliance rules.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sorry to say the process with UPS was identical. FedEx I haven't used lately, I only tended to use them for sending letters as they had the best price by far.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:37 am Make sure you have digital copies of you passport and the invoices to hand so you can Telegram them to the broker dude; he won't accept other comms, only Telegram. You can pay by QR code scan, so any bank that is on Bakong and definitely ABA which most expats have anyway.
Thank you for that info. Can I pay with cash though? Because I don't have ABA or anything like that. Just cash and debit card.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I saw he has a cash box on his desk, so I guess so, but can't confirm 100% sorry.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:34 pm I saw he has a cash box on his desk, so I guess so, but can't confirm 100% sorry.
Maybe the cash box is for "tips" only... 8)
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

In the past it was that a brooker that contacted and told me, that there is a DHL shipping for me and asked me for 20% of the price declared on the papers. If agreed, a few days later the DHL guy rang my bell. I never tired to find out what happens if you decline. However, I just checked and he has deleted his Telegram account, so it looks that this guy is no option any longer, so I would definitely give the how-to from @Spigzy a try
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

The whole thing does highlight one of the too scarce benefits to be back in Europe.
Went to Sweden monday to buy a car, i'm just back with it by road throught 6 countries, no stop, no hassle, no tips, and a smooth admin process.

Well, except if you' re a Brit.
Must feel a bit like déja-vu...^^
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic