The Henley Passport Index 2023

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

The Henley Passport Index 2023

Post by phuketrichard »

Singapore 1
Japan 2
Finland 3
UK 4
USA 7
Thailand 64
Cambodia 86
Laos 91
Burma 92
Afghanistan 105 ( last)

https://www.henleyglobal.com/passport-index/ranking
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The Henley Passport Index 2023

Post by Kammekor »

Cambodian Passports look like a bargain, the cheapest one only costs 1,37 times its' ranking (86th @ 115$).

Compare that to German passport which costs 23,3 times its' ranking (3rd, EUR 70,-).
YaTingPom
Expatriate
Palestine

Post by YaTingPom »

Are my eyes crap, where is Cambodia on that infographic. It's in Asia.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

YaTingPom wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:47 am Are my eyes crap, where is Cambodia on that infographic. It's in Asia.
It just shows a selection.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YaTingPom wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:47 am Are my eyes crap, where is Cambodia on that infographic. It's in Asia.
i noticed that as well and all i can think is they consider Cambodia part of China now :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

So, who the fuck are Henley & what makes them any kind of authority on passports?

Their mediocre website does not illuminate
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:02 am
It just shows a selection.
Need to click on the link to see all
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Singapore 1
Japan 2
Finland 3
UK 4
IRELAND 4
USA 7
Thailand 64
Cambodia 86
Laos 91
Burma 92
Afghanistan 105 (

I made an amendment.

There are many countries that rank at 4. However, with my newly minted Irish passport I can go anywhere in the EU for pretty much as long as I want. I can only spend 90 days out of any 180 period. I don't know of any country I cannot walk into with my Irish passport on the same terms as my British one. I rank my Irish one as #1. It also is a much safer document to travel on if you're in anywhere that the UK/US have recently invaded.

Germany, Spain, Italy, France, Sweden and Finland are all ranked at 3. So why isn't the Irish one stuck at 4? IIRC, it also has the benefit of having totally free movement in the UK too due to it not being in Shengen, but I don't see the hardship of that.

@John Bingham I think you are Irish? What detracts from the Irish passport to rank it less than Spain or Italy?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:53 am So, who the fuck are Henley & what makes them any kind of authority on passports?

Their mediocre website does not illuminate
They crunch the data, and make it a little more ‘accessible’.
Henley wrote: The Henley Passport Index
The Henley Passport Index is the original, authoritative ranking of all the world’s passports according to the number of destinations their holders can access without a prior visa. The index is based on exclusive data from the International Air Transport Association (IATA) –
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henley_Passport_Index
(But some of that info is out of sync, though)

They’re one of several resources doing a similar thing. Largely, taking the knowledge that Organisations like IATA produce, and presenting it in a quick read format.

Put simply- If you’ve got this particular passport, how easy is it to travel anywhere? Can you just jump on a plane and go, and sort out entry stuff on arrival, for instance? Or do you need to spend weeks/months/$$$ arranging visas and permits before you even think about travelling there?

UK/Ireland ranking at 4 each
USA at 7
Cambodia down at 86
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:37 pm
What detracts from the Irish passport to rank it less than Spain or Italy?
I’m guessing-politics. There’s probably a few banana republics or Islamic federation of friendly host countries that have their collective noses out of joint, and impose visa restrictions on tit-for-tat policies.
Or maybe it’s the border with the north.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic