Shipping to Cambodia (custom nightmare)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Re: Shipping to Cambodia (custom nightmare)

Post by YaTingPom »

I imported a load of electrical stuff and got stung on import duties, via DHL of course.

We spent a day at customs by the airport and used a fixer to get everything done. Lots of visits to the same department and crossing over to the warehouse. We did get it all done in a day and left with the goods that same day, but. slightly poorer.

Our fixer spoke English.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I've imported all sort of crap from the UK from shoes, clothes, small electricals, my set of good cooking knives and more recently I have brought in some pharmaceuticals from India.

I always use the postal service, from the UK either BPost (Belgium Post via Interparcel) or Royal Mail and from India my suppliers use either EMS or India Post. Nothing has ever gone missing, it takes about 2 -3 week and is as cheap as chips. The packet turns up at the Post Office in PP and I collect it. The Post Office now has an EMS desk inside and they seem quite efficient.

What you chose to declare as to the value is a matter for you, but let's say I haven't been troubled by any duties or paperwork thanks to the magic of De Minimis - $50 or less. (Thanks again @Bluenose) . They haven't opened the small packages from India (about the size of a box of tissues) and even the larger ones (think small holdall) from the UK are only opened (by yourself) and the inspection is cursory.

If your vendors insist on using expensive couriers, at your expence, find new vendors.
rgrowden
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rgrowden »

Never again will I try to ship from the US via DHL. I recounted my nightmare with them a couple of months ago. Since that debacle, I've twice ordered via CamboDirect. First time took 4 weeks from order to delivery. Second order, which arrived last week, took 20 days. No paperwork no customs, no fees. They charge $13/kilo, have my highest recommendation. Saved my sanity - I love CamboDirect.
hmph
Expatriate

Post by hmph »

An update: I just got an email from Amazon that they will refund me everything including shipping as it was returned to them. Despite me telling DHL I wanted it to be returned to sender and them telling me that wasn't possible and that the customs would seize it.

I told them fine, I don't care. But I'm glad DHL was wrong or just blatantly lying.

Still, a big thank you to @Spigzy for his detailed explanation as I will surely have to import something more important in the future.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

hmph wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:29 am An update: I just got an email from Amazon that they will refund me everything including shipping as it was returned to them. Despite me telling DHL I wanted it to be returned to sender and them telling me that wasn't possible and that the customs would seize it.

I told them fine, I don't care. But I'm glad DHL was wrong or just blatantly lying.

Still, a big thank you to @Spigzy for his detailed explanation as I will surely have to import something more important in the future.
Strictly speaking, once something is manifested into the country you need a re-export permit before it can be sent back out again, and that normally works out about $200 for something small.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic