Star Bar Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Star Bar Siem Reap

Post by Doc67 »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:00 am It's not so much pills and checkups you need to worry about. Although for the pill part it's hard to find a place with a more liberal over the counter drug policy.

It's what happens and where you are sent after that unfortunate bone crushing moto crash. The ones where you are too fucked up to hop on a flight.
Or the ubiquitous heart attack. Or a stroke. Both of which are generally treatable and life saving medical attention is available in Bangkok. People still die, even with the best care. There's nothing you can do about that.

But... In PP, if your life depends on timely transportation to a hospital - in an ambulance with trained medical staff with proper equipment and drugs - and then an ICU unit waiting for your arrival- you are fucked because non of that exists here.

They won't ask "where does it hurt?", they will ask, "where is your money?".
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:45 am
johnny lightning wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:00 am It's not so much pills and checkups you need to worry about. Although for the pill part it's hard to find a place with a more liberal over the counter drug policy.

It's what happens and where you are sent after that unfortunate bone crushing moto crash. The ones where you are too fucked up to hop on a flight.
But... In PP, if your life depends on timely transportation to a hospital - in an ambulance with trained medical staff with proper equipment and drugs - and then an ICU unit waiting for your arrival- you are fucked because non of that exists here.
None of it?
Bit sensationalist Doc. And not totally correct.

15 years ago medical evacuation to Bangkok was common, but now many more treatments can be done here. Royal PP for one is a sister hospital of one of the big Bangkok hospitals and many of their doctors are on rotation from there.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:05 pm
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:30 pm
HaifongWangchuck wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:19 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 pm There’s a big hole left by the departure of Chinese mass tourism. The economy is in a downturn, and having a job is the number one priority now.

The pre-Chinese mix seemed far more stable and sustainable. Hopefully it will return that way,

My opinions. I hope to retire there someday.
Been noticing a lot of Americans in SR lately, which is really odd sinces I've gone months without seeing one (i.e, not a single one in sight circa jol jnam tmey) and now suddenly I see a lot of Baby Boomers in their 60s and 70s with midwest and west coast accents all around town, which is a bit peculiar. Either way, they all seem like good, wholesome visitors and I am sure they are exactly the type Cambodia is trying to attract more of.
Because a lot of us are sick of Thailand, for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better.
speak for urself :please:
Why? Im not the only one. Everyone has their reasons for being somewhere and I don't have ego needs tied up in my choice of overseas residence.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

Or the ubiquitous heart attack. Or a stroke. Both of which are generally treatable and life saving medical attention is available in Bangkok. People still die, even with the best care. There's nothing you can do about that.

They won't ask "where does it hurt?", they will ask, "where is your money?".
If thr widowmaker hits me Im gonna die no matter where. I try to be safe, avoid motorcylces, watch what I eat and drink, insure myself heavily including evac and Bangkok, where my cardiologist is, is no more that an air evac away. I get regular checkups in Bangkok. The shittiness of the medical care here has alwya figured into my life equation, no different though than living in a MooBan in Buriram, where all good Pattaya boys go to retire. And if you want to see medical whores with credit card machine in hand, go to Phuket. The difference between an air evac or even an ambulance ride to BKK and the same in Alaska is that the ones in Alaska are longer and colder.

Stabilize me and get me the fuck outahere. Heres the credit card. Here is the insurance card.
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

khmerhamster wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:22 am

None of it?

15 years ago medical evacuation to Bangkok was common, but now many more treatments can be done here. Royal PP for one is a sister hospital of one of the big Bangkok hospitals and many of their doctors are on rotation from there.
Same as Siem.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:39 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 pm There’s a big hole left by the departure of Chinese mass tourism. The economy is in a downturn, and having a job is the number one priority now.

The pre-Chinese mix seemed far more stable and sustainable. Hopefully it will return that way,

My opinions. I hope to retire there someday.
Been noticing a lot of Americans in SR lately, which is really odd sinces I've gone months without seeing one (i.e, not a single one in sight circa jol jnam tmey) and now suddenly I see a lot of Baby Boomers in their 60s and 70s with midwest and west coast accents all around town, which is a bit peculiar. Either way, they all seem like good, wholesome visitors and I am sure they are exactly the type Cambodia is trying to attract more of.
Because a lot of us are sick of Thailand, for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better.
Why? Im not the only one. Everyone has their reasons for being somewhere and I don't have ego needs tied up in my choice of overseas residence.
when i moved to Kep in June 2022, EVERYONE one of my friends asked "what the fuck for"?

Not one ( even those on fb) said good idea>
Hence to say they were right, but at the time, for various reasons, it felt the right thing to do>
dam glad to be back in Phuket

fyi; its NOT the medical that i returned for.

please explain , why " for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better."
other than saving less than $200 on the 1 year visa extension.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
WildAlaskaKen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildAlaskaKen »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:16 am
WildAlaskaKen wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:39 am

when i moved to Kep in June 2022, EVERYONE one of my friends asked "what the fuck for"?

Not one ( even those on fb) said good idea>
Hence to say they were right, but at the time, for various reasons, it felt the right thing to do>
dam glad to be back in Phuket

fyi; its NOT the medical that i returned for.

please explain , why " for us oldsters, Cambodia is much better."
other than saving less than $200 on the 1 year visa extension.
Dude, I gave my opinion and Ill leave it to others to make their own determinations as to such factors as environment, government, things to do, taxes, fees, food, laws, rules, medical care, social surroundings, pussy, etc, and what of those factors take priority.

Although I dont post a lot, Ive read enough of this forum to know that your raison d'etre here is to praise Thailand and bad mouth Cambodia eveidntly because you came here and didnt like it. Its weird that you come on a Cambodian forum to do so even though you purportedly live in Phuket. But no mind, Im not going to engage in your game.I like it here as do the folks I know. And, if I feel like exploring the fleshpots or need some dental work, hello Air Asia.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

None of it?

Well, maybe they are better than I believe, but you still have to get one of their ambulances to come and get you. How do you do that when you are gasping for breath on the floor?

If you do manage to find the number and call the Royal PP, will they come out on a phone call, or do you have to be registered with them first? To have proved your financial metal? Be conscious and lucid to able to convince them you can pay?

The older I get the less living here seems a smart choice.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

None of it?

You have a source?

I have the feeling they send their juniors to Royal Phnom Penh.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:28 am Thailand Vietnam Singapore are all just flights away. What’s to stop retirees from filling up with pills and check ups and touch up procedure every few months there and just spend the rest of the time living a relaxed life in Siem Reap?

Thinking about the logistics when I retire myself.
A pretty dumb statement from someone who just had a heart attack, I'd think. Sometimes hopping on a flight for pills or a check-up just doesn't cut it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic