Your Mother's Tattoos

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Your Mother's Tattoos

Post by sigmoid »

Although tattoos have become increasingly more popular and mainstream in recent decades, I'm still a little shocked when I see a family here on holiday with school-aged kids and the mom has a fair number of tattoos. I often wonder how the kids feel about their mom having tattoos.

So, did your or does your mom have tattoos?

If so, how did or do you feel about that?

If not, how would you feel if your mother got one?

Would you encourage your dear old mum to get a tattoo?

In general, do you think it's a good idea for mothers to have tattoos openly or should they try to conceal them?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Your Mother's Tattoos

Post by newkidontheblock »

My mom is an 80 year old plus Asian (Taiwanese) with early stage Alzheimer’s. Women in that generation did not get tattoos unless they were criminals. A few generations before that still practiced foot binding.

Even if she got one, she would forget about it after getting it and ask me all the time when she got it and why.
Fridaywithmateo
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by Fridaywithmateo »

My dear mom passed 2019 and was old school Polish ... zero tattoos. But in Okinawa, even today you can find old ladies on outer islands with marking tattoos of ownership ... and a very few (if still alive) have blackened tooth to protect from body snatcher sailors ... for what it's worth ... slow night.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/ ... tradition/

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

My mother didn't have tattoos, and it would have been unthinkable. I'm fairly sure that to this day, no member of my family has any tattoos; we tend to see that as trashy.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Alex wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:42 pm My mother didn't have tattoos, and it would have been unthinkable. I'm fairly sure that to this day, no member of my family has any tattoos; we tend to see that as trashy.
Nobody in my immediate family has tattoos. Most of my friends don't have them either. I don't get why people even get them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

How do kids feel about their dad having a tattoo?
Or is this another of those wildly sexist posts where we hold men and women to different standards?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

And for the record, I have a tattoo and my son couldn't care less. He knows his Mum is a strong, independent woman who makes her own decisions about her body and doesn't allow anyone to make her feel bad about for her choices.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

I was tattooed by a drunk fisherman in Portland, Maine. All things considered, he did a pretty good job.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I’m tattooed, and if you think it’s trashy, I give zero fucks. My dear old Mum bucket-listed a tattoo at 74. Because she wanted to do it. No other reason. Same reason she smoked her first joint at 67. She will give as many fucks as I do, stop being judgmental pricks. People have choices. They make them. Just because they don’t jive with yours makes them no less wrong or right than you.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Yerg wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 3:32 am I’m tattooed, and if you think it’s trashy, I give zero fucks. My dear old Mum bucket-listed a tattoo at 74. Because she wanted to do it. No other reason. Same reason she smoked her first joint at 67. She will give as many fucks as I do, stop being judgmental pricks. People have choices. They make them. Just because they don’t jive with yours makes them no less wrong or right than you.
Couldn't agree more. If it doesn't hurt or affect others, who cares.
Not only with tattoos either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic